• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Exp w CROP BURN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VickiNC

Strolling the yard
I just noticed there were two threads about this. I posted a message on the other thread, but that one didn't have photos. I've only seen crop burn in books/, but that sure looks like crop burn to me. However, as others have said, if your baby is already weaned and is eating well, the worst might be past. Not all cases require surgery -- many only require supportive care while the scab heals. I hope you can see the vet tomorrow and get good news.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If you can make it to Dr. Sakas at the Niles Animal Hospital that would be the best for this little one. Either that or making it to see Dr. Welle at U of I.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
Oh goodness...wishing you and your baby all the best! :hug8::hug8:

CountryChick

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cynthia
I just noticed there were two threads about this. I posted a message on the other thread, but that one didn't have photos. I've only seen crop burn in books/, but that sure looks like crop burn to me. However, as others have said, if your baby is already weaned and is eating well, the worst might be past. Not all cases require surgery -- many only require supportive care while the scab heals. I hope you can see the vet tomorrow and get good news.
THANK YOU! Yes, I wasn't sure where to put my issuse, either in 911 or breeder thread. I am thinking about giving Peaches back to the breeder until she heals... what do y'all think??

CountryChick

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cynthia
I don't know anything about anything but that looks TERRIBLE! It's black! Or looks black to me. You just got this bird right? Did the breeder or selling party attempt any explanation?
edit: I'm sorry, by the time this posted all of this had been said. More importantly, I wish you and your baby well.
It is a hard scab.... not like a black necrosis,,, I think. If it falls off (or she picks it) I can't handle a gapping hole!!
<heartbroken>

penguin

Avenue Veteran
I think Peaches should stay with you and you should make sure she gets care and talk to the breeder about help with the vet bills. The breeder is either incompetent because they did not catch it or unscrupulous if they did catch it and not say or do anything. That is terrible. Please take Peaches to one of the recommended vets ASAP. Poor baby:hug8:

VickiNC

Strolling the yard
THANK YOU! Yes, I wasn't sure where to put my issuse, either in 911 or breeder thread. I am thinking about giving Peaches back to the breeder until she heals... what do y'all think??
I can understand why you're thinking about returning her to the breeder, but I'd be willing to bet that a breeder who didn't even notice the crop burn (or who noticed the crop burn and sold her to you without disclosing it) won't make any special effort to help her heal.

Maybe you could at least take her to see the vet before you make a final decision.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
I am sending Peaches lots of positive thoughts!
I also hope the breeder takes responsibility in this mess.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would take Peaches to see an avian vet and see what needs to be done. None of us would want to see a gapping hole in our birds but we would treat it better than anyone else would. If the breeder did not even notice this do you think they would be excellent at taking care of it? I would see the vet and go from there. It might need attention and it might not. The breeder should pay for the bills though.

If you decide to keep her at home........ AA will always help you through any of it. :hug8:

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Definitely don't take her back. I would definitely ask for help for the medical bills though as others suggested but you are putting a lot of trust in someone if you take her back. She is better off with you dealing with it. Best of luck. :hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do not take that baby back! Crop burn dosent happen in a one time feeding! Have her looked at and let the breeder know, if they didnt already,as I am suspecting they did....I would ask for the breeder to refund some of your money or help with the medical bills since that baby came to you in that condition. I certainly hope its not serious....she is a cutie, by the way.

frankensteinflys

Strolling the yard
Anyone have expierence with crop burn?!? My new baby GreenCheekConure "Peaches" came home yesterday. Hatch date about Feb 14th. I am trying NOT to handle her too much as to easy her into the houshold but this morning I noticed a rough dark patch in the chest area. I have NO exp with babies (Mango is only 1 1/2 yrs old). I am pretty sure this *IS* a crop burn scab. Peaches eats just fine. Assuming this area will continue to heal are there any potential FUTURE issues?!? What could go wrong?!? I'm so worried I have a stomach ache!! No vet is open today for me to call. I did email the breeder. I tried to take a pic but it didn't come out well.

:sad9:

:(:(Been there. RUSH that bird to the vet. It will probably need a stitch or two (sometimes thru two layers of flesh). When the scab falls off there will be a hole and then the food will come out. The problem with crop burn is that it does not show up for a few days after the crop was actually burned. This is serious and it will not just get better. The breeder should know about this. This is an emergency. Rush the bird to an AVIAN vet. The breeder should take some responsibility...:(:(

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
I would not take her back. Crop burn happens (obviously) from the formula being to hot. If she didn't take the half a second to test the temperature of the formula, I highly doubt she'll take the time/money to get her better.

I hope peaches gets well soon!

Cyreen

How could the breeder not know? That's horrible.

Featherluv

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Stefanie
:omg: I can't believe the breeder did this! What about her other babies?? I wouldn't return her to the breeder. I hope you get her to a vet & get some answers soon! Please keep us updated. She's a doll!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yikes! I always, always double check formula before I feed (sometimes even 3 times), as well as the babies crop. I have never had a baby get crop burn, nor even seen crop burn like that until now, but that looks horrible. I hope, if this person has other babies, that they check them so no more babies go to new owners with the same problem.

I agree with the others about keeping your new baby with you, hope she makes a quick recovery, poor girl. :(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8::hug8:

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Poor baby, that is so painful looking. I would be furious.

Status
Not open for further replies.