• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Exp w CROP BURN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
And that's the other reason I'm so pissed, because she let everybody here band together and stump up the funds to pay for surgery and then comes on with "her side of the story". A day late and $500.00 to short. It's crap on a cracker.

Ginger

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
And where are our Moderators?

Ginger

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Whoa everyone!! Let's take a breath here. I certainly don't want to see everyone get a sour taste in their mouths about fundraising/helping out members/birdies in need. The Avenue is an awesome force that has come together so many times to help so many ... please don't bash/trash that wonderful part of this community.

This isn't my story to tell, but I will share a few things so everyone may understand a bit more. I didn't know any of this until things were already rolling.

First off .. Peaches is real, and is in need of care .. that's first and foremost.

The breeder is local to me, someone who actually has a very good reputation. Most people here know I'm not a "breeder fan", however, there are good breeders and I believe in this instance it was just a terrible mistake made during a very difficult time. We've all made mistakes .. we're all human.

The breeder did offer to have her vet, Dr. Scott McDonald, do the surgery and then return Peaches to her owner or C could take Peaches directly to Dr. Scott if she preferred. The breeder did feel the vet C chose was extremely pricey. C wanted to use the vet local to her, which I completely understand, as I do believe each person has a right to chose what vet they want to use. However, the breeder did offer to have Peaches taken care of with no cost to C if Peaches was taken to Dr. Scott.

I think there are many ways to look at this situation, however, Peaches is getting the care she needs. We came together here on AA and on FB to help a fellow member and her bird. Nothing "shady" going on.

I'm honest, and I'll call my own self out on this one .. I too jumped on the "bad breeder bandwagon" when I first heard the story. I know my area, and there are a lot of craptastic backyard breeders .... A LOT!! However, once I found out who breed Peaches, I had to give pause and find out a bit more.

A few of my personal opinions on this whole thing:

I do believe a person has a right to chose their vet .. and I do believe when a breeder sells a bird with issues that the breeder should compensate in some form. That being said, I use and respect Dr. Scott .. so I would have taken the bird to him ... he does offer significantly reduced rates to his local breeders and their birds.

I absolutely do not believe the breeder knowingly sold a bird with issues. It was a tragic mistake, and there were circumstances in the breeder's personal life that caused the issue. Again, we are all human, life sometimes throws us against a wall and spins our heads. I'm sure everyone can relate to life hurting us, hurting people around us, making us so crazy sometimes we drop the ball on things and mess up.

I do believe that when anyone buys/rehomes/adopts a new bird, they should at least have the funds available for a well birdie check. Granted, not everyone is prepared for emergency situations <I don't want to get into that topic> but .. they should at least have funds available for a new bird check up. In this situation, funds to even do a well bird check up weren't available .. and that does give me concern. A thorough well bird exam with testing would run anywhere from $250 - $350 .. and those funds really should have been in place. No disrespect to C, but .. not being financially prepared for a new bird is a bit of an issue for me.

I think it's up to C and her breeder to work out what is the right thing to do at this point.

Anyway .. I just want to be sure nobody here thought anything "shady/sneaky" was going on. There were perhaps some miscommunications, but that's irrelevant right now. What is relevant is Peaches is getting the care she needs, and anyone who helped with that should not feel "taken" or "used". You legitimately helped a bird who needed it. :heart:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I hear you on this Kristen but to come on here and make it seem so one sided as to the issue or what the breeder was not going to do made People jump to it and give donations. I read some of the posts that sounded as it the breeder would not do anything, would get it done at a fraction of the cost or let this baby suffer and maybe not have it done.

I think that the OP jumped everyone here through many hoops with that one side. I am sorry that those feel upset about this but you are right the bird is getting the care it needs. I feel bad for those who may feel duped into how they sprung into action only knowing one side. That just sucks. :(
This is what I mean by I think the people who donated deserve to know the whole story. It's their money, they have the right to know the circumstances behind the cause for which they donated. Anywho, sorry, I know I said I'll sign out, I have work to do and all, but procrastination... It gets me every time.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Anyway .. I just want to be sure nobody here thought anything "shady/sneaky" was going on. There were perhaps some miscommunications, but that's irrelevant right now. What is relevant is Peaches is getting the care she needs, and anyone who helped with that should not feel "taken" or "used". You legitimately helped a bird who needed it. :heart:
Merlie, I :heart: you too and you like me and Ginger and Briget don't beat around the bush! With that being said I am not saying anything shady happened. WHAT appears to have happened was the OP or "C" as you put it made the replies from the breeder to what was posted here seem as if she was out on a limb. This was miscontrued so badly that I honestly feel that the OP or "C" should apologize to those who donated their hard earned money. If this were me and thankfully it's not I would be giving People their money back. I have no issue donating, but this Breeder could have had this remedied and the OP still wanted to do her own thing.

Just not good what transpired here.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Man, I am glad I wasn't involved in this thread.

The poor OP!

This reminds me of a time when....

:rolleyes:

:(

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Man, I am glad I wasn't involved in this thread.

The poor OP!

This reminds me of a time when....

:rolleyes:

:(
Nope, this is different Merecedez. Posting the terrible turmoil and half truths is what caused this to go viral. It pulled the heartstrings of those vulnerable and compassionate for the well being of this baby.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am going to step up here and apologize to those who have known me for years here. I am not one to bash, lynch nor hate on here. I am one that speaks my mind as others do or don't. I am also one who probably will never get a Mayor of the Ave award too. That is okay, but I am who I am and speak my mind on topics. I barely argue with anyone and try to give real life instances of experiences on whatever topic I reply to.

I am off today, so here you have me. Most days there is not enough time in the day to read the new posts or stay abreast of what is going on here.

So sorry if my posts offend anyone even the OP, it's what I have read, what I have come to as a conclusion and I am sticking with it.

Caledon

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I've been trying to follow this and stay out of the discussion because everyone wants blood from the breeder. I don't blame him/her from not coming on a message board. They do not owe the world an explaination. It would be a battle, with people picking wording apart to make their point, that the breeder would never make right. This is between the breeder and the bird's owner. Calling for ruined reputations based on facts that not everyone knows is harsh and can ruin lives.

I am not new to breeders, and breeder's contracts. All my pets have been purebred and purchased from a breeder. In every contact, the breeder states that you can return the pet after x number of days if there is medical problem, for a full refund, or given a suitable replacement. In every contract it is clearly stated that the breeder is not responsible for vet bills.

I have purchased five pets from breeders, two have had issues, a kitten with giardia and a puppy with a weird growth on her tongue (which turned out to be one of two teratomas). Both times I elected to keep the pet and pay for vet treatment myself.

I don't know all the facts here but I believe the breeder tried to make it right, short of paying vet bills from a vet the owner wanted to take her bird to. If I followed this thread correctly the purchase price was refunded. I'm sure the breeder wishes she/he noticed the injury before the bird was sold so the surgery would have been performed under their care.

Im not sure what I would have done in this case, but I'm thinking I would have returned the bird and let the breeder look after the baby.

Emotions for our beloved pets of choice run strong and everyone's sense of what a breeder should do differ.

I wish this little guy well and good for the owner to somehow cover the vet costs. It's stressful for both.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

maddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Malene
If poor Peaches wont need the donation I and others made, then who gets it, and for what?
Did I just have my legs pulled or what? I sure hope that didn't happen...

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Sorry, I know that people make mistakes, I do it all the time, but when I baby's life is at stake you do the right thing and sort it out afterwards. I don't care what kind of "personal" issues you have going on. Everybody has personal issues, you can't go a friggen minute without running into one. And you can offer anything you want and say anything you want but for me the real mark and merit of person's character is what they DO. And I will beat the "YOU'VE GOT TO HAVE A FREAKIN VET FUND" drum until they lay me in the dirt. "If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet." should be running as a banner at the top of every page on this site.

Ginger

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im reading this entire thread so maybe I'll miss something.. where are the half truths?

Or do I even want to reopen the can of worms. I probably don't. But so far from what I'm reading everyone now doesn't believe the OP because of what the breeder said.

Just because someone is reputable doesn't mean they are always reputable. People start off with good interests and become reputable and then in time they change.

Maybe I'll need to read this entire thread before I offend people, but it seems everyone turned on the OP because they heard a second story which may not even be true!

This is just me, but if I sold a baby with a burnt crop as a reputable breeder, my rep would go down. I don't see how one does that. Yes we make mistakes. But to sell off a baby without checking it over? Etc? Kinda weird. And people believe this person over the OP? The OP is probably the honest person in this thread.

I don't know, like I said. I should probably continue reading this as I don't want to offend anyone and I'm sorry I I already have.

I'm shutting up now. I don't want to be drawn into this but my heart goes out for Cynthia and her conure baby.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At this point, the 911 issue has been addressed, and everything that needs to be said has been said. Therefore, I'm closing this thread. Any further issues related to the injury or veterinary care need to be resolved between the interested parties off the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.