• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goffin cockatoo?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
So while we haven't even attended a class for the rescue yet,....I keep being drawn to this guy who's there. His name is Caspar and he's in his 30's. How are they compared to other too's?

It may not even be a possibility as my son has allergies to certain things. But I'm trying to find out information so I know what to expect when we start the process :) IMG_2451.PNG IMG_2450.PNG IMG_2449.PNG
He is just so beautiful! Obviously I have no idea which one they will place us with....but if it worked out with this one.....ahhh

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Ahhh. I didn't go down far enough. I assumed it was mainly Galahs. Thank you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If you do a search for Elvis or Ghost you will see a bunch of recent discussions about goffins as both @Tyrion and I recently got one. (Elvis is my foster bird.) Elvis is my first too experience. He is smart. Like super smart. He likes to take things apart, and I'm in the process of trying to figure out what to give him to keep him mentally stimulated. He is very gentle for a cockatoo. I think that's more him than being a goffin trait. He talks. And he's learning new words already in the short time I've had him. He likes to hop and climb a lot. He can be loud and has screaming bouts, but my guess is a goffin's screams are not as loud as other cockatoos, but much louder than my cockatiel's were. He is fairly independent which I don't know if that's typical goffin or not. He wants to be in the same room as us and will come to sit with us for short periods of time but likes to spend most of his time hanging out on top of his cage. He is messy. Very messy and loves to throw food out of his food dish, etc. I have found his dust to not be that bad although they are dusty. I'm still learning- we've only had him about 2 and a half weeks. I'm sure others who have had goffins longer can offer more advice. Casper is a cutie. :)

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Goffins are the "crown princes" of the 'too world. :)

We were thisclose to adopting one before Milton came into our lives. While we were being vetted by the rescue, the G2 that we were interested in was adopted by another couple...

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
If my sons allergies bother him then it will be a no go....but just like Diego, I couldn't stop thinking about him. I saw him for adoption months ago but always thought I wouldn't be able to own a cockatoo because of his allergies...but now that he's older I'm not sure they bother him anymore....then again...there's a lot of conures there and they are my favorite so we will see. He's just so beautifully feathered and in great health

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm allergic to cats but Elvis's dander doesn't bother me at all.

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
That sweetie reminds me of my beloved Jasper who recently passed. Jasper was a goffin/bare eyed hybrid. He was super gentle, often loud, and so loved. He was a busy guy. Loved to swing and twirl like a mad man on his toys. if he was out of his cage he was on someone. He would never stay on a stand which was sometimes tough. Now that I have Layla my Galah, I see how different he was than her. She's much much more independent. Quieter and takes life more seriously than Jasper ever did. I hope you get matched with your perfect bird! Excited to hear how it turns out for you! IMG_1483.JPG

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh and my daughter and husband both have pretty significant allergies (cats, horses, rabbits, various grasses) and neither are bothered by Too dander and dust. Hopefully your little guy will be ok too!

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
IMG_2452.PNG

This is what it says about him in the description

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
My experience with G2s is limited. But I found most that I met were really hyper and active, thou I have met couple shy lay back ones who were just the sweetest. I have read that because their tendency so active that they really do benefit from a larger cage. I always think bigger is better when it come to cages but I think this is especially true when it comes to Goffins. Good luck with everything :)

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
I'll most likely be parroting (hehe!) what others say but:

My Goffins experience comes from the rescue I volunteer at, I've never owned one. They're VERY active little guys. I imagine you need to do a lot to keep them busy ( my RB2 isn't nearly as active as a Goffins and we constantly are giving him new things) They are Silly and goofy too. However they are very loud, and I've read a lot about people complaining/having issues with the screaming. Most of the Goffins I've met are pluckers, doesn't seem like the boy you're interested in is, but they are known to be a bit on the neurotic side..

Don't forget that the little guys can be as tough as the big 'toos! Just do all the research you can :)

madison nicole

Walking the driveway
My only experience with a g2 was at a rescue I helped take care of one for a month. He was loud but I've learned that's nothing compared to my U2. They are definetly clowns though and super smart. Great big small companions lol. Just please do lots of research

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
View attachment 247876

This is what it says about him in the description
This is so exciting, Casper sounds lovely. I looked at his description too since I adopted From Phoenix Landing. I have been to three classes now and planning on the one on the 20th in Fairfax. Are you in VA or in NC? I wish and one day I will own a cockatoo. They have some lovely ones.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
This is so exciting, Casper sounds lovely. I looked at his description too since I adopted From Phoenix Landing. I have been to three classes now and planning on the one on the 20th in Fairfax. Are you in VA or in NC? I wish and one day I will own a cockatoo. They have some lovely ones.
I'm in NC and am planning on going to the May 7th class in Cary since it's the closest one to us right now

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
My only experience with a g2 was at a rescue I helped take care of one for a month. He was loud but I've learned that's nothing compared to my U2. They are definetly clowns though and super smart. Great big small companions lol. Just please do lots of research
If it's one thing I'm good at, it's research, trust me. I researched for around a year before I brought Tuki home and then a few more months before Diego. I'm always online and on here learning. AA is family to me and have helped me through so much, including the loss of my conure in December. Research is one thing I will always do! I feel like I do it in my sleep sometimes :laugh:

But it is with a rescue so their is a two month foster period to see if the bird is a good fit to begin with. So it's definitely not something I'm jumping into. They determine what is a good fit and we see how it goes

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have lived with a Goffin's for about 28 years. Goffin's are generally very intelligent and have excellent mechanical skills. They are very good problem solvers. They will take things apart once they figure out how to do that. They can scream very loudly for attention, if something bothers them, when they want to go to bed, when they don't want to go to bed, etc. They are Houdinis and can learn how to escape from cages so one must be sure that their cages are escape proof. Remember that every bird is an individual and what I have written are generalizations. My Goffin's, Keno, is generally independent and, although she has a loud scream she does not scream very often. Keno was able to easily open the doors of her previous cage so every door was padlocked. She has taken toys apart and is able to open and remove quick links. She generally likes to do her own "thing". She is very observant of whatever is going on in her environment. She does not stay on stands and would prefer to explore and bug the other birds. Whenever I try to bring her downstairs and put her on a stand she will immediately jump off, hop up the stairs and go back into the bird room. If I put her on a stand in the bird room, she will also jump off of it. She needs to be supervised when she is out because she has hurt some of the other birds by biting them through the cage bars. She will also chew on and destroy things.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
If it's one thing I'm good at, it's research, trust me. I researched for around a year before I brought Tuki home and then a few more months before Diego. I'm always online and on here learning. AA is family to me and have helped me through so much, including the loss of my conure in December. Research is one thing I will always do! I feel like I do it in my sleep sometimes :laugh:

But it is with a rescue so their is a two month foster period to see if the bird is a good fit to begin with. So it's definitely not something I'm jumping into. They determine what is a good fit and we see how it goes
My first class was held by Ann, she is the head of the rescue and takes care of all the birds at the center in NC. She is fantastic , don't know how she does it all, she really lives for these birds. I am in VA and she came all the way , six hour drive, just to hold the class. I love that the regional person here is checking in with me and answers questions. I also got the medical records. I will start volunteering for Phoenix Landing. Hope I can get to NC to visit soon.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
My first class was held by Ann, she is the head of the rescue and takes care of all the birds at the center in NC. She is fantastic , don't know how she does it all, she really lives for these birds. I am in VA and she came all the way , six hour drive, just to hold the class. I love that the regional person here is checking in with me and answers questions. I also got the medical records. I will start volunteering for Phoenix Landing. Hope I can get to NC to visit soon.
Let me know if you come this way! It would be cool to meet a fellow AA member!