• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Females are "less friendly"?

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
We also lost a female to egg binding, which is why I will always prefer males.

Right now we have two males and a females and the males have always been much more laid back. While the females are always ready to defend their home or bicker over a food bowl the males are much more likely to back down from a fight.

Also, though they aren't tame birds our lab does have a huge flock of budgies which we study. We recently had to do a "budgie round-up" and transfer half of the birds to a newly renovated outdoor aviary. Males in one side, females in the other. Before release into the aviary each bird had to be taken from their flight cage and weighed, IDed, etc. During this process the females were WAY more vocal and WAY more bitey. Let's just say I can see why the "less friendly" stereotype exists.

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
i think i may be a bit biased here haha ive kept budgies a female and a male. they were both hand tame. the male was very sweet and he would allow scritches and such while the female only liked sitting on my shoulder and didnt like to be petted. i adore any gender i just may be a bit biased >< :lol:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Egg binding is heart breaking and I, too, lost a GCC hen to it. I found her dead in her nest box sitting on the first two eggs she laid, but the third egg apparently had broken inside her and that is what killed her. I had only had her for a month, and she was on a special diet to increase her calcium levels when she started laying eggs. I was afraid she was mineral deficient and she was. Pichu was a darling bird and I still miss her "pichu" call in the birdroom. All her cock mate does is SCREAM, not call and BITE me constantly.

allie136

Strolling the yard
My first budgie was female and so tame and cuddly, so I was shocked when I got a second female along with a male and both were so aggressive towards me. I couldn't tame them at all but still let them out the cages to fly around, then I'd get bitten when catching them to put back in.

Both bites hurt but the male hurt worse, he seemed to clamp down harder but maybe because he was slightly larger?

As some others have said, I believe it's more to do with the individual bird's personality and how tame it is, rather than a male or female trait.

I decided on a female budgie for my new bird, because I think they are quieter than males in the frequency of their chirpings, especially kept as the only bird.

Bluejayandemmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kara
I think that both Genders are friendly. A couple months ago when me and my mom was at a local farm store called Mendocino fram supply their was a female budgie looking at me. I got her in December of last year

Hinkismom

Moving in
Real Name
Mary
We've had two female budgies, and they were both friendly and tame. Neither of these birds have liked to be held or cuddled, but would sit on a shoulder and supervise whatever it was we were doing, give us kissies, play and talk to us.

Feisty and opinionated is probably a reasonable description for these little cuties, but it is (was) impossible not to love them to pieces. We've had our second budgie for about 1.5 yrs now-adopted her from a lady who became ill and unable to care for her, she's about 2.5 yrs old now, and nobody told HER that females don't talk. She's a real chatterbox, and has picked up quite a vocabulary.

Brae

Meeting neighbors
I love both male & female budgies. The reason I prefer males is that my Lucky was a chronic egg layer (despite not having a nesting box or mate). She would lay of clutch of 8-12 eggs (I realize that is very usual) and sit on the bottom of her cage for weeks until she would discard them. A week later she would begin laying all over again. We tried hormone shots & implants. The shots only worked for about 3 weeks and the implants would work for about 3 months. Lucky was the sweetest girl ever! Since Lucky we have always had males.

(BTW we do have a Lola now but he is a male bird. We got him from a rescue and didn't want to change his name.)

NandayLover

Walking the driveway
I rescued two Budgies in November last year, a male and a female. Never worked with, possibly exbreeders. The male was a terrible, terrible biter. He would either fly or bite and wanted nothing to do with hands. The female is an angel, she almost instantly took to people and is the tamest Budgie I've ever had.
I also have an albino female I've had for 3 years, she's super flighty and dislikes people, she doesn't bite though. Depends on individual personality

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
In the world of budgie females are the boss. This can make them somewhat testy. The females I have had were not interested in being friendly. The males have been great. I will admit Murphy has a tendency to bite if he is not in a happy mood and rather strong willed. Mickey on the other hand is as sweet as they come. They all have different personalities and behaviors, no matter what the gender.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
It always saddens me when people think that the females are less friendly and don't make good companions. My two favourite and best companion birds are both female. :) And Candy talks and mimics just as well as any other male. She can say "Pretty Bird." "Kisses" "I'm a pretty bird" "What are you doing Candy?" "Pretty birdie birdie birdie birdie...." "How's your day" And she's learning more and more all the time.

SchwuggieLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
In my experience it's not a lack of friendliness per se, but the females tend to be more bitey, so some people may mistake that as being "unfriendly." And then as others have said, there are the egg dangers. My girl has never produced an egg thankfully, but I look at her belly every day and am always on the lookout for signs of "pregnancy."
I have a female and a male, both are sweet although neither are very hand tame. But as mentioned, the female has always been more bitey... My sister had a female (Apollo) and a male (Artemis), and my brother had a male (Spyder) who shared a cage with Artemis and Apollo. Artemis was the most friendly and outgoing, Spyder was super laid-back and easy going. Apollo (although hand tame) was and is pretty moody, and has always been more of a biter.