• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fattening

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Anyone know of a good fattening seed or food for their fids? Still trying to get Bo to gain weight.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Get one of mammas birdie bread mixes sold in amazon. You can customize the mix as you like. My two adore the stuff. I put in some cooked sweet potato, green veggies, coconut oil, eggs, carrots, finely chopped nuts and pellets, applesauce. Whatever you want really.

After baking i cut into small square and freeze them. When I give it to my birds I usually sprinkle some millet seed in top. Oh I also add some baby food low in iron.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Millet and sunflower seed. Sunflower seed not preferred food, though. Nuts such as almonds and cashews or maybe almond and cashew butter.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
If he eats mash, add cous cous tiny teeny pastas. Or, have you tried any egg food? Birds generally love this too.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In my experience, Volkman seed. I keep some on hand for my two lightweight birds to mix in with their pellets (the high potency Harrison’s) and other foodstuffs.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Get a breeder version of pellets for the extra fat and protein.

Hemp seeds, unsweetened coconut, almonds, unsweetened almond butter, coconut oil... all can help put on weight and are healthy and can be mixed with seed.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Macadamia nuts and Pecan nuts have some of the highest fats in them. I also add chia seeds, flaxseeds and hemp hearts in my birdie bread

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I tried the all seed wheat bread with almond butter I got screamed at for a good 20 minutes till I left his presence. Even Gracie looked at it like it was going to kill her or something. Anything that looks remotely foreign to them is a big no no. They freak out like it's going to eat them and I get yelled at. I even try the Oh look num nums yeah all that gets me is a bite in the face.

@fluffypoptarts can you send me a picture of what you use please :) I am going to be placing an order for some sunflower seeds this week after talking with the vet on Friday.

@BirdManDan I will chop up some pecans and sneak them into his food this morning when I get home from work.

@Mizzely you don't happen to have a picture by chance? I am trying to stay off the PC because of migraine problems.

The best part is when they both get going when I haven't slept for 2 days lol. All I hear is my hubby telling them to both be quiet lol.

I don't want to stress him out any more as he is having a hard time with grandma not being there and there are boxes all over my living room right now from my mother-in-law.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Cooked or sprouted quinoa is also good, high in protein.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Cooked or sprouted quinoa is also good for adding weight and full of protein.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A picture of what? Breeder pellets? Most brands have a high energy/ high potency version. So it depends on what brand you are feeding. Harrison's, Roudybush, Hagen, Mazuri, Kaytee, Pretty Bird and Zupreem all offer some. Here's the Roudybush and Harrison's as an example

Screenshot_20180516-095156.png

Screenshot_20180516-095540.png

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Nutri-an cakes from the vet are really good for them. But I had to give Elvis critical care to keep his weight on. Almond butter is really good too.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@fluffypoptarts I hear you but they are known for being supremely stubborn and mean for a reason. As my hubby would say good thing your so cute lol.
Yeah well, it’s kind of one of their defining traits, isn’t it? :) And adorable until it comes down to resisting things that are for their well-being! One of my greatest entertainments in life is watching/listening to my girlfriend trying to negotiate with the lovebirds. :rofl:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't give up on the almond butter. How about eating a piece of toast with almond butter while sitting next to him?

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@fluffypoptarts lol My husband does the same thing lol. He tries to talk to her and see if she will let him pet her... this has been going on for about 10 years and still a no go lol.

@iamwhoiam I would but the area is still full of boxes. I am going to try and see if I can get all the boxes removed this weekend. I am tired of looking at them.