• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

gang gang cockatoos?

ChirpyMacaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joel
has anybody here owned gang gang cockatoos/has experience with them? they're probably not very common outside of Australia, but they're beautiful relatively small cockatoos. even here in oz they're pretty expensive/rare in the pet-trade though. pretty interesting birds too.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Only the very elite would have them here in the US. We have a few breeders but they are hard to breed and have a very special diet...they actually need meat in their diet and if you don't give them stuff to shred always, they tend to pluck. I agree with you, they are amazing and I had initially wanted to add a male to my flock because he's about the same size as most of the other birds in my flock but decided a long time ago that I didn't have what it would take to keep one happy. I have my eyes set on a Red Tail Black once we get our bird room up and running...hopefully this Spring!:)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
red tailed blacks are beautiful, probably my favourite animal in general. would love to keep one but they're pretty large and well uhh... you know, usual large cockatoo stuff, loud, velcro-y, etc.
Never as bad as the white ones! We also have five Galahs...two of the males are hormonal balls of feathered mess right now!:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would love to have a pair of Gang Gangs. They fetch a high price in the USA. Around $30.000.00 they require
specialized diet .
Your Major Mitchell's are just too beautiful for words. And I like your signature pic. :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If we're talking about our cockatoo wish-list... I've always wanted a blue-eyed cockatoo. I don't know if anyone breeds them in the US or not...
Yes, the Blue Eyeds are bred in the US but mostly through a consortium that is looking to boost the numbers in the US. They are also a very stunning Cockatoo.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
If we're talking about our cockatoo wish-list... I've always wanted a blue-eyed cockatoo. I don't know if anyone breeds them in the US or not...
I don't know about the Blue eyed Toos' , do a search for them in the states.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I would love to have a pair of Gang Gangs. They fetch a high price in the USA. Around $30.000.00 they require
specialized diet .
I love the Gang Gangs too but have a hard enough time with the diet of my Ekkies! I would fail a Gang Gang for sure!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Your Major Mitchell's are just too beautiful for words. And I like your signature pic. :)
Thank you , I have to agree with you ,
they are beautiful , and pleasure to take care of ,were working on recall ,indoors . I couldn't ask for better adjusted, happy, sweet ,quiet birds. Who ever inherits them as a bonded pair, will have a beautiful human avian experience.
Thank you for the compliment on their Signature...I enjoy making them.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thank you , I have to agree with you ,
they are beautiful , and pleasure to take care of ,were working on recall ,indoors . I couldn't ask for better adjusted, happy, sweet ,quiet birds. Who ever inherits them as a bonded pair, will have a beautiful human avian experience.
Thank you for the compliment on their Signature...I enjoy making them.
I agree that your MM2 pair are gorgeous! You've done a great job with them!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I wonder how hard it is to join the consortium... I'm happy to hear that they're being raised here by people with a vision.
Trust me, you don't want to know! She has four breeding pairs available, one proven, and you have to purchase the birds and join the consortium which costs lots of money and you'd most likely have to be an experienced breeder.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I agree that your MM2 pair are gorgeous! You've done a great job with them!
Thank you , I'm a proud bird mom , I couldn't ask for better birds. I'm embarrassed to talk about it because I don't want to come across as bragging.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Trust me, you don't want to know! She has four breeding pairs available, one proven, and you have to purchase the birds and join the consortium which costs lots of money and you'd most likely have to be an experienced breeder.
Oh ! I need to check this out :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you , I'm a proud bird mom , I couldn't ask for better birds. I'm embarrassed to talk about it because I don't want to come across as bragging.
No, you should brag! Happy, well-adjusted, stunningly beautiful cockatoos? That's something to brag about.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
red tailed blacks are beautiful, probably my favourite animal in general. would love to keep one but they're pretty large and well uhh... you know, usual large cockatoo stuff, loud, velcro-y, etc.
Stunningly beautiful , I covet them also . All I need is more...
:merlieshops: