• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting to know Cocoa

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
It seems like Cocoa has never read the books on Amazons. She sat on the front porch with me this morning cuddling into my chest and let me rub her head for 40 minutes. I got all the visible pinnies out. I have never seen such a hands on bird. If my hand even passes in front of her, she lifts a foot to step up. She prefers to be hand fed - something I know I have to wean her off. She "talks" all the time but so far has never been loud. She has absolutely no cage agression.

The vet from the shelter contacted me and next week, he is sending the lab results for all of the tests he did so I can pass them on to my vet.

So far I feel so incredibly lucky. I had expected her to take a long time to come round and maybe never be hands on. The shelter kept stressing that she bit and couldn't be handled. It is so odd. She has become a bit more assertive (she wants to sit on the back of my wingback chairs and I would prefer she stay on the arms so we have a little friendly battle of the wills going on) but I keep waiting for the shoe to drop. Maybe in the spring with hormones? Or could she really be this mellow?

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
She does seems too perfect to be true, I don't blame you for waiting for the other shoe to drop. You might be going through bit of a honeymoon phase but it seems unlikely to me that you'll have any real problems with her.

I wonder why she bit the child?? They must of really frightened her or waaay too in her face. Zane use to be little that, you'd really have push him for him to bite, which happened once with somebody... kind of long story. But in his early days I would never label him biter. Now he's little more grumpier and the nippier

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
They took her and returned her within four hours so I can't understand a parent even letting their two year old near a new bird in that short time. I also wonder how they defined "bite". She does use her beak alot and tests her "perch" before stepping up. She has put her beak on me to show me she doesn't like thinks but she does not apply pressure. I don't know if she drew blood or just gave a warning. Of course two year old children are not known for their fine motor skills or being gentle. The child might have given her a fright. Sad she got "labelled."

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
She found someone she clicks with, you are her chosen one. Things may change as she gets more into her own but she'll always give you a break. Lurch started out scared to death and mad but slowly decided I was worthy and would forgive things that used to warrant a bite and he was happy.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
What a wonderful video. I had not seen this. Thanks for bringing it up again.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
What a wonderful video. I had not seen this. Thanks for bringing it up again.
I opened it and closed it, couldn't watch. I have tears in my eyes now.

Doll was deeply attached to Mango. He was a typical Amazon though and was known to fly AT her if she was in her motorized chair - she said she just put a towel over her head and shoulders and it turned into a fly by and she was fine.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I miss Doll.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I got the vet report on Cocoa back. The tech attached the blood repot but it just noted results for standard diseases - all negative. It says sex is unknown but I guess that means they have nothing to confirm she is female. The tech reported the following:

She came in with very over grown nails that the Veterinarian trimmed and I believe she had the toe issue before she was surrendered. The Vet also clipped Cocoa's wings during that visit. The beak was in poor shape when she first got her it was almost rounded on the ends and didn’t really come to a point. I was surprised that she was even still able to use the beak to eat. Unfortunately since it was the death of her previous owner we could not get to much information.

Also, he noted that she is 400 grams and was on a diet of seeds and nuts. I still don't know if she was flighted. The report said that for at least the last four months she was kept caged. They don't know before that.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
What a fantastic video! They're so amazing together. :swoon:
And Mango was also cage free. At night he put himself to sleep in the bath room and was allowed to be wherever he wanted.
They had what I call a trusting bond. And now they are together again! ♥ That is the only comfort I feel about loosing them both. :(

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It seems like Cocoa has never read the books on Amazons. She sat on the front porch with me this morning cuddling into my chest and let me rub her head for 40 minutes. I got all the visible pinnies out. I have never seen such a hands on bird. If my hand even passes in front of her, she lifts a foot to step up. She prefers to be hand fed - something I know I have to wean her off. She "talks" all the time but so far has never been loud. She has absolutely no cage agression.
Someone did loved her before and was gentle to her, and now she loves you. Just be proud and happy. :)