• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Females are "less friendly"?

MenomaMinx

Sprinting down the street
Tohru,
I'm not really sure you want this answer, going to tell you because I would want it.

Watch your bird correct itself, from a natural budgie posture to the one with the tail curled under when it moves on to a new perch.

By correcting itself, I mean the the bird rearranged its bodies looked balance properly given its neurological relationship to its surroundings – the bird didn't have inner ear balance issues, or that would tilt to the side permanently as a recovery from such an infection.

I've seen this in nearly every bird I've ever seen attending to perch on an extremely unstable surface – and with my very own Kumiko on rare occasion.

My avian vet's first idea for her balance issues was epilepsy(there's a lot out there beyond grand mal and petite mall seizures-- believe me, I have it, and it's neither one of those).

I don't think it's one of mine either, but I believe you're looking at the neurological disorder concerning balance as a symptom. In fact, I think if I showed this to Dr.Popoopla, he would know exactly what it was-- he's the one who originally discovered I had prior perception issues and has actually been able to treat them.

I've been way behind of my doctors, and granted he's a doctor for humans, but he's also brilliant and extremely personable – so I think he would be willing to look at it.

He's Nigerian, and he had training there as well as here in the US. With your permission, I'll show him when I see him, but that might be a little while.

Do you want help to research this yourself, or do you want to wait a little for an answer that's more definitive?

You didn't do anything wrong.

That bird looks happy, although slightly frustrated.

That bird is doing everything be a part of its flock, which includes you, or it wouldn't be trying to correct body posture to compensate for the balance issue.

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
Also just so you know, Petsmart and Petco are not allowed to ever euthanize any animal...Ever. A vet can but that animal is seen by a vet and the VET deems their quality of life ( extremely sick and unlikely to recover ) so low that they will euthanize....but never the pet store.
Do you really believe a business, any business, would pay an avian vet $50 to determine if a budgie that they buy for $2 and sell for $20 is sick and, when he does, pay $100 to euthanize it?

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
Male budgies only interest in life seems to be procreation so they are programmed to woo the female (one of their 'tricks' is to learn the hen's dialect and talk to her in it and that's why males learn to talk human speech and females usually don't) and tend to be sweeter-tempered than hens which don't 'need' to be sweet because there will always be a male who will want them, anyway.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
One also has to take into account that individual bird's own personality. I had one cock budgie who was extremely laid back and non-aggressive and just loved everyone. Tevye was my most tame budgie, ever. Golda, his mate, was aggressive and nippy; yet her sister, Havalyn, was hand tame and snuggly. Generalizations are just guidelines and individual birds will be who they are. This is why it is so important to spend time with any bird you are thinking about purchasing.

But, spending time with a bird is also not always helpful. I 'courted' my Meyers cock, Hobbs for six months before I finally bought him and took him home. After one months, he turned into a biting monster and it took me another year to retrain him after getting expert advice from a bird behaviorist. No matter how loving and tame they act in their store or rescue setting, remember that being taken home to your house will ultimately bring out all their personality, not just their 'visiting friend' personality.

Tohru1529

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Tohru,
I'm not really sure you want this answer, going to tell you because I would want it.

Watch your bird correct itself, from a natural budgie posture to the one with the tail curled under when it moves on to a new perch.

By correcting itself, I mean the the bird rearranged its bodies looked balance properly given its neurological relationship to its surroundings – the bird didn't have inner ear balance issues, or that would tilt to the side permanently as a recovery from such an infection.

I've seen this in nearly every bird I've ever seen attending to perch on an extremely unstable surface – and with my very own Kumiko on rare occasion.

My avian vet's first idea for her balance issues was epilepsy(there's a lot out there beyond grand mal and petite mall seizures-- believe me, I have it, and it's neither one of those).

I don't think it's one of mine either, but I believe you're looking at the neurological disorder concerning balance as a symptom. In fact, I think if I showed this to Dr.Popoopla, he would know exactly what it was-- he's the one who originally discovered I had prior perception issues and has actually been able to treat them.

I've been way behind of my doctors, and granted he's a doctor for humans, but he's also brilliant and extremely personable – so I think he would be willing to look at it.

He's Nigerian, and he had training there as well as here in the US. With your permission, I'll show him when I see him, but that might be a little while.

Do you want help to research this yourself, or do you want to wait a little for an answer that's more definitive?

You didn't do anything wrong.

That bird looks happy, although slightly frustrated.

That bird is doing everything be a part of its flock, which includes you, or it wouldn't be trying to correct body posture to compensate for the balance issue.
I do not have her anymore but I wonder why also if look at the video she thin in the tummy and,were the tail is big. I know she lay two eggs in 2010. I was young. She was sick but I did not know.

Deueller

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Zach
Do you really believe a business, any business, would pay an avian vet $50 to determine if a budgie that they buy for $2 and sell for $20 is sick and, when he does, pay $100 to euthanize it?
Yes, because when I was an undergraduate student, I worked there. My first week we got 3 guinea pigs that had pneumonia and we took the 3 months to treat them and care for them, even when the vet wanted euthanize one because of some scaring in his lungs.

So I am very positive that this is the case.

Debbie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debbie
Well, no matter what the bird, I have always leaned towards getting males if possible just because you don't have to worry about any egg laying issues. I have only had 2 female budgies, 1 was very friendly, but a little nippy, the other was shy and sweet. I have always heard also that females tended to be a little nippy. While I will say most of my boy budgies have not been nippy, the 2 females (I still have 1 left) were not as bad as I thought they would be once I found out I had 2 girls and not 2 boys. The talking thing does not concern me. I have 2 boys now in the same cage so I doubt either one will be talking, but that is ok...I love budgies...love the colors...love their chatter....

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
The sweetest bird I've ever had was a female budgie. Her name was Weasley, and she was just the sweetest thing. She would sit up on my shoulder and play with my hair, she'd cuddle with me, she hardly ever bit anyone, and when she didn't in wasn't hard at all. My other two females, Bella and Hermione, aren't hand tame. Bella is pretty mean (but that doesn't make me love her any less). Hermione is nice, but only on her own terms. When she's in the mood, she'll fly over and be super friendly. Devynn, who was also a female, was also nice, but only on her own terms. I didn't get much time to work with her before she passed. :(

Jacob, who was a male budgie, was very sweet, but also very skittish. Another one of my males, Dudley, was also very, very sweet once he warmed up to us. My current male, Dobby, is mean (again, that doesn't make me love him any less), and he bites the hardest out of all the 7 budgies I've ever owned.

So I think it just depends on the bird. :)

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I don't have an opinion on female vs male budgies because I have never had a budgie. BUT I just noticed you live in E. wareham? I grew up in Marion, still have family there!! :D

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I have found that the males tend to be quicker to warm up to new things, hence why some people may say they are "friendlier" but I've had very close relationships with both. The male was fond of everyone and the female bonded really close to only me. Of course it's all up to the individual!

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
My female is feistier and moodier than my male. She is also more weary of me, and they both came from a store.
Chit and Pengiuin my Quaker get along, even though they´re not best friends, you can tell they´re buds. But Penguin is not a fan of Ananda.

I always assumed female budgies need to be more ¨aggressive¨ since they are IN the nests and must defend themfrom intruders or other budgie pairs looking for a nest site etc.

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
Yes, because when I was an undergraduate student, I worked there. My first week we got 3 guinea pigs that had pneumonia and we took the 3 months to treat them and care for them, even when the vet wanted euthanize one because of some scaring in his lungs.

So I am very positive that this is the case.
I hope you are right but I would think it all depends on the manager because I've heard horror stories about Petsmart and Petco (putting sick animals in the freezer to euthanize them -an employee even laughing about how hamsters would still be alive and running around like crazy after an hour in it!)

Deueller

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Zach
I hope you are right but I would think it all depends on the manager because I've heard horror stories about Petsmart and Petco (putting sick animals in the freezer to euthanize them -an employee even laughing about how hamsters would still be alive and running around like crazy after an hour in it!)
Maybe You are right, nether of us can say for sure. But from my own personal experience I can say that is Not true at all. And most stories are just that, stories made up to entice emotional responses. I do hope that it is not true. But I can definitely say it was not in my store. I only worked there for two years, and in my time we made sure every animal was cared for to the best of our ability.

Callista15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Callista(Cally)
I'd say it just depends upon the bird. I've had budgies of each sex that were nasty, bitey little critters, and then there was Dawn and Joey, male and female, the sweetest little creatures on earth.

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
I've only had three budgies. The male, Kitush was my best buddy. The two females were okay but no where near as personable. They loved me from a distance. But I think as always, it depends on the personality of the individual bird.

JayByrd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jay
I'm glad to see this thread right off, because it's something i've been curious about myself. you see, I have two female budgies (at least i think both are female, but that's for a different thread) and they are the only budgies i've ever had myself. But they are kind of bitey and skiddish. However my girl sunshine is a sweetheart when she wants to be. she can mimic kissing sounds, and stuff. and at times she lets me hold her, and rub her chest. But really she lets me give her attention on her terms. i love her to death anyway. She is often really mean around her cage, and sometimes she flat out doesn't wanna be messed with. Sweetheart is a really shy (maybe) girl. but if you take time and patience with her she will step up and allow you to hold her for abit, but any touching and she flys. i really think it comes down to the bird. i am planning on getting a male to..we will see how he goes. but i hear any hand raised budgee is more apt to being tame. i hope all this feedback helps

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
old post but i think some owners dont want to handle egg laying? egg bound budgies can be a scary situation and i guess some people arent willing to "take the risk".

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Yes, a post from 2014. I don't agree females are less anything and I prefer hens to cocks as pets. There is that period of peril, before the virgin hen passes her first egg without problems. If the hen has a congenial deformity in her ovarian tract, the new pet could die very quickly and in pain, and there is no testing to find out if a hen is impaired. But better than most hens will pass their egg without problem. There remains the risk of egg binding, but keeping the bird in excellent health and encouraging flight all but remove the risk and quick intervention when it occurs saves most hens. The only other problems hens experience have to do with excessive egg production and can be managed most times with behavioral and sometimes and in extreme cases with hormone therapy. Again, good health and health maintenance are required.

I prefer hens as pet birds, but they often want cocks as company to pair off with. So I allow them to have what they want. I manage my flock numbers by removing and destroying fertile eggs. I can stop life from overwhelming me at the egg stage, but cannot cull a chick which has already hatched. An extremely deformed chick I will have euthanized, but a lightly deformed one I will allow to live and even hand feed if needs be.

When you have hens, you have decisions to make. Just like any other issues in your life.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've heard that females can be more cuddly/touchable than the males but in general, the males do seem to be sweeter birds.

In the wild, the females do most of the work of excavating and defending the nest, so they do tend to be more territorial and also tend to chew and destroy things more than males.

I've only had 2 males and 1 female, all one at a time. The female was super-sweet and cuddly as a baby (which is why I decided to get her, even though I had been planning to get a male before I met her). However, she became unfriendly and rather aggressive as she got older. Sometimes I could be sitting quietly and she would fly over and try as hard as she could to rip out a chunk of flesh for no reason at all (not just me, other people as well). She of course lacked the beak strength to actually cause injury - but it was clear she was really trying as hard as she could to hurt us.
The males were both very sweet and gentle. The one I have now, Sammy, has a little bit of attitude; but still, he doesn't seem to even know how to bite. Pippin, my other male, was even nicer, the sweetest sweet bird imaginable. But, neither of my male budgies could ever be called cuddly the way the female was cuddly as a baby. Sweet, friendly and affectionate, yes, but not cuddly.

But just the fact that female budgies are a little bitier and feistier than males doesn't automatically make them worse pets. After all, people are willing pay more for parrotlets than for budgies and parrotlets are feistier birds. It just depends on what type of personality someone really wants in a pet.\

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
In my experience, I have found females to be a lot more clever and have stronger personalities (which to me is a positive thing!). All the males I've had have been a lot more passive than females.

I prefer males though overall, just because I did lose my prized Bonnie to being egg bound and I never want to go through that again :(