• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Experience appreciated

MrsPHD

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
I have been considering joining the world of parrot lovers for a very long time. It is not a decision I take lightly and I’ve been good at accepting that it wasn’t the right time for years now. I feel that I am in a place to make the leap soon and I really want to choose a companion that has the best chance of integrating with our family. I am looking for some links to comprehensive parrot comparisons that experienced owners trust. I don’t have a particular breed in mind, I’m more concerned with choosing one whose general temperament and personality traits are compatible with our family. This is huge decision for me and there’s so much information out there so any direction would be helpful. I am pretty sure I would like to adopt rather than go through a breeder and I also feel drawn to older or even special needs birds if anyone has any experience with that. Sorry for the mini book

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
There are many members here who can help you narrow down what species you're looking for. What sort of temperament and traits do you prefer to find? How much noise and destruction can you handle? Do you have young children in your family? What is your housing situation like? What is the energy level of your home like?

MrsPHD

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
Above all I want to try to find a confident and playful bird. I have done a little research and I think the silliness and clingy nature of some might not suit me as well as I used to think. A moderate amount of noise and destruction wouldn’t be a deal breaker. I have grown children and younger children but no babies or toddlers. We have owned our home for many years. Much of the time I would be the only person home with the bird. I envision a companion that likes to sit and play in the room where I am and talk and vocalize or maybe even follow me some. I would like them to accompany me on short errands and weekend getaways even.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Since I only have bird experience with Budgies, I'll let others guide you on the species question, but I just wanted to offer you a big :welcomesign:

Good luck with your choice and I can't wait to hear more and eventually see photos!

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Another thing too, does anyone in your family have allergies, the reason I say that is some birds have 'dust'. That can be helped with an air purifier. Another point, do you have any bird rescues around you, if you do you might stop and see the birds as well as hear them.

MrsPHD

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
Fortunately no allergies to any birds I have exposed us to. My Nana had a couple of budgies and the little ones seemed fine even with prolonged contact. They loved them. The female would nibble at their fingers and call them over to her. It was so sweet. As to rescues I just don’t know where to look. Many I’ve contacted have their birds fostered out so I’d have to visit several locations. I’m in central Texas if that helps.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Rachel - this might be a good place to start - some of them may not be in operation any longer, but you could see if their website is still operating and give them a call! That's great that you wish to do rescue if possible! I'm in Texas too.
Texas Bird Rescue Groups < clickable link there

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue.
I envision a companion that likes to sit and play in the room where I am and talk and vocalize or maybe even follow me some. I would like them to accompany me on short errands and weekend getaways even.
This concerns me. Most birds are loud, messy, and have a mind of their own. Most birds don't talk much- if at all. "Sitting and playing"...birds get bored easily, and aren't going to be satisfied sitting in one place for long periods of time.

I take my 'too on occasional errands and we do pet therapy with him. (and our other birds) Milton's a handful at all times in public, even for myself. Remember, not all places are "pet friendly"...and then there's restraining your bird during transport (that means travel cage)...and most importantly, harnessing your bird in public.

I commend your desire to be owned by a bird...because that's what it really comes down to. Keep researching...and please look into volunteering at a rescue. You'll begin to get that all-important "hands on" experience that you'll need in the future...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If you go down to the section on the forum for the individual types of birds, for each, there is a "Good, Bad and the Ugly" section. It will give you an idea of what the different types of birds are like. The best way, though is to try to interact with some birds. And welcome to the forum!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Welcome to the Avenue.

This concerns me. Most birds are loud, messy, and have a mind of their own. Most birds don't talk much- if at all. "Sitting and playing"...birds get bored easily, and aren't going to be satisfied sitting in one place for long periods of time.

I take my 'too on occasional errands and we do pet therapy with him. (and our other birds) Milton's a handful at all times in public, even for myself. Remember, not all places are "pet friendly"...and then there's restraining your bird during transport (that means travel cage)...and most importantly, harnessing your bird in public.

I commend your desire to be owned by a bird...because that's what it really comes down to. Keep researching...and please look into volunteering at a rescue. You'll begin to get that all-important "hands on" experience that you'll need in the future...
Glad you mentioned that, Bob, it was a concern for me as well.

We have one member here who taught his bird to fly to him and now doesn’t like it flying to him at random times. I have a caique that adores my husband and lands on him every time she sees him — he’s not crazy about her to put it mildly. I think a bird is like a 2 year old child, you spend your day either following or trying to distract them.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Goodness knows, I'm not trying to discourage the OP in any way from bringing a bird into her home...I'm just concerned when anyone says they want a bird to "sit and stay" in one place for extended periods of time...that just doesn't happen that often! ;)

MrsPHD

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
I understand the concerns and I think I may have over simplified. What I meant to convey was my hope for a bird that would enjoy sharing the space with me, more like playing on and around me. I’m not looking for sit and be quiet companion but more like one who enjoys riding around on my shoulder from chore to chore or utilizing play areas in different rooms where I’m going about my routine. When I say talking I mean any sort of vocalization not necessarily words. I have been around some parrots through my employment and I just get a lot of enjoyment out of mimicking the sounds they make and going back and forth that way. I am hoping to find a way to interact with some birds once I narrow down my focus.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Got it! Well, now my husband is crazy about cockatiels. They ride around on him a lot. They're not on me so much, but when I'm working in their room I'll suddenly feel soft feet, and usually a tug on my hair that lets me know its a tiel. We unfortunately got a DOG 2 years ago, a cocker, and she isn't allowed in the bird room so the tiels consider that their safety zone, they rarely come out. They like to hang out on their playground, if you had an area like that I'm sure hanging out with you would be a favorite activity. Both girls, no talking but lots of chirps and one squeals if you do what she doesn't like. Which at one moment or another, Miss Bossy doesn't like everything. (bad grammar. You get the point)

What else do we have.... 2 caiques, there is no "hanging out" with those 2. You have to be fully on all the time. even if I take my reader outside to let them play on the lanai play area, they want to eat my reader or sit on it or bite my lips or ask me to sing so they can dance. No rest. Both talk - you will find that talking has nothing to do with your relationship with the bird so it becomes unimportant. I sort of wish I'd had caiques when I was 20 instead of now.

2 parrotlets, those 2 are afraid of hands unfortunately. Both were hand raised, so remember to observe whether a hand RAISED bird is hand TAME. They will however land on my head, shoulder, arm, etc. Skittles talks but Star doesn't. He also will play peekaboo, but he counts ahead and cheats. He can whistle tunes and you can tell whether he's imitating me whistling normally, me whistling through my teeth, or hubby who whistles with vibrato.

Canaries - ours are Glosters so they are a little bigger and have the shaggy hairdo. They are so full of personality. Very few canaries are trained but if you could find a hand tame one they are a joy. They love toys and will eat ANYTHING. The males sing and the females have a very soft chirp.

A pionus parrot - mine is a rescue, 22 years old and may or may not be a boy. He was grumpy and bit everyone until I showed up and he picked me (I wasn't there to look at him, I was looking at something else and had never heard of a pionus). Mine is a white cap so on the small side of medium, and not the best talker. We communicate very well anyway. This one LIVES on my shoulder and dislikes everyone else. Mine is very very quiet. Not so for everyone, I know @Eloy wears earplugs. He goes to the art center and pet store with me, sits on me while I paint, basically just lives on my shoulder. He lets me know when he needs to go back to his perch for a potty break. He's a curmudgeon trapped in feathers.

So.... if you go to the rescue, and just keep visiting and observing the different species, (not breeds) somebirdy will pick you. I had parameters like: Hubby doesn't want any big beaks, I have a hearing issue so certain voices make the inside of my ears melt, and I started with finches so small to medium is FINE with me. Also we want everything to be tame, which is so silly but we work really hard at making them comfortable.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Not so for everyone, I know @Eloy wears earplugs
Yes I do! :D Not that often, but when they start to scream they are LOUD and in some situations it is important to not react to their screaming.
Earplugs is great! :D

I am hoping to find a way to interact with some birds once I narrow down my focus.
Yes do that. Parrots are so sensitive so I you get one and then just some months later find out that a parrot is not for you, you will break their heart if you rehome them.

The easiest way to have a parrot is to have two. They have each other to play and interact with when you don't have the time or are home.
Parrots are animals that need someone 24/7, and you must ask yourself before getting one if you are willing to allowed the bird to be with you all the time.
And that is: Goodbye privacy! From no on you will never come back! And as your parrots are with or on you 24/7, you can no longer wear and use things that is dangerous to him/her. (and that is a lot of things)

To get a parrots is really to giving up on the life you have today, and create a new one.
This new life is you being a parrots slave, and you will clean, clean, and clean. It will never stop.
They are messy, they scream for attention, they cost a lot of money to have, and they bite you. Sometimes so hard so you must visit ER.
They are also very difficult to have. Read everything you can about parrots. And ask us questions when you have some.

If you decide that you have what it takes , you will also understand when your parrot bond to you why we all here are choosing this way of living.
Their is nothing that I wouldn't do for my parrots, I love them more then life, and a life without them is not worth living. That is the best way I can explain it.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome :)

I really like the idea of volunteering at rescue if you can. Having a bird pick you as an owner is one of the best ways of going about it in my opinion. Birds are all so different in their personalities including ones of the same species. My U2 sounds sort of sound like the type of bird you want personality wise. But most people really wouldn't recommend a cockatoo as a first bird as they can be incredibly difficult birds at times and are very loud and destructive. I lucked out and got a fairly easy Too. My point being the personality of the individual bird is crucial. And going the rescue route you'll have more of a chance to get to known a bird before you fully commit to him/her.

I probably never would have gotten in cockatoos if it wasn't for my time volunteering at a rescue. Hands on experience is so invaluable. If you find a way to do it, go for it! You won't regret it.

No matter how you end up getting a bird (or not if you decide it's not for you) I'd recommend taking your time with it and not getting a bird before you're really comfortable with what you're getting into. It's so great you're doing research and reaching out to bird owners. :)

Getting a bird is really changing your way of life. You have be so careful with safety concerns, no teflon or candles, ect. Its actually a pretty long list of things you have to concerned about. I'd recommend you looking through safety sections of the forum. Another thing to be aware of is the potential of bites and aggression in birds. It's a common problem and you have think about how you would deal with. For me personally it was really hard for me emotionally. I'm lucky as I work it out but some people biting can be a real deal breaker.

I've probably rambled on enough for now. :lol:But I wish luck on your journey to find the right bird for your family. I hope you enjoy your time here. This forum is a wealth of information so feel free to ask as many questions as you like :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
If u go to a rescue pick the parrot that falls immediately in love with you and picks you. I love my birds I got when they were adults and some of my best relationships are with them. No hormones or teenage type years to deal with and their personalities are great - at least the ones I’ve known. My first parrot was a 12 yr old umbrella cockatoo. No one will ever tell you to get one of those as your first bird. They’re demanding and tend to scream. But she glued to my shoulder in a pet store and 17 yrs later we are still good. Challenges ? Yes but it’s been worth it.

MrsPHD

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I guess after reading the advice so far I have decided on two things for sure. First I definitely want an adult bird. Second want to be chosen by a bird and not the other way around. Seems like from all I’ve read that the best relationships are formed that way which makes complete sense to me. I’m making plans to reach out to the rescue orgs that aren’t too far and hopefully things will progress. I wish volunteering was more practical but the distances we’re talking will make that difficult. I’m currently squashing the urge to do the Craig’s list thing. I know it’s a terrible idea but it’s hard to resist. I keep seeing the rehoming posts at the ages that all my research says it’s most common for babies that outgrow their first person. That little voice keeps saying maybe that’s your bird! Anyway I will soldier on making sure I do this the right way. Thank you everyone and advice is ALWAYS welcome.