• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Floating Mystery fish...???

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
Fair enough. Nevertheless, I do not have the money for a liquid test in my budget until I get paid next week. I will invest in one then. If the strips work, but just aren't accurate, then I at least know that the levels aren't severely out of balance, and the other fish in the tank are acting normal and looking healthy.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep. Though Canada's online shopping options have improved, there is not yet the same selection, nor is it near as convenient as it is in the States.
Thank you for taking the time to help me out here! :) I really appreciate it. Especially because I am relatively new to keeping aquariums (It has only been a couple months since my SO's little sister's 10g tank was surrendered to us due to lack of care) and it can be a little confusing trying to figure out everything.
Happy to help! :) how's this price? API Freshwater Master Test Kit

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Fair enough. Nevertheless, I do not have the money for a liquid test in my budget until I get paid next week. I will invest in one then. If the strips work, but just aren't accurate, then I at least know that the levels aren't severely out of balance, and the other fish in the tank are acting normal and looking healthy.
Oh yeah, you can definitely wait on it for a bit!! :)

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
So I just got home.... He's not dead?! I was positive he was already dead or at least very near. Now his door is pretty much closed. His foot and tentacles aren't hanging out anymore. And he doesn't smell. His is still floating in the same spot though.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
So I just got home.... He's not dead?! I was positive he was already dead or at least very near. Now his door is pretty much closed. His foot and tentacles aren't hanging out anymore. And he doesn't smell. His is still floating in the same spot though.
How old is he? Any shell deformities? Do you supplement calcium?

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
No idea how old he is. I assume not too old. We got him about 5 months ago and he has grown a lot since then. I don't know how to tell. No shell deformities that I can see. I did not suppliment calcium up until yesterday. I didn't know I had to, though now when I think about it it does seem pretty obvious.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Is your water up to the tippy top of the tank? What fish do you have?
Sorry about the questions. :hehe:

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
No worries about the questions! I love to learn as much as I can!
At any given time there is usually about 2-3 inches above water, but I cleaned the tank yesterday and filled it up pretty good, to aboutand inch or inch and a half below the top.
Aside from the snails, I have a platy and a molly. Both females.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
So the stocking is good.
At this point, he's not very old, and the tank isn't overstocked. How often do you change the water? Do you take him out for that?
I'd also take a look in his shell to see if there's a foreign body there.

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
I change 10-25% of the water once a week. The odd time I will wait two weeks before changing water. He remains in the tank during this.
How would I go about looking in his shell? I just don't want to hurt him.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I change 10-25% of the water once a week. The odd time I will wait two weeks before changing water. He remains in the tank during this.
How would I go about looking in his shell? I just don't want to hurt him.
If he isn't curled, it's much easier!! You can gently fish him out, and just turn him this way and that. If you gently place a finger on his foot (that's their body) and he will likely conform. That gives you an opportunity to peak in. :)

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
So Snaily appears to have made a full recovery, at least from what I can see. He shut his door and hung out at the bottom of the tank for a couple days, and now he is cruising around and climbing on the glass once again! Yesterday was the first time that I have seem him stuck to the glass, or anything, in over two weeks! And his tentacle seems back to normal, so I am not really sure what happened with that. I am just happy he is starting to get back to his old Snaily self. And his buddy (haven't named the other snail yet....would like it to be a bit more creative though :p) seems to be doing well too. Already growing so quickly. Right now the two of them are hanging out near the filter together....or at least in close proximity to each other.
Never thought I would like snails this much!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is great news. Snails are sweet.
I keep nerites. No worries of having an overpopulation as they do not breed in fw. ;)