• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Experience appreciated

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'd recommend you look at a male Eclectus, a female Amazon, or, possibly, a grey. They often enjoy/prefer ambient attention, i.e. hanging out. That said, species generalizations are just that. You have to go by the individual, so I agree that an older bird is a good way to go for you. And there are so many wonderful birds that need homes.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really wish I could offer species advice, but I only have experience with my bird, Java, which is extremely rare in aviculture. For the most part, he's content to just hang out with me and look out the window and play with his toys. I'm not sure if this is a trait or the fact that he's still warming up to me (had him for 7 months). If they weren't so rare, I'd recommend a Vasa, but I'm completely biased. I wish you the best of luck in searching for your feathered companion.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Good luck with your search. Best to go out and interact with a variety of birds. Are there any rescues in your area?

MrsPHD

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
I’m having trouble finding them within a distance that would be reasonable to travel regularly. I haven’t received a response from some. I wonder if they’re still active? Does anyone have suggestions for central Texas Hill Country?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I’m having trouble finding them within a distance that would be reasonable to travel regularly. I haven’t received a response from some. I wonder if they’re still active? Does anyone have suggestions for central Texas Hill Country?

Vasas or other species? There are lots of breeders and bird stores in Texas.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

MrsPHD

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
Vasas or other species? There are lots of breeders and bird stores in Texas.
In general. Many are quite a distance from me and the ones nearer haven’t responded to my inquiries. If I could settle on a a species I could try some breeders I think but I’m not wanting a young bird so I doubt they will be eager to entertain me. Looking like I’ll have to drive a little to visit rescues and foster parents.

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
In general. Many are quite a distance from me and the ones nearer haven’t responded to my inquiries. If I could settle on a a species I could try some breeders I think but I’m not wanting a young bird so I doubt they will be eager to entertain me. Looking like I’ll have to drive a little to visit rescues and foster parents.
I agree with the post above that mentioned male Eclectus and African Grey (I have a female). While all Eclectus and Grey's will have distinct personalities, my male Eclectus (Mowgli) was a dream. He loved to go all around the house with me. I even had a bird "car seat" for him for outings to the pet shop. The people there loved to see him and he loved seeing them. He rarely screamed, only when the gardener went by the window with a blower. He had a huge vocabulary and loved to use all the words he new and make up a song. Adorable! Eclectus are however very messy eaters. Sadly he crossed rainbow bridge several years ago. Broke my heart.

I now have a 23 year old female Congo African Grey. I adopted her when she was 13. She's a doll! She also rarely screams, and she has many of the same characteristics as Mowgli, with the exception of travel. She gets car sick. She however has a great deal of dander.......like a LOT of dander! I have invested in a very good quality air filter.

I hope you are able to find the perfect bird for you and your family!