• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favorite lovebird treats?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Okay, so far my little foster lovebird is not food motivated at all. He's settling in well and I want to work with him more and also encourage him to start coming out of the cage. But I've found no food he seems especially interested in. He ignores millet spray, avicakes, and cheerios. (All things my tiel loved.) I've given him apples and grapes and he's ignored them. I do have him eating yellow peppers (which I was really excited about) but he eats them- he doesn't love them. Any suggestions? What do your lovies really like?

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Besides millet, Kumo goes nuts for the fruity Zupreem pellets. I only give him about half a teaspoon once a week though, as a treat.
He'll also occasionally eat a piece of a shelled sunflower seed, but it has to be quite small.
For fresh food, he likes scrambled egg quite a bit.

Good luck finding his favorite treats! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Besides millet, Kumo goes nuts for the fruity Zupreem pellets. I only give him about half a teaspoon once a week though, as a treat.
He'll also occasionally eat a piece of a shelled sunflower seed, but it has to be quite small.
For fresh food, he likes scrambled egg quite a bit.

Good luck finding his favorite treats! :)
Thanks! I have fruity Zupreem pellets too. I haven't seen him eat them yet. Sigh. There has to be something he really likes........

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Have you tried sunflower kernels and small pieces of nuts? Like pine, hazelnut, walnut and almonds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you tried sunflower kernels and small pieces of nuts? Like pine, hazelnut, walnut and almonds.
I haven't. Good ideas, thanks!

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Anakin loves sunflower, doesn't care for millet sprays. Luna is the opposite, though she's fond of sunflower now. Keep trying. I'm sure there's something.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine aren't food motivated either, but they do love corn and peas - these items are highly favored (and starchy, of course, lol).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I will give all the suggestions a try. Thanks!

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck :dance4:

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Nutriberries, millet and broccoli (o_O) has been a favorite for my lovies. Sprout loves to pick at the broccoli crown and stem. Sometimes I will put some of her favorite seeds sticking out of the crown as foraging fun. lol

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Nutriberries, millet and broccoli (o_O) has been a favorite for my lovies. Sprout loves to pick at the broccoli crown and stem. Sometimes I will put some of her favorite seeds sticking out of the crown as foraging fun. lol
I'm going to have to try broccoli. That was one of Sunny's favs too. I like the foraging idea. :)

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
The only thing my budgies go crazyyyy for is millet :) I know you said that hasn't been successful so far with the lovie :( Hope that you find something that works! :D
Edit: Sorry I don't have any suggestions lol

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The only thing my budgies go crazyyyy for is millet :) I know you said that hasn't been successful so far with the lovie :( Hope that you find something that works! :D
Edit: Sorry I don't have any suggestions lol
I was pretty surprised he didn't like millet. I thought I was giving him a special treat and he tossed it aside and hasn't touched it since.

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
Mine really seem to love sweet potato, but it did not motivate them to step up. :shakehead: I gave them some millet for the first time yesterday. They didn't seem real excited, but it is gone now!

I need to try the broccoli idea, too! That sounds great. I hid seeds and stuff around their cage, but nothing hard for them to get to, yet. That sounds like fun for them! :yes4:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Nutri-berries have been working wonders for me but that has now been their primary diet per the vet because of their age and the fact they are a bunch of fatties.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Have you tried blueberries or raspberries? Pilo loves em! Well, to tell you the truth, he's also a piglet on toes! He would eat the skin off a tennis ball if you let him! :banghead:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
LOL @Lodah they are feathered eating machines who ever says they eat like a bird must be starving to death all the time