• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

gang gang cockatoos?

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Ok here's a picture of my sweet "Izzy-b"
( Isabelle). Getting ready to take off around her flight course. Our staircase is designed in the center of the house. I open all the downstairs doors, which makes a circular space for them . It's their flight track. I stand at the door ways and hold up my arm and call "let's go ! " Isabelle is the first to flyover, Bentley takes her que and follows her. Once they are stationed on me I praise them and make a big deal about how fun this is. We count to 3 for takeoff, by saying Let's go, the shear joy of their squawk, and watching them doing this, is very rewarding for us and a positive bonding activity. It's a gift only the birds possess and I say to them only you can do this ...enjoy ! 20180710_185724.jpg

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
( Isabelle). Getting ready to take off around her flight course. Our staircase is designed in the center of the house. I open all the downstairs doors, which makes a circular space for them . It's their flight track. I stand at the door ways and hold up my arm and call "let's go ! " Isabelle is the first to flyover, Bentley takes her que and follows her. Once they are stationed on me I praise them and make a big deal about how fin this is. We count to 3 for takeoff, by saying Let's go, shear joy of their scawk watching them doing this is very rewarding for us and a positive bonding activity. It's a gift only the birds possess and I say to them only you can do this ...enjoy ! View attachment 290163
That is so awesome! And Isabelle is just too gorgeous for words!:)

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
That is so awesome! And Isabelle is just too gorgeous for words!
Shes' a real sweet heart . But I have to give credit to much of the knowledge, and enrichment that I put into practice with my birds , to the many Dedicated Members of Avian Avenue. Aviculture has come a long way from the dark ages. I'm proud to be a -part of this journey to do what's right for our companion birds.

ChirpyMacaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joel
oh wow, they really are expensive over there in america lol. they're usually around 1,500-2,000AUD here.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I met some gang gangs once and never knew they needed meat in their diet. I doubt they require it because the ones I met did not eat it. But I remember that they were very much like galahs and goffins. Inquisitive and hyper like a goffin and can be shy like a galah. It's been about 10 years since I have seen them though. Not sure if they're finally breeding or not. They were 2 females and a male. The male still had female feathers and was just getting reds.

You may want to join some Australian FB bird and parrot pages. I have only seen a handful of gang gang owners and they're usually always owners of male gang gangs. Not sure if there are usually more males in a clutch than females like it seems to be for most cockatoos or people prefer the males more.

Good luck!

ChirpyMacaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joel
I met some gang gangs once and never knew they needed meat in their diet. I doubt they require it because the ones I met did not eat it. But I remember that they were very much like galahs and goffins. Inquisitive and hyper like a goffin and can be shy like a galah. It's been about 10 years since I have seen them though. Not sure if they're finally breeding or not. They were 2 females and a male. The male still had female feathers and was just getting reds.

You may want to join some Australian FB bird and parrot pages. I have only seen a handful of gang gang owners and they're usually always owners of male gang gangs. Not sure if there are usually more males in a clutch than females like it seems to be for most cockatoos or people prefer the males more.

Good luck!
I actually kinda prefer the females. they have beautiful under-belly feathers, even if they are completely grey otherwise. You can sometimes see wild gang gangs here, along with galahs, sulphur cresteds and a bit north black cockatoos too. Female gang gangs.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The gang gangs are so pretty, I really love them.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I actually kinda prefer the females. they have beautiful under-belly feathers, even if they are completely grey otherwise. You can sometimes see wild gang gangs here, along with galahs, sulphur cresteds and a bit north black cockatoos too. View attachment 290208
Their both equally adorable, the males have their unique qualities, and as you mention the females have a subtle uniqueness.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
The gang gangs are so pretty, I really love them.
You folks living in Oz " Down Under " have so many diverse and unique Flora and Fauna. If I ever were to travel abroad, I want to visit Australia and New Zealand, Figi.
:rolleyes:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Not sure if there are usually more males in a clutch than females like it seems to be for most cockatoos or people prefer the males more.
Females in most species usually cost more. Possibly that could be a contributing factor. I know this ,with my Major's, my female was $800.00 more than my Male Major Mitchell Cockatoo.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You folks living in Oz " Down Under " have so many diverse and unique Flora and Fauna. If I ever were to travel abroad, I want to visit Australia and New Zealand, Figi.
:rolleyes:
If you ever do make it over this way you know you can come give Burt some scritches and loving so you do not miss your two too much while away :)

EDIT: Oops I now see you have four birds so that will be lots of scritches and loving for Burt so you do not miss your four too much :hehe:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
If you ever do make it over this way you know you can come give Burt some scritches and loving so you do not miss your two too much while away :)
Thanks for the invitation. Ha Haha! Who knows I may take you up on your offer. ;)

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
( Isabelle). Getting ready to take off around her flight course. Our staircase is designed in the center of the house. I open all the downstairs doors, which makes a circular space for them . It's their flight track. I stand at the door ways and hold up my arm and call "let's go ! " Isabelle is the first to flyover, Bentley takes her que and follows her. Once they are stationed on me I praise them and make a big deal about how fun this is. We count to 3 for takeoff, by saying Let's go, the shear joy of their squawk, and watching them doing this, is very rewarding for us and a positive bonding activity. It's a gift only the birds possess and I say to them only you can do this ...enjoy ! View attachment 290163
Wow that's so cool! Would love to see a video of that! They are pretty pretty birds!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Wow that's so cool! Would love to see a video of that! They are pretty pretty birds!
I have to get someone to video it. So much movement and flying around. I cant do it alone. Only can do selfies. One of these days I'll make a special effort to get something together in a video.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
@Just-passn-thru - You have me more curious about the major mitchels now... I've read things that say they're nervous, high-strung and phobic, but you don't sound like yours are like that at all. Much of that may be coming from Sally Blanchard and those who subsequently quote her though... (I'm not a fan of hers at any rate.) But I'm interested in how yours were raised and how you keep them, and how they compare to other more common cockatoos.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@Just-passn-thru - You have me more curious about the major mitchels now... I've read things that say they're nervous, high-strung and phobic, but you don't sound like yours are like that at all. Much of that may be coming from Sally Blanchard and those who subsequently quote her though... (I'm not a fan of hers at any rate.) But I'm interested in how yours were raised and how you keep them, and how they compare to other more common cockatoos.
I have read so many negative things about cockatoos in general. I don't experience any of that. My Galah (in the avatar) doesn’t always have to be sitting on us, but if we're home,he has to be with us. He loves being with his flock members and loves when the whole family is home. I would imagine he would be depressed otherwise. I always thought if any animal is given what it needs, and is well socialized and happy there shouldn't be too many issues? Just a thought....

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Just now reading your quote...my apologies for not going into detail at the moment. I just sat down, so busy today... and thought I would browse AA. I would love to go into detail about my experience with the " Leadbeater Cockatoo " AKA Major Mitchell Cockatoo. Let me gather my thoughts and share my personal experience about them and get back to you most definitely tomorrow, just to tired right now to think and give a quality opinion...I hope that makes sense :joyful:.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@Fia Baby ...I do have this :xflove:
E=MC SQUARED. according to Isabelles' theory of relativity , unraveling the Atom !
As you can see it's all relative to their environment. She looks quite content and confident in her mission. :joyful: please excuse my amateur attempts. I took this today !

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
But I'm interested in how yours were raised and how you keep them, and how they compare to other more common cockatoos.
I'll start a thread about my Major's and try to answer your questions as best I can . I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I have. :(