• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Expanding foam

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Just google "foam weatherstripping. You can find all shapes and sizes of crack fillers. Just pack the crack with foam. No chemicals.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you all :)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Since this sounds like a very temporary problem... (hopefully!) the neighbors won't be burning that awful stuff for long huh? I would get a large piece of bubble wrap to adhere it to the window, as @faislaq mentioned. I used to wrap my north windows and some of the others too in winter, and the bubble wrap is SO easy to do, since you just spray the window with water, and then voila, the wrap sticks! Like when I am doing the bottom of the window where it opens, I will 'over' wrap it, and leave a large edge hanging onto the sill, to prevent the small air draft incoming.

After the bubble wrap, I found an even stronger solution for heat loss through windows (for the serious minded budget conscious).. eg: when you really can't afford that high electric bill for keeping heat on at a comfy level... it is said that windows in your home are just like cutting holes in your walls and letting the conditioned air out. So I went to hardware store and bought some panels of the rigid foam board insulation and cut it to fit my windows, then tacked a couple of finish nails in both side in middle to keep it in place.

But back to your current problem, you just need to stop this noxious burning stuff from seeping in, and I do believe the bubble wrap would be the easiest, simplest, cheapest, and most effective at the moment.

My older cousin and I were just talking about caulk the other day! I asked why he liked latex better than silicone, and he said because the latex is paintable, and silicone is not. Silicone would be for any areas with high moisture content, like outside, bathrooms, tubs, toilets, etc. If you get clear, I think you can hardly see it if it's in a thin bead.