• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Expanding foam

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is this stuff safe to use around birds?

I have some small gaps around my window that I need to fill in and was wondering how safe this stuff is to use around Burt.

He would not be able to get to the area I will be using it (once cured) but I’m not sure about VOC’s that may be omitted by this stuff.

Does anyone know much about this product? 7C913113-6C07-4B1A-8C38-F42B7B04DE89.png

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@JLcribber might know. I used Morlile weather stripping and caulking cord around windows to keep cold out. It works well but cant open windows or the cord will not work any more.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
While discharging and drying it's pretty toxic stuff. Once cured and covered it's fine. Takes a good 48 hours with good ventilation to cure.

Don't actively use it around your bird.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks @Lady Jane and @JLcribber.

My son actually had a can of it (I didn’t know) and we just read the back of the can for some information.
After reading how dangerous it can be for people while being used and curing I had decided I would not use it at this point in time. I have nowhere I can move Burt to while I use it and wait for it to cure so I’ll have to think up another temporary solution.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I've used the canned stuff and so far haven't noticed any horrible smells from it but I also don't use it right next to Dobbys area. I usually use it to fill holes where the mice come in or there are air leaks but if your bird can smell it I'm sure it's not good for them but so far the cans of great stuff I've used don't put out much smell I've noticed. It is pretty nasty stuff if it gets on you too as you need like nasty solvent to clean it off, but like said once it's fully cured it emits no smell at all and the mice haven't chewed through it yet where I used it and the air leaks and heat loss are gone. I'd say take them to the other end of the house and keep the area closed up so they don't get any fumes till it cures to be safe.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What about these?

Soybean-based spray foam: Although it has a similar R-Value, soybean-based foam does not contain MDI. Biobased and Demilec are two of the leading manufacturers of soy-foam.

Castor oil-based Icynene: This additional form of chemical-free insulation is even a spray foam, but without MDI.

Or just use the caulking cord @Lady Jane mentioned or duct seal compound temporarily.

Hope big are the gaps? Silicone caulk could take care of narrow spots & you should be able to peel it out fairly easily if you ever want to try something else.

Or you could use those plastic sheeting knits you can shrink wrap to the whole window as an insulator & I think you can still see through them pretty well. Or if visibility isn't important, you can stick clear bubble wrap to the window with just water. I think @Fergus Mom knows how to do it.

Or use something narrow like a screwdriver or a shim to shove wool or other insulation into the gaps.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What about these?

Soybean-based spray foam: Although it has a similar R-Value, soybean-based foam does not contain MDI. Biobased and Demilec are two of the leading manufacturers of soy-foam.

Castor oil-based Icynene: This additional form of chemical-free insulation is even a spray foam, but without MDI.

Or just use the caulking cord @Lady Jane mentioned or duct seal compound temporarily.

Hope big are the gaps? Silicone caulk could take care of narrow spots & you should be able to peel it out fairly easily if you ever want to try something else.

Or you could use those plastic sheeting knits you can shrink wrap to the whole window as an insulator & I think you can still see through them pretty well. Or if visibility isn't important, you can stick clear bubble wrap to the window with just water. I think @Fergus Mom knows how to do it.

Or use something narrow like a screwdriver or a shim to shove wool or other insulation into the gaps.

Wow that’s some options I hadn’t even thought about. I was wondering if silicone might work.
I’ll get a pic so you can see what I need to fill in. The darn neighbors keep burning green waste (they say they’re not but it smells like grass fire in my room all the time now) and it’s concerning me greatly. The air and slight dust I can deal with but the smell of whatever they burn is quite noxious and I’m so worried about Burt.

Off to get a pic lol.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
image.jpg
It has gaps of this size in various spots around the frame.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So I could use silicone in a caulking gun and that would be bird safe?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’ll kick myself if silicon in a caulking gun will be fine......I was gonna do it the moment we moved in but then I got worried about any fumes etc and didn’t bother. I thought it would be best to wait till I had the time to ask and read up before racing to do it.
If it wasn’t for the stinky smoke fumes from next door I wouldn’t be too concerned about the slight draft.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I used clear silicone caulking to sure up all my windows and cracks without issue. I shuffled my birds out and into a separate room with an air purifier to be safe. It smelled vaguely of glue but dissipated quickly. I do have hepa air purifiers in every room though so I’m sure that helped.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have a hepa filter in Burt’s room (lol my room) but at the moment I have nowhere I can put him while I use anything that may be iffy.

We have a new carpet and mattress (grrrr) airing out at one end of the house and the budgies are quarantined in the only other safe area I could temporarily put Burt.

Anything I use will need to be totally safe (can’t move him atm) or I can not do it for a minimal of a few more weeks (budgie quarantine room or carpet and mattress room are the only other places I could safely put Burt temporarily) ....my concern is VOC’s from carpet, mattress and other items my family can’t seem to live without at one end of the house, smoke from unknown burning crap coming in my window gaps or using VOC’s to fill the gap.
Argh what do I do???

I wasn’t planning on the neighbors constantly burning crap as it is illegal but for some reason they are getting away with it...they say it’s fire wood!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Some of the silicon is very acid smelling and some of it hardly has any smell depending on the kind. They make special formulas for various car applications that hardly has any smell at all and is safe for various car sensors that hate the acid older formulas. That version I think also might claim to be low VOC and I've used it at work and on my cars before. I would think the low smell version though probably not completely safe has to be safer then the older vinegar smelling formulas.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Then you might just shove something in there for now, then. :shrug3:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I would think the low smell version though probably not completely safe has to be safer then the older vinegar smelling formulas.
This is my favorite option so far. My only worry with the wool idea is if moisture gets to it, it could mold.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well, I still say as long as the area the bird is in can't get any of the fumes from whatever your using till it's setup so it stops off gassing you should be OK but you know how tight your house is and your bird so you have to do your research and make sure it's safe for your situation before you do anything. Dobby has been fine with no issues yet but I don't use that stuff close to his area and everything I've done doesn't fill the room or house with nasty fumes.
My Great Stuff can has all kinds of warnings on it and the ingredients sound very nasty so you have to be careful with it. It also says it cures in 8 hours but can cure slower if it's in really cold areas. Tack free: 15 minutes Cure: 8 hours. I suppose somebody sells the safer plant based versions so anyone needing it might want to search them out and see what turns up.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
This is my favorite option so far. My only worry with the wool idea is if moisture gets to it, it could mold.

Wool? I don’t think I’ve read that as an option but I’d be worried about the mold factor of that for sure :( which is unfortunate as I could get a lot of natural fleece (straight from the sheep) wool easily.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
This stuff is supposed to be aquarium safe and water proof when dry and might lead everyone to other safe or safer alternatives Great Stuff 157911 Gaps/Cracks, 20 oz. Straw (Pack of 12): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
I will have to see if there is an equivalent product here in Aus. It says it only ships in the US.
Do you think if it’s safe for fish that I could use it while Burt is in the same room?
I am aware that fish are also very sensitive to environmental changes and pollution but not sure about the comparison between fish and bird safety, that is not even something I have considered till just now.