• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Gizmo "Fire Belly" Hahns

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
As many of you have seen already in the warning thread I posted, my Hahns left this world yesterday. At the time it was more important to me to get a warning out than it was to post a thread celebrating Gizmo.

It's hard for me to put into words how much this bird meant to me. Not that I loved Jingo and Koopa less, but before Gizmo came, I remained steadfast that above all else, I was a cat person. Gizmo shook my belief on that. There was something about her, a radiance and wisdom, that I simply can't describe. You had to meet her to really know how truly special she was. In hindsight, maybe the red feathers on her tummy were simply an outpouring of her personality that couldn't be contained within her. Those feathers were as unique as she was, as bright as her curious eyes shined, and as colorful on the outside as she was on the inside. The "fire belly" nickname that she acquired really embodies so much more than a coloration.

When I took her in, I expected a hands off bird that would stay at arms length for many years. Instead, within three days, she flew over to me and landed on my face. I initially was terrified that she would bite me with that "giant" beak, but instead she settled down onto my shoulder like she just knew that was where she belonged. From that day in November onward, she firmly believed that we should never be separated. She trusted me without having a reason to - she took a literal leap of faith that I have admired since. I used that trust to work with her and by the end she was able to use natural perches, play with toys, and even greet new people (including men!) without her normal panicking. She was a bird transformed. Reborn. Maybe the "fire belly" signified the phoenix she really was.

There really never be another bird in this world like Gizmo. I feel that she taught me more about trust and love, about living life and picking yourself back up regardless of what the world has thrown at you, than anyone, human or animal, has ever taught me before. In her I found strength when I thought I had none left. In her I found happiness when I thought I had run out. In her I found patience I didn't know I had. As much as I taught her, I think she was the real teacher in our relationship.

I don't know what happens when we die. My hope is that we are reincarnated. My hope is that Gizmo taught me what she was supposed to, and she will move on to another life, to select a new pupil.

Jingo screams like her. He mimics her "mwah" and her "woop". It's both haunting and comforting when he does it now.

We buried her next to a small oak tree chose to grow not out of the ground, but out of an old stump. It reminded me of Gizmo and how even though she'd been "cut down" so many times in her past, she grew again each time, strong and determined like this oak tree one day will be.

The "woop" on her rock was what she said when she needed to be reassured. I would "woop" back and she would trust that things were okay. I think this time, though, the woop is more for my benefit than for hers. I need her to know that someday, somehow, I will be okay.

We buried her with the last Fred's Forager toy we ever got from CBT, since it was her absolute favorite toy. She also has her IGAW perch with her name on it, and a bunch of millet and almonds.

I've made my Gizmo album on Facebook public so anyone, even without an account, can see them. I invite you to scroll through and remember her with me.

Gizmo "Fire Belly" | Facebook

Pincushion.jpg

selfiesaturday1.jpg

Stone1.jpg

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
What an incredibly touching tribute for such a special feathered friend. :sorrow: May the days ahead bring you peace and may Gizmo's next pupil be as open to her wisdom as you were. :sadhug2:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I am so so sorry for your loss. Fly high and free Gizmo :sorrow: :sadhug2:

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
:sadhug: I'm so sorry for your loss. Fly free Gizmo. :sadhug2:

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fly high you adorable fluffster :sad1:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Everything and then some Shawna. Thank you for loving her... :sadhug2:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She was one of my AA favorites. :heart: Ever since I lost my own little girly Hahn's Mattie to an accidental death, I've been crazy about seeing Gizmo and any others that people were willing to post pics about. It leaves a hole that's never filled. And, that unique coloring on yours. Just looking at her fascinated me, and I wondered (shame on me :o: ) what her babies would look like if she ever had any :shy: She was one in a million, Shawna, and that's the truth. :hug8:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gizmo was truly unique. Inside and out.:hug8:

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
Beautiful tribute!! RIP Gizmo

Todd's Mom

Moving in
Real Name
renee bickar
Thank-you for sharing such a wonderful tribute for your most amazing Gizmo.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Beautiful tribute and a very sad loss. :hug8:

Fly high and free little Gizmo.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Matt

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Shawna we loved her :heart: Her life was proof that the neglected ones could come back to trust again. She's grateful to have found you :sadhug:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Gizmo was a special bird. So sorry for your loss.

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Oh Mizzely. I am so sorry for your loss. Your tribute was beautiful. Gizmo was certainly loved. :sadhug:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss of your special friend, Gizmo.

Last edited:

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
She was such a special girl. Thanks for sharing your stories. :hug8:

SamatranTiger

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
:sorrow: I am so sorry for loss. Gizmo was without question loved more than one could possibly say and was lucky to have such a wonderful life with you. Fly free and high, Gizmo! :hug8: