• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Exp w CROP BURN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryChick

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cynthia
Anyone have expierence with crop burn?!? My new baby GreenCheekConure "Peaches" came home yesterday. Hatch date about Feb 14th. I am trying NOT to handle her too much as to easy her into the houshold but this morning I noticed a rough dark patch in the chest area. I have NO exp with babies (Mango is only 1 1/2 yrs old). I am pretty sure this *IS* a crop burn scab. Peaches eats just fine. Assuming this area will continue to heal are there any potential FUTURE issues?!? What could go wrong?!? I'm so worried I have a stomach ache!! No vet is open today for me to call. I did email the breeder. I tried to take a pic but it didn't come out well.
:sad9:

unicornlady7

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Christa
I don't have any experience, but prayers for your little Peaches! Is she eating and everything else alright? I would definitely get her checked by a vet as soon as you can.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
Is it possible it's some old, dried on formula? Sometimes babies can really get the formula everywhere, and it's hard to clean off their feathers. Hope it's something simple. :hug8:

CountryChick

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cynthia
I guess it could be something dried up in her feathers :confused: Definitly feels scabby tho. I have a really busy work week. I will try for an apt on Wed. Until then if anyone has had crop burn PLEASE give any input. I hope it just heals up and doesn't go featherless and never causes any issues later <sigh> :sad2:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
If it is crop burn, you need to get her into the vet ASAP. The little tiel that was found at Kristen's complex had this and died. If there is a hole internally, it will need to be surgically fixed and antibiotics prescribed.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
You can gently put water on the area to soften it and can tell better what is going on. •Crop burn scab can have a hydrogel type product put on it. •You will find it as a scar remedy or sun burn treatment. •Ask the pharmacist. •Hydrogel is a long proven wound care treatment. •Put the gel on 2 to 3 times a day. •It will keep the scab soft keeping it from itching. •It helps improve healing as well. •Definitely see what your vet has to say.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, take a some cotton or gauze and soak in warm water. Hold it against her cop to soften. See if food breaks up or if it is a scab. Can you take a pic?

CountryChick

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cynthia
I know hydro gel. Good idea... if she wont eat it!! I can't make a vet apt until Wednesday but I will call ASAP! I will try to wet the feathers to get a better pic. BRB..

Last edited:

yvette

Real Name
Yvette
that looks like a crop burn to me.
be very careful. Must be seen by a vet for sure. If that scab comes off.....could be big trouble as the skin is going to be raw underneath.

~Tiko~

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tammy
Ouch, poor baby! Hope it is nothing serious! Healing vibes sent your way! :hug8:

CountryChick

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cynthia
Breeder was emailed pics and she said she's "never seen this before". I don't doubt she didn't know when she sold Peaches to me if she was only feeding birds and then recaging them,,, IDK :( Hope she works with me through this!!!
From what I gather on google it is crop burn and will need surgical repair after scab falls off. :eek:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is definitely crop burn. She probably never looks under the feathers on the crop. Vet visit is needed so antibiotics can be administered ASAP. Might have to wear a crop bra to prevent over stretching.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some birds need no surgery. It depends on the amount of crop burn and if it leaves a fissure when the scab comes off. If the burn is all the way through you will see food leakage from the crop.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Oh my goodness, that poor babypants. She needs to get to the vet ASAP. If you can swing it tomorrow please do it. Make sure it's an avian vet. Don't wait. You don't want to lose her. Do you have a vet to do you need help finding one?

Ginger

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
That is crop burn and that is a scab. •There is currently no leakage. •Once again, hydrogel to keep the scar soft and not crack at the edges. •When seen by the vet he will let you know if surgery needed. •Not all need surgery. •This bird is older (in terns of baby) and crops do not stretch as much. •If the scab is kept moist with the hydrogel the skin underneath will have time to heal and when the scab falls off there is healed skin. •Some though will leak food if the scab is dry and falls off too soon.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't know anything about anything but that looks TERRIBLE! It's black! Or looks black to me. You just got this bird right? Did the breeder or selling party attempt any explanation?
edit: I'm sorry, by the time this posted all of this had been said. More importantly, I wish you and your baby well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.