• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Generic breeding question

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
In the future I'll thankfully be wiser when picking up new birds (if ever).

I will say, even though I said I was not interested in ever being a "breeder", it would be rather cool to raise finches and actually hand raise them to give away to people who want to start out, that way they have a tame and well cared for bird instead of a farm/factory petstore type which you're right, are probably inbred. It seems almost impossible to find people willing to hand raise finches for obvious reasons... Of course then we get back to the issue of lots of birds out there already in need of good homes. This was just a hypothetical.

On the genetics point, it would be really cool to simultaneously do a Mendel-esk finch study while breeding. Of course I have no doubt this has been done over and over already and at very advanced levels. Also, clearly I would not learn much of anything with only a single generation, but it would be fun to at least read up before hand and attempt to predict the possible outcomes from a pairing of Charlie and Emma. I wonder what traits are dominant and which are recessive in several categories such as coloration (obviously), crest, beak, etc. It might be difficult without knowing anything about their parents, but some predictions could be made before hand.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
So I am curious now what features lead you to believe they are possibly related? I should have a DNA test done.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes you should!

Look at the pattern of their colors. See how they follow similar lines? That’s what makes me think they’re related.
Pied is dominant. Chocolate is dominant over fawn.

Actually there are not that many SCIENTIFIC tests that have been done. I have toyed with the idea of trying to convince a scientist friend to study them. He studies fish....I used to have fish and we’d trade. Brilliant man, he could lead us far.

But if I suggest it I suspect he’d tell me to do it myself.