• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"foot" with Jade

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Well it seems that the week of bonding time with my boyfriend has helped Jade become more comfortable. While on her door perch, she decided to glide to the floor, and when my boyfriend saw this he went to our little side room to shut the door and she followed him! He reached down and she stepped right up and walked up to his shoulder! He immediately facetimed me all proud!

She was chirp chirp chirp all in his ear...he had to put in earplugs :roflmao: Her little wings were quivering, don't know from over excitement or frightened - but a great sign of bravery from Ms. Jade! I can't wait to scratch her little head in 2 days. Thank goodness for Facetime I got to witness this!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Loved the latest post!!!! :D

-goes in search of more Jade updates!- ;)

Jessie1285

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessie
What a good story. Yay :hug8:

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Thanks all! Jade is a little hormonal right now so the bulk of our training has taken a halt, but she still touches her foot to everything (I've created a monster!) Right now I'm working on her understanding "step up" - so for a treat she steps up on her Super Bird Creations Rainbow Bridge. I'm hoping to get the motion of stepping up onto something IN her cage engraved in her mind like "touch" is. :) She will step up when she's OUT of the cage (ie: when she's accidentally lost her footing while she's on her outside perch and glides to the floor) but there's something about her cage...she doesn't want to step up). She is really a lot more comfortable with me touching her, though.

But for someone who didn't like hands in her cage to now this at 2 months:
Instagram

And here she is on her outside perch while I'm cleaning interacting with my shoulder:
Instagram

She's come a long way! :dance4::birdance:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She seems very relaxed. What a cutie! Good job!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Since she's gotten so comfortable with you, can you try making your hand an extension of her perch (i.e. put your hand on or against the perch) and teach her to walk over to your hand for a reward?

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Since she's gotten so comfortable with you, can you try making your hand an extension of her perch (i.e. put your hand on or against the perch) and teach her to walk over to your hand for a reward?
I'm definitely working on that. She's weary but I've gotten one or 2 times where she's put some pressure on my hand. But now I'm only giving her a treat if she comes to the END of her perch. Sometimes she gets mad that she hasn't gotten the treat yet and nips at my hand in which I stop and tell her "no bite".

I love seeing your updates. Gives me some hope for Puffy lol. Keep up the great work :)
Hehe thanks! It's a lot of work for sure! She has 14 years of neglect and loneliness in her system that I'm trying to reverse. Best of luck with your Puffy! Such a cute name :heart:

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Update on this thread: Jade has officially stepped up! It was a huge huge surprise and I am over the moon. At this time she will ONLY step up for me 1. if she wants to, obviously, and 2. from her outside perch. She is showing so much progress, and even 'touch foot' when she's ON my shoulder, for a treat. She's really obsessed with eating the oven fresh baked caitec treats OUT of the bag (she's gonna fall in the bag one day, I swear), and I'm using those as "shoulder treats" so she has an incentive for wanting to step up and get on my shoulder. It has worked wonders.

Instagram

Jade is going to the vet for a nail trim and a check-up so her step up timing is pretty golden. I only hope she doesn't stay mad at me for TOO long! :smuggrin:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:congrats5: You're doing great. 14 years of neglect takes a long time to overcome. Great progress!

PS that's a small door on her cage. With her tail she just fits through the door. That might be why she is reluctant to step up from inside the cage.