• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting to know Cocoa

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Since Cocoa came from the Humane Society, I really don't know that much about her so I have been learning as we go along. She is definitely a people-bird and seems content to sit on or with me all day. She has napped on me but keeps one eye open a bit. She also seems fine with being in or on her cage. She is so mellow so far. She is very vocal but not loud, chirping and clucking away.

She steps up well (although sometimes with a grumble or two) and will step from me onto others if I tell her to but won't step up for others. She likes to beak wrestle with my finger. This ends with me giving her a beak rub. I don't know if I should encourage this mouthing but she is always gentle and has never bitten so far...you can tell it is very controlled.

Food is still a mystery. She likes to be hand fed and chirps when she wants another bite. She loves apple and has had a bit of banana but won't eat grapes or berries. She loves sunflower seeds and toast crust (only as treats) and does eat some pellets but pushes aside peppers. So far green peas and chick peas are acceptable to her. I hope this expands as she becomes comfortable.

She hasn't shown a lot of interest in toys but I know it is early days. We had a really nice rain today and I stood outside with her in it and she arched her wings.

I don't know if/what words she knows but we were watching a comedy on T.V tonight at my sister's house and at a particularly funny part we both laughed out loud and Cocoa clearly said "Ha ha ha." She did it three times during the show...of course, never when we tried to get her to do it. When we tried, she clammed up and gave us the stink-eye. When we ignored her, she laughed out loud and it was definitely a human sound and clearly "Ha ha ha." I wonder what else she has picked up in her 20 years? I guess I won't know until she decides to tell me.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So sweet!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
So good to hear how well she's settling in. :) About the beaking or mouthing, there's is the school of thought that you shouldn't allow them ever to let them touching with their beak. Personally I think it's unrealistic and not necessarily helpful. For me the more comfortable touching my birds' beaks the more comfortable I am with them overall. It's useful for when I need to give them meds too. Now I wouldn't do it with a highly aggressive bird but it has worked worked well with my two. :)

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
So good to hear how well she's settling in. :) About the beaking or mouthing, there's is the school of thought that you shouldn't allow them ever to let them touching with their beak. Personally I think it's unrealistic and not necessarily helpful. For me the more comfortable touching my birds' beaks the more comfortable I am with them overall. It's useful for when I need to give them meds too. Now I wouldn't do it with a highly aggressive bird but it has worked worked well with my two. :)
Thanks. She seems to like it and holds my finger very gently and wiggles her tongue. My sister, who has dogs and cats, says it will develop into biting but I don't think so. Especially since I can rub her beak and she seems to like it. Cricket likes beak rubs too. Watson may be little but he would eat me if I tried to rub his beak, LOL. He is definitely hands off!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I doubt it will lead to biting, she likes you and they taste and feel everything with their tongue. Nerd used to love to beak and nibble my fingers and he LOVED to have a finger wrestle, if I went OUCH! he'd look mortified and stop. Maxis aren't Amazons but some say they are related and similar in many ways. Teach her a too ruff word and she'll learn to be gentler when she hears it. For Dobby Momazon taught him buffer meant he was biting too hard and he backs off.
Lurch never learned to be gentle but as he grew to trust and love me he didn't bite as hard or fast and gave warnings first. For him it was who he was and a feature not a bug.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I am so happy that you have offered to share your home with Cocoa. She sounds like a sweetheaet, and it sounds like you are quickly forming a wonderful friendship. :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great update and beak wrestle is the best! Just ask my girls!
It's not trigger any aggressive behavior, it's just a game. To play is also a good way to be friends.

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Bo (male RLA) loves rough play, and we play all kind of games together. He's able to separate play from aggression (normally occurs out of jealousy). I wouldn't worry about beak-playing with Cocoa. She sounds like a sweet bird who is flourishing in her new surroundings.

She's beautiful, by the way.........................

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
She sounds super sweet! :xflove:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
She sounds precious.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that everything is working out with Cocoa. She is not only cute but also very sweet.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sounds like a very sweet bird and Im so glad you took the plunge and took her into your home ..I wouldnt worry about the beaking Tyrion and I break play all the time and he knows when he is getting to rough ...as for the food just add something new each week and see how she likes it ...maybe its the size or shape just mess around with it and youll have her eating all sorts of stuff in no time ;)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Glad to hear she is doing well and settling in! Look at that cute face, how could you not spoil her :).