• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent French Moult- Sad Update Post #8

Gussy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alexis
I'm hand raising two Budgies and I'm fairly positive one has French Moult. They're about 5 weeks old now. From what I understand, it is caused by a virus. So far I've just been trying to keep my baby warm and well hydrated. I've also alerted the breeder so he can take precautions needed on his end. Anyway, is there anything else I should be giving the little guy? Since it's a virus, I assume it just needs to run its course. Anything else? I can't find much info on treatments.

The other budgie is his sibling. She seems perfectly healthy. I'm keeping an eye on her, but so far so good.

Thank you!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I hope he will be okay! I don't know anything about this, but hopefully someone comes along who does.

Gussy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alexis
IMG_3036.JPG IMG_2990.JPG IMG_2991.JPG I just figured out how to get some images on here. He seems more lethargic tonight and is a bit puffed up. I've separated him and moved him into a box to reduce any drafts and have a heating pad on low he can choose to snuggle against, which he seems to be taking advantage of. He had a poop earlier that looked a little dry so I mixed the last feeding a little more watery. His poops look better now.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
You need to take him to a vet, he may need some supportive care or even antibiotics. Molting is very stressful on the body and if his immune system has been compromised he probably needs some extra attention. This virus is not something that can be cured or simply run its course, this is something that will have an effect on him for his entire life.

Gussy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alexis
So I called to make an appointment, but the baby died shortly after. :(

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I'm so very sorry.
:sadhug2:

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I'm so sorry :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss. You should consider taking the other budgie to the vet.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sorrow:

I hope the other one is OK. I would still remove him & clean everything with F10 in the hope it was not passed on to the other.

Says most are carriers & not affected...Sort of a odd disease & is more prevalent when a new bird with a different strain is introduced. I think they can test for it..so you may want to call a vet & ask or seems you will know in a few weeks if this one is OK. Doesn;t seem that it responds to treatment.

Another virus affects the feathers. PBFD...BAD but they are not the same & seems it can be slowed if we believe the article ot again the birds that survive it are carriers...
??????

http://www.meadowsah.com/home/assets/docs/f10-articles/The Facts-Issue 2.pdf

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I am so sorry for your loss

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Gussy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alexis
Aw, thank you everybody. You're all so kind. I'm home all day with the other baby and she is doing just fine. Starting to eat on her own a bit, curious, fast, and her feathers look good. I talked to the man I got the chicks from and he says this has never happened before. He has a few more babies at home that he says are just fine. I understand he could be lying, but I tend to try to trust people. If I notice even one feather on the floor of the female's cage, I'll take her straight to the vet, but with her doing so well at the moment, I'm just going to let her be and keep a close eye. She's quite the character. Always did have a more rambunctious personality though. Thank you all for your help.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Its seriou so you think he would be more concerned. You think he would replace the bird? Not sure I would want another from him tho it would be a nice gesture.

Was the cage you used new or old?

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
I'm so sorry this has happened.