• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent fiona isn’t moving

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
my hands are shaking, I’m sorry if my grammar is not good at all. I can’t think straight.

So i was about to clean the cages when i saw fiona, one of my budgies laying face down at the bottom of her cage, i tapped her slightly hoping she would react and fly away but she didn’t. I have her in a box now. The picture is attached, she doesn’t look injured in any way so i think it must have been an invisible disease/condition. I think she is dead because I can’t see her breathing or anything. I saw her today when i came home from school and she seemed fine. I am at a loss of words. Her feathers look really rough now even though she took a bath today.

I tagged this as urgent because i want to know what it could have been.

The other attached picturs are the last pictures i have of Fiona and me a couple of days ago, being active and curious as always.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am very sorry. It looks like she is gone. If she doesn't move at all and you don't think she is breathing and if she is stiff to the touch then she has passed. If she has passed there is no way of knowing what might have happened. You could bring to vet for a necropsy but sometimes that is inconclusive. However since you have other birds that might be advisable. Did your birds share a cage with Fiona? Monitor your other birds and you may want to consider bringing them to the vet for a check up. If they shared a cage be sure to clean and disinfect everything thoroughly.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm sorry for the sudden loss of your dear Fiona. :( I'ts not any easier when you know a pet is ill, but at least you have a chance to goodbye. My heart goes out to you! :sadhug:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry. How old was she? When my tiel passed it was also very sudden. I believe he had a stroke.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
I am very sorry. It looks like she is gone. If she doesn't move at all and you don't think she is breathing and if she is stiff to the touch then she has passed. If she has passed there is no way of knowing what might have happened. You could bring to vet for a necropsy but sometimes that is inconclusive. However since you have other birds that might be advisable. Did your birds share a cage with Fiona? Monitor your other birds and you may want to consider bringing them to the vet for a check up. If they shared a cage be sure to clean and disinfect everything thoroughly.
Thank you, i really want to get the others checked out just in case. And yes, they did share a cage. Angel and Rio were in the same cage as Fiona.
I'm so sorry. How old was she? When my tiel passed it was also very sudden. I believe he had a stroke.
She was around 1 year old, very sudden.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you, i really want to get the others checked out just in case. And yes, they did share a cage. Angel and Rio were in the same cage as Fiona.

She was around 1 year old, very sudden.
She was quite young. A necropsy is the safest course to take. If you got her from a pet store, often those birds don't have long lives due to not the best breeding, etc. Or sometimes birds just have hidden issues. I hope your other birds are okay.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
She was quite young. A necropsy is the safest course to take. If you got her from a pet store, often those birds don't have long lives due to not the best breeding, etc. Or sometimes birds just have hidden issues. I hope your other birds are okay.
Yeah she was bought from a pet store. I hope the others are alright, and even if they have the same problem i hope the vet can help.

alexmait

Meeting neighbors
I am so sorry for your loss. It can be traumatic when it suddenly happens.
It may be too late, but I would check for any faint heartbeat, look inside the mouth for anything unusual, reddening or blockage, and scan the body for any lumps. When any of my pets pass away, I will hold them close to me for the rest of the day because they have not quite left yet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yeah she was bought from a pet store. I hope the others are alright, and even if they have the same problem i hope the vet can help.
yes, my friend had this recently and had a necropsy. The birds had pneumonia so they were able to save the last one. Please do call the vet and set up for a necropsy, they can tell you next steps.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am so sorry:(My thoughts are with you and the remaining flock members. I hope you get answers and the rest Will be okay:sadhug2:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh how heartbreaking! I’m so sorry for your loss of little Fiona, and I hope your other birds stay healthy.:sorrow:

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
So sorry to hear about the loss of Fiona, I hope everyone else stays safe :sorrow:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
:sadhug2: Big hugs! It's never easy, but it's harder when it's so sudden.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm so sorry for your loss. :sorrow:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with others if you can get a necropsy done I would. I hope your other birds will be ok and that it's nothing contagious. Such a tough situation. I'm so sorry. This is heartbreaking