• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Garage ?! Advice asap

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I need some advice asap please. I've been planning on asking for help with my dove noise problem ( males during one sleeping hours mostly) , but hubby approached my with his solution this morning and it may be the right answer.

Problem:
The doves have been going crazy lately and he had the nerve to suggest I rehome/ sell them and move on from my dove love :jawdrop1: :rofl:
:mad: - NO. He was hoping I would go along with this because he is having a lot of trouble sleeping with Pan serenading Tink all the time. I admit he does get too carried away at times and I feel bad. It is affecting him. He needs his sleep, we are not young kids anymore and he works very hard everyday however I can sleep through all Pan's noise no problem :angelic:. He did give earplugs a chance and they cause him ear pain. I have tried different things to try to quiet Pan and now Snow also but they only work to an extent. If Pan is in high gear nothing will deter him.

Right now the bird room is right next to our room. Both rooms are in the basement. I moved them
Into this room about a year and a half ago I believe. It hasn't been completed as if yet but has worked nicely except for this issue.

Husbands Solution: to hire a contractor for a day to help put up some walls/ wall frames and maybe a false ceiling in half the garage and move my birds out there. I live in Michigan, our garage is heated with a ceiling/ roof gas heater. He said all gas fumes exit the room through the ceiling of the garage and it is just like the gas we heat the house with currently. He mentioned buying a device to turn the garage door in and off remotely so it would not be opened by accident, that we would use the second half for entering the garage, accessing the freezer, pool, pulling in the boat in the spring and summer. He could/ would move the majority of his junk and tools out. What do you think and do you have advice? I would need to be 100 comfortable with the situation and their safety. He is very gunho about doing this and wants to do it at the end of the month. It would become my animal area for my birds and rodents ( doubtful I would move
My lizards out there). I really need to know if this is nuts or not. He wants to talk to the contractors today. :nervous:

This is the garage. Or the half I'm not standing in- behind me is a door, and there is a door into the house and another door in the back to the back yard and obviously the rest of the garage but I think this gives the overall feeling of the space.

These pics show more than half of the garage, obviously. I'm not sure if half is big enough. I would gain several feet in length but loose width.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As long as it's heated (which it is) it would be fine with me. I've considered gutting the garage and doing the same thing except I can't afford to lose the space for my business.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know a few people on the forum have birds in the garage, including Mystics Mom who is also in Michigan. I don't see a problem with it, especially since it's heated and will be framed

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank you! any advice?

I was going to suggest just "caging" off a section with mesh panels or such but if the other half of the garage is still going to be full of stuff like chemicals, tools etc then I would build a wall to seal it from the other half. There's also the consideration that the garage heater needs to be inside the bird side.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The dove noise will cease when hormones are over. I'd be too scared to put my birds in the garage, but that's just me. I want them in the house where I could hear if anything happened

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Yes!! Haha I'll move him in the garage!
In order to agree I would require him to remove all the chemicals some where else. The boat would never run in the garage of course and I'd be willing to leave my car outside in the winter. He is thinking mesh panels and a false roof to protect them from the garage door opener etc. plus it would give hanging space from above as long as it is strong enough. I was thinking we could hook the framing directly to the garage walls with the windows so I have access to a solid wall, if that makes sense but maybe it would be more logical to make a solid enclosure and somehow ensure lots of hanging areas for ropes and toys. They would have the added benefit of air exposure when secure and the garage door was opened ( by me) and I could easily take them out for sun. I just need to be confident it would be done correctly and very securely and there are lots of safety measures in place so they cannot get loose. I'd be so devastated. I'd rather be able to take over the whole garage and control the space entirely.

I agree Birdbabe that the boys will calm down but he complains daily and is a very light sleeper. In the months I've been a dove mom they get noisy quite a bit. (Every time they decide it's time to mate again or Pan decides he needs to remind everyone he is in charge. )He also is trying to find a solution to make us both happy without asking me to make a scarifice again since that went over so well! I would worry about Poppy especially, since she has night frights but I would have a couch / furniture for myself to spend as much time with them as I want. I often fall asleep in the bird room as it is as go to bed in the early hours of the morning. The hardest part would not having them by me around the clock. I guess I would spend more time in the main living areas instead of down here in the dungeon. Haha

I do feel I need to be willing to compromise if it is safe for them. He caves whenever I ask for a new bird or rodent or lizard or dog etc . I have quite the little zoo. He doesn't care for my animals but goes along with them for my happiness. I should accommodate his sleeping habit, if possible I think.

Last edited:

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Why not hire someone to make the present room they are in sound proof instead?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

I think true soundproofing would be a lot more expensive!

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
We built a dividing wall in our garage to create my birdroom, which doubles as my own chill out space. Works well for
Us.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I have wanted to do this, but I think it would be quite costly. If it were affordable we could sound proof our area and solve lots of his problems. He really hates being in the basement however we moved down here to accommodate our chronically ill daughter and gave her our master bedroom. We don't have a lot of extra money to play with, especially the past year with all her medical bills, meds etc so the most affordable is the way to go.

Last edited:

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I have wanted to do this, but I think it would be quite costly. If it were affordable we could sound proof our area and solve lots of his problems. He really hates being in the basement however we moved down here to accommodate our chronically ill daughter and gave her our master bedroom. We don't have a lot of extra money to play with, especially the past year with all her medical bills, meds etc so the most affordable is the way to go.
Could you do it yourself then? That would cut the cost down and there are panels you could put up.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I can ask him, for sure. I'm not sure how much would be involved in a semi finished basement.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Get a good quality insulated door and wall off and insulate the part the birds are in and it should be fine. If you sheet rock and everything it would be like any other room in the house except for the floor and you can doo all kinds of things to deal with that too.
I just want a garage for my cars and parts but it never happened so I have a 12x16 mini barn with a loft in the backyard that most of our crap is in, works pretty well but not bird friendly.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Thanks, I think o have him rethinking this idea after I told him my requirements and that the birds couldn't have drafts during the winter from the side doors being opened and closed. He wanted to still use half the garage for coming and going etc. He is going to check into a cheap sound blocking alternative to see if that is affordable. Meanwhile he wears earplugs and tolerates them at night.

The boys are all geared up right now. Pan settles down some when Tink is nesting although as soon as he realizes they aren't hatching he starts in again. Snow has hit maturity and has joined in and my three juveniles think this is prime time to warm up their throats .

I really should move the doves to a loft I suppose but I really don't want to, besides that they are quite territorial and I don't see how they would do well
in an open loft situation. Anyway for now, they are good as is and I need to focus on rearranging my animal room for the new Degu cage coming in a couple days.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yep, I'd do it as long as no cars in or out and no chemicals. Clean and seal the floors.