• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Floating Mystery fish...???

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
Does anyone have Mystery or Apple snails?
Our gold Mystery snail has been acting weird lately. He has been less active and floats around at the top every now and then. What is this about? he never used to do this. Is there any way to help him out?
Thanks! :)

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
They float when they get air trapped in their shells. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about it or not.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
He will work it out. If you try rolling him it may come out. If he is alive{as I do suspect he is} and you take him out, his foot will feel firm. If dead he will smell terribly.

Last edited:

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
I cleaned the tank yesterday and he livened up a bit (clung to the glass and felt around a bit) so I was hopeful. I put some cucumber and a chunk of calcium enriched beta food in the tank in hopes that it would perk him up. But after I finished cleaning the tank he went back to floating around. He wasn't looking very good last night. he was alive still but one of his tentacles looked a little necrotic. I am pretty sure he passed away overnight. I didn't smell him yet, but his door wasn't shut and his foot looked a little fuzzy. :( Poor little guy. He was my favourite in the tank; so fascinating. He looked so healthy and active prior to the floating. I just got him a buddy too (a little black mystery snail), to help clean his shell. Poor Snaily. :(

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry to hear :( When did you add the new snail and when did this start?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Run some tests with titration test kits{liquid} API is an all round good brand. Test for PH, Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite. A master fw kit is only $20.

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
I added the second snail yesterday, before Snaily started to look like he was on his way out. At this time he was only floating around, which had started a few days ago, and I was under the impression that it was relatively normal for him to do that. Things went downhill fast.
I had the water tested yesterday. The water quality was good, and all the levels were safe.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I added the second snail yesterday, before Snaily started to look like he was on his way out. At this time he was only floating around, which had started a few days ago, and I was under the impression that it was relatively normal for him to do that. Things went downhill fast.
I had the water tested yesterday. The water quality was good, and all the levels were safe.
Did you have it tested at the pet store using strips? Those aren't accurate.

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
Wouldn't testing yourself using strips be the same though....?

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
There are a lot of water testing kits and it can be a little overwhelming. I don't want to pay money for a cheap one only to have it not work, but I also don't have a ton of money to spend on a more expensive testing kit, when a less expensive one could work equally well.

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
oh. Thanks for clarifying. Why do they have the strips if they don't work then? That seems sill to me.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
There are a lot of water testing kits and it can be a little overwhelming. I don't want to pay money for a cheap one only to have it not work, but I also don't have a ton of money to spend on a more expensive testing kit, when a less expensive one could work equally well.
The strips don't work equally well though.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
oh. Thanks for clarifying. Why do they have the strips if they don't work then? That seems sill to me.
They're cheaper (half the price) and quicker. Pet stores don't make sense. :rolleyes: :hehe:

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
That's true...
Oh brutal, it seems the only master test kits they have are $30- $40. :( I can't afford that right now.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
That's true...
Oh brutal, it seems the only master test kits they have are $30- $40. :( I can't afford that right now.
:hug8: Sorry if I came across harsh.
You can buy one on Amazon for $20. :) Dies that work?

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
Oh, you didn't come across as harsh.
I would have to order from Amazon.ca though and it seems that they also only have them for $30 and up.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Ohhhh you're in Canada!
Let me do some looking and see what I can find at a reasonable price. :)

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
Yep. Though Canada's online shopping options have improved, there is not yet the same selection, nor is it near as convenient as it is in the States.
Thank you for taking the time to help me out here! :) I really appreciate it. Especially because I am relatively new to keeping aquariums (It has only been a couple months since my SO's little sister's 10g tank was surrendered to us due to lack of care) and it can be a little confusing trying to figure out everything.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
The strips work they are just often not accurate. I have both in my house and I test with the liquid kit once a week or every other week for a good accurate test but then every so often I like to check it as I go by and I'll use the strips just because they're quick and easy. It does not give me a real accurate number reading but then I can at least know if something goes off a little and then I can really test it.

The strips are still sold due to many people just wanting the convenience of them. Most people think the liquid kits are too complicated or too much work. They're really easy to use but it does take some time to use them. We live in a very convenience driven world. The convenient thing is not always the best thing. Something else to consider, the strips you get FAR LESS tests than you would out of the liquid kit. In the end if I recall correctly they're pretty similar in price. The liquid just comes with more tests.