• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finally happened - Bitten bad

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I knew it would happen someday and today was it. I had Blu on my hand and somehow he jumped up and came back down with some of his tail feathers between his feet. He must have thought I did it and to quote my grandmother "Bit the living snot out of me". 0617191904.jpg

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
The things we put up with when living with such special birds lol.

Bowser once flew to me but I didn’t notice (I was putting laundry away) and I turned at the exact wrong moment so he landed on my back, not quite high enough to reach my shoulder. His upper beak went down my whole back like a cheese slicer until I bent and he could crawl up to my shoulder where I could get him moved to a perch. He had no idea he did anything but try to catch himself lol.

I hope your wound heals quickly. :bluhug:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks VERY painful. OUCH! Sorry you got bit.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Ewwww :wideyed: ouch!

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Oh wow! Do you know what caused the bite?
I think he thought I had hold of his tail feathers when he had them bent under himself. It was just pure instinct on his part. He let go and hit the floor. I calmly put my hand down and he stepped up like nothing had happened. We made up and all is well except for the half pint of blood I lost!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep, that’s a bite and one nasty bruise too. That’s going to scar.

I’ve had two similar experiences. Takes a little while to trust again. Hang in there

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh gosh... that's a nasty bite Mike. I do hope you will go get some stitches in it and I trust you cleaned it out well. Yessiree... that's not only qualified to be in the bite thread but probably a top winner. I do believe you and @JLcribber are neck in neck top contenders for the worst bites.

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Yep, that’s a bite and one nasty bruise too. That’s going to scar.

I’ve had two similar experiences. Takes a little while to trust again. Hang in there
That scar will just go along with the ones from horse bites and mule kicks. Those didn't stop me from getting back in the saddle either.

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Oh gosh... that's a nasty bite Mike. I do hope you will go get some stitches in it and I trust you cleaned it out well. Yessiree... that's not only qualified to be in the bite thread but probably a top winner. I do believe you and @JLcribber are neck in neck top contenders for the worst bites.
My wife is an RN with lots of ER experience. She doctored me after she got home. It's well cleaned and has butterfly bandages on it to help close it. Thank goodness I heal fast.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A built in nurse would be so handy. Lucky man. :D

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
That scar will just go along with the ones from horse bites and mule kicks. Those didn't stop me from getting back in the saddle either.
Never been bitten by a horse. I have... been tossed over the head, not once, but twice, the worst was down a hill from the top of the hill... my horse went right over me as I laid at the bottom of that hill. I thought she was going to step on me as she ran over. I looked up from the ground and watched those chunky grey buns churning soil as she ran off. I've jumped off a horse that wouldn't stop and was heading for a metal corral... kicked off to one side of the saddle and looked for a clear spot to jump off ( living in Spain and it was very rocky ground).... needless to say I did get kicked in the back as I went down, but not an easy feat on a runaway horse. The worst.... my own horse took the bit and made a dead run back to the stable, she was new to me by a couple months and I was riding with an english saddle. All I could do was hang on and hope for the best. Instead, she passed the stable, came to a four way intersection where a guy sat in his car broadside to us and when she laid her hind hooves down to stop ... they came right out from under her when we hit pavement... completely down on her side with me on her and slammed into the car. We both had road rash but neither of us broke any bones... slight concussion and one night in the hospital. I got back on her ten days later and ended up buying a western saddle. Enough of the english crap. I trained and rode her in rodeos, barrel racing and pick up race. The good ol' days!!!!

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I got back on her ten days later and ended up buying a western saddle. Enough of the english crap.
I'm with you! Give me a saddle horn for my hands, a high cantle for my rear and wide stirrups for my feet and I'll try to stay on any thing I get that saddle on. This is my biggest horse scar on my left thigh from the bite of a horse that wasn't even mine. I rode up next to a horse on a trail ride that was balking on a creek crossing and tried to take the reins and lead it across. As soon as I got the reins that wacko chopped down on my thigh and laid it open. That was almost 25 years ago. 0617192301.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm with you! Give me a saddle horn for my hands, a high cantle for my rear and wide stirrups for my feet and I'll try to stay on any thing I get that saddle on. This is my biggest horse scar on my left thigh from the bite of a horse that wasn't even mine. I rode up next to a horse on a trail ride that was balking on a creek crossing and tried to take the reins and lead it across. As soon as I got the reins that wacko chopped down on my thigh and laid it open. That was almost 25 years ago. View attachment 307581
Daaaang!! So unusual for a horse to do that. Must have been a real meanie... was it a gelding?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm with you! Give me a saddle horn for my hands, a high cantle for my rear and wide stirrups for my feet and I'll try to stay on any thing I get that saddle on. This is my biggest horse scar on my left thigh from the bite of a horse that wasn't even mine. I rode up next to a horse on a trail ride that was balking on a creek crossing and tried to take the reins and lead it across. As soon as I got the reins that wacko chopped down on my thigh and laid it open. That was almost 25 years ago. View attachment 307581
I rode with this saddle for a while on my second horse in Spain. I sold the first horse and it was the biggest mistake ever. I felt like I wasn't participating with friends enough after a year and a half. I was destroyed when I couldn't get her back. A couple months later I ended up buying a horse from a bull fighter. He had fancy foot work but would kick you if he could so cleaning hooves was a ride in itself. I kept this saddle for years after moving back stateside. I paid 200.00 for it and took it to an Ebay store to list for me back in 1997 ( I bought that saddle in 1976 from a company in Spain that made them) and it sold on Ebay for 700.00... I got 500.00. My standard poodle was the model for the saddle: No horn to speak of but a nice high back. The sheepskin seat cover was removable.

saddle.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Worse than a gelding - it was a mare in season that was also a mustang adoption. I still remember the horse's name - Mustang Sally was her barrel racing name but her barn name was Sonya.
My nickname back then was "Sally Slick". I guess I had a little mean streak too... :D