• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"foot" with Jade

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
I've had Jade now for 3 weeks - she's always been forced to come out of the cage, so when I brought her home from the rescue I decided that that was no more (and that was the reason she was lunging at my hand) so I decided to build our trust. My boyfriend was working in Europe 2 out of the 3 weeks thus far that we've had her so I was going over what I did to build trust, and I thought I'd share my progress with you guys. Through video! My boyfriend was very "let's just take her out" and I'm glad that he was out of town for this period of time so I could show him the progress she has made just through positive reinforcement (and a big bag of pine nuts). :hehe:

I started by giving her pine nuts, her favorite treat, just whenever I thought she was being good, so she would know that my hand does not equal bad things. This was usually through the cage bars. I had her following me around the cage because she knew I had pine nuts. I picked up on her putting her foot to the cage when she was begging for a treat, so when she did that I would say "foot" and give her a treat, and praise her like nobody's business. I did this SO many times so it would be engraved in her mind. Foot action = treat.
Instagram

When I felt she was comfortable with my hand, I would place my finger through the bars ever so slightly (because she still tried to bite, in which I would take the treats away and try again in a few minutes), so when she would do "foot", if she touched my hand while doing it she would get a treat. If she touched me I would say "touch" or "touch foot".
Instagram

She's still getting comfortable with coming in and out of her cage, but when she does, we spend a lot of time training. We've gotten to this point right now, and I have her traveling to touch my hand also. She's doing great and I hope one day she takes the plunge to step up!
Instagram
Instagram

And just for fun, she really likes to whisper when she gets head scratches.
Instagram

CallmeSweetie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Andrea
I've really enjoyed your updates, you did your homework, took your time, really well done to you.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Very well done to both of you! You for having the patience and understanding and Jade for beginning to understand that you're not about to grab her and force her to come out of her cage.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She's so cute! Good job to both of you!!:laughing12:

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Thanks all! She's been a bit nippy and anxious now that my boyfriend is back in the apartment, but I'm happy to say that she has officially touched him with her foot through the bars. He'll be watching her for a week so they will have lots of time to bond. :) She only wants to come out of the cage when it's just me but hopefully she gets more comfy with him around as well. :)

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Jade is gorgeous and you are doing such a good job with her.

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
My boyfriend just texted me a photo of her on her perch outside the cage - so it didn't take her long at all to get brave. It's funny - she's so quiet when it's just him but I get home and it is ALL of the noises until bedtime at 9. Oooo she tests my patience (and ears). But tonight, we got somewhere:

Instagram

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
i agree a fabulous job.
i'm half deaf in one ear already :) sweetie likes to put her beak into my ear then scream as loud as she can :D
Hhaha the best part is she came out of her cage briefly for my boyfriend (bearing nutriberries of course) and he said "I sat down for 45 minutes to watch tv and she was so quiet and relaxed." And I thought wow that is so great! I came home and it was just noise noise noise. :p same with Jade, I'll have my face close up to her and I'm thinking she's about to make a cute kissy noise and it's MrrwwwaaAAAKKK! Right in the ear.:faint:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great update! Good job momma :laughing12:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You are such a horrible parront for not just getting her out of the cage and interacting with you!!! Shame on you!!!! ;)

But... oh wait? Look at how *calm* she is! Look at how eager she is to "touch"! Heck, she even looks like she's getting excited about training!!! I don't see any lunging behavior at all! Well, you must be doing something right! :D

:dancing: Love the updates! :yahoo:

:birdance:

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
@Monica , she's TOTALLY excited about training. I'll be scratching her head and she'll touch my hand with her foot. I'm like "that's great but I don't have any treats! I'm not prepared!" She's started running down her rope perch in the morning to sit in front of her food bowl (and loudly chirping) while I'm preparing breakfast, and she "touch foot"s for her food bowl. :heart: She's much more comfortable with my hand in the cage - she stood right by me last night and watched me wipe down what we call her "poop perch" with vinegar. There's a dumb song to go along with cleaning the poop perch, and she was bobbing up and down to it. No bites at all, except she wanted to eat the paper towel. :hehe:

I have a pet sitter coming in Thursday through Sunday morning to feed her while my boyfriend and I are both home for the holidays and I am so so heartbroken to leave her alone for so long. Hopefully she won't be too upset come Monday afternoon when my boyfriend comes back. He told me he's prepared to shower her with nutriberries when he comes home because she's gonna be so ready for a familiar face. :hug8:Not to mention coming out of her cage.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I think Jade will be a fabulous companion! :) She sounds adorable!

I hope you teach the pet sitter how to "handle" her, so hopefully Jade doesn't regress. Is the pet sitter coming by at all before hand to get a crash course in Jade mannerisms?

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
He did stop by and saw her little quirks. He's just feeding her in the mornings. Super quick in and out. I told him that's all she can handle, really. I'll definitely be talking to her through the camera so she can hear my voice. I got up early for my flight this morning (before Jade woke up! A first time for everything) and I'm tiptoeing around the room getting my things together and I hear a kiss noise from under the cover. Melted my heart!

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Happy to announce that Jade is doing very well with the pet sitter who describes her as "sweet and vocal" :blahblah:

I've been peeking at her through the Jade cam these last 2 days and she's been playing and having a general good time by herself. She's been such a good girl while her parronts are gone! :loveshower:

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Great news! :D So glad it's working out with the pet sitter and she's remaining relaxed and calm!

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
My boyfriend got home from visiting his family and he said he opened the cage door and Jade came out like "FREEEDOM!!!" :p he facetimed me and turned the screen so Jade could see me and he said "remember momma?" And Jade started bobbing like crazy. :heart::heart::heart: It will be very interesting to see how she reacts to me once I come home Monday night. As for my boyfriend, he can stick his finger through the cage bars and she will "touch foot" for him so progress is definitely being made there. He's still super jealous I get all the head scratches :hehe:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Wonderful job, love the touch foot and how she scoots to you to get her treat. :cloud9: