• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent French Moult- Sad Update Post #8

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
Oh no. I'm sorry for your loss. :sorrow:

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Isn't French molt an older name for Polyoma virus? Budgies are frequently carriers, usually asymptomatic though.
The baby you have is sure to be infected as well, but probably just a carrier. For birds other than budgies, it's very dangerous to babies, but usually harmless to adults. It's just something to be aware of. If you ever get another bird in the future, especially if it's a baby, you should get it vaccinated for polyoma first.

Gussy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alexis
I'm sorry, I should have elaborated. He did offer to replace the baby, but I didn't want to raise it all alone so I took two. I know how much they like to snuggle when they're in a nest together. Though, as someone mentioned on here, it felt a little weird getting more from him.

Before bringing them home I deep cleaned the entire house. Sanitized all bird related instruments and cages. Birds are being house in separate rooms and I'm taking a ton of care to keep everything separate.

The cage I used was older, but had been empty a long time and bleached before it was put back into storage, plus I've never had a bird with an issue like this before.

Thank you for mentioning that there is a vaccine. That's great to know.