• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eventually introducing a new bird to my U2?

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Dexter is still a baby, (seven months) but I know there will come a time where I may find him a friend. I hand fed Dexter and know he will likely begin wanting a mate around ten (I believe), and I will struggle with aggression. I really, really want myself to be his forever home, which will be very difficult if he becomes aggresive. I also want to get a second bird in general (if you know my current situation, don't worry, I'm waiting until I'm on my own). I heard it is generally encouraged to breed large parrots (as many are endangered, including the U2) and of course, wont do anything of the sort until I am properly experienced and know what I'm doing.
I know that things can end badly if the birds you introduce don't get along. if I'm saying/asking dumb things, educate me! I'm asking because I don't know what is best. Here's my question (I have two).
1) if I get Dexter a mate, is there a proper time to get her? should I wait until he is mature, or introduce them young, when Dexter is more likely to be receptive?
2) should I try to get another bird (in general, I want a timneh as my next bird) when Dexter is younger (especially if getting a mate is going to be a decade down the line sort of thing)
3)should I not get Dexter a mate at all? Would he be happy without one
4) I want to confirm that I should get another cockatoo. Would it really make Dexter happier?
Note: I am likely going to be living alone in ten years time, so Dexter would not have another human to bond with
5)should I just rehome him if his hormones are too bad (as he cannot bond with me as a mate, and her go to an experienced owner) I don't want to do that, obv.
6) could he be happy in an aviary with a mate if I can no longer handle him (I Will do my absolute best to handle him, this is if I'm out of my league) I mean, a big, walk in aviary.
If I'm asking stupid questions, please forgive. I've made no plans. I'm asking these questions largely because I don't know the answers. If I've made wrong assumptions, let me know, I want to know the right thing long before I do it. Assume that I am prepared to breed my birds (I am not know, I plan to learn)at the time this is happening, etc. I want to have an idea of what plans I need to make.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
I'm not a U2 person ( pink too person here ! ) but I'll give some feedback :)

1. I can only give my personal opinions. Don't do this with breeding in mind. Something worth mentioning- Cockatoos , particularly U2s from what I know can be aggressive towards thier mates - I think @JLcribber experienced this? Also.. Unless you'd be getting him in a breeding program or something of the sort.. I'm a bit confused on how breeding Dexter would help the endangered wild populations of U2s. All I can see is the babies going towards the pet trade? Could you elaborate? I'm sorta confused on this. I got into talking about getting a buddy for my young RB2 in my own thread and unfortunately there are a lot of ups and downs to this.

2. I wouldn't get another bird while Dexter is a baby/juvenile cockatoo. I mean no disrespect, but.. You haven't gotten to the hardest part of having a 'too yet. I'm in the same place as well- only mines one of the littler guys. if you get another bird now, you could be setting yourself up for a lot of stress in the next few years. I personally am waiting until my RB2 goes through puberty ( which is 3-6 for him- I think it's 9-12 for a U2?) before I pursue and decide on another RB2. I'm not saying to necessarily wait nine years, but waiting out a bit more to at least know what you're gonna get for a life time might be better, especially if you want to add a grey into the mix which are also emotionally complicated birds as well. No need to rush it :)
Timnehs are cool birds though!

3. Birds are flock animals. I personally believe that birds do better with other birds in regardless of species in some regard. All my birds are different sizes but they stay in the same room. They certainly enjoy each others company. I don't know about a mate because of the breeding you mentioned... But company, a 'flock' is always good. But can you handle a second 'too? That's my question, when I see your question #5.

4. Don't know. You won't know. Again actually these are things I've been thinking and talking about and it really is a mixed bag. You could get a perfect match or they could not get along. Can you deal with that? That's the conclusion I'm coming to.

5. If you ever feel as though your bird would be truly better elsewhere and its harming you, rehoming is *an* option. But ... Didn't you consider this before getting Dexter? I always considered male U2s to be some of the hardest parrots. There are so many cockatoos that get rehomed- especially during puberty... I don't meant to come across as harsh- if I am tell me- this is just sensitive for me. If you are already planning this out on your head, you might be inclined to give up the second Dexter shows aggression. Please don't do this, instead read , research, be prepared. I'd recommend socializing him and clicker training him if you haven't. Even if he does not bond to you , you can still have a relationship with him. It wouldn't be the "ideal one"... But is that all you want from Dexter? Just some thoughts...

6. Aviaries are always good, IMO. I'm planning on constructing one for my birds solely to provide a better environment for them and to take some pressure off of me. I think an aviary is a good idea regardless, or a bird room that he has free roam in.

Wishing you the best in this wild 'too ride! :) If any of this comes across mean, my apologies!

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I heard it is generally encouraged to breed large parrots (as many are endangered, including the U2) and of course, wont do anything of the sort until I am properly experienced and know what I'm doing.
That's a load of crap. This country is full of hand fed, human imprinted psychologically damaged parrots in rescues. Your breeding will do nothing but add to an already huge problem.

(in general, I want a timneh as my next bird)
Personally I don't care what you want/desire anymore because now it's what Dexter wants/needs.

I want to confirm that I should get another cockatoo. Would it really make Dexter happier?
Another bird will make Dexter happier "over time". Nothing lives happily ever after from the start. It's a journey cultivated by you. Do it well and you have happily ever after. Do it badly and you have Nightmare on Elm street.

If I'm asking stupid questions, please forgive. I've made no plans. I'm asking these questions largely because I don't know the answers.

Most of these questions are not answerable right now because adding birds is always a crap shoot. You take what comes and you work with what you've got. You've got to have courage and fortitude to make it work.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would assume your bird is hand fed/human imprinted. IMO the sooner you expose her to other "birds" the better. Try to counteract some that psychological damage.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
I would assume your bird is hand fed/human imprinted. IMO the sooner you expose her to other "birds" the better. Try to counteract some that psychological damage.
Not trying to argue with you, because I agree with you on all other points but, if OP is unsure if she can keep Dexter in the future, should she really take on another bird?

Idealistically another bird is better for him ( Dexter ) but...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I guess I'm a bit confused as to why you think you won't be able to handle him as he gets older. Am I reading that correctly? If you work with him and train him now, you really shouldn't have that much of a problem. Yes, all birds become hormonal and can be difficult at times, but that doesn't mean you can't keep him. My goffin is currently going through a hormonal phase. He's a screaming banshee at the moment but I can still handle him. And please don't breed. There are so many cockatoos out there already in need of good homes. We have a bunch at our local rescue right now.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Nevermind. I tried to ask questions without being , but I guess that's not possible. I read an article saying that umbrella cockatoos (toos in general) become very difficult with their hanfeeder at puberty. I had no intentions of immediately giving up on Dexter, this was a backup plan in case the aggression was too much and his quality of life was failing. I only added the rehoming question on the off chance that someone preferred I simply rehome him. i mentioned earlier that I had no intents on rehoming him earlier in my post. Because of these warnings about adult becoming aggressive when they go looking for a mate, I decided to never hand feed my own bird again. when I asked if it would make him happy, it was meaning if he was unhappy at the time.
That's a load of crap. This country is full of hand fed, human imprinted psychologically damaged parrots in rescues. Your breeding will do nothing but add to an already huge problem.

Personally I don't care what you want/desire anymore because now it's what Dexter wants/needs.

Another bird will make Dexter happier "over time". Nothing lives happily ever after from the start. It's a journey cultivated by you. Do it well and you have happily ever after. Do it badly and you have Nightmare on Elm street.

Most of these questions are not answerable right now because adding birds is always a crap shoot. You take what comes and you work with what you've got. You've got to have courage and fortitude to make it work.
I asked these questions because I didn't know if they were stupid or not. I wasnt claiming anything as a fact, other than the fact that I had heard it.

Now I wish I had never asked my question. I tried so hard to express that I was unsure, completely unsure, I had hoped no one would become aggressive. I know you are just protecting dexter, but you didn't need to make me feel miserable in the process. Next time I will outright beg for less aggressive answers.
I wouldn't get another bird if I thought it would make Dexter struggle. I won't rehome Dex unless his happiness depended on it. I've never seen a cockatoo going through puberty with my own eyes, I'd like to have a plan should it overwhelm me. The sources seemed to be telling me it is nearly unmanageable.

Last edited:

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
Cockatoos do become extremely difficult during puberty, and will continue to have hormones their whole life. Most parrots will to an extent.

With proper training, a good environment and a lot of prep work like @sunnysmom mentions you can get through it. It is manageable. Just really tough and you need a thick skin.

If anything in my posts rubbed the wrong way I sincerely apologize. I however didn't understand getting a bird just to rehome it when it gets difficult.

Having a plan is a great idea, I am constantly planning ahead for my cockatoo. It will pay off. I can't say I'm a cockatoo expert, I'm just a bird nut who got a RB2 last year after making the jump from a conure to a 'too. I'm sure people here can help you prep for puberty. Like we said , and you said, rehoming isn't the answer.

I'd also recommend searching some terms in AA's search bar , and look at old threads. You might find some really good advice. I've found a gold mine here of advice and info.

Is there a rescue nearby you could volunteer at? I volunteer at a parrot sanctuary and i'm around a lot of mature cockatoos & a good lot with behavioral problems and it's helped me learn what to expect from mine- and the worst I could get.

What sources tell you it is unmanageable ? Just curious .

I'm sorry you feel attacked, I really do. I apologize.

Last edited:

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Cockatoos do become extremely difficult during puberty, and will continue to have hormones their whole life. Most parrots will to an extent.

With proper training, a good environment and a lot of prep work like @sunnysmom mentions you can get through it. It is manageable. Just really tough and you need a thick skin.

If anything in my posts rubbed the wrong way I sincerely apologize. I however didn't understand getting a bird just to rehome it when it gets difficult.

Having a plan is a great idea, I am constantly planning ahead for my cockatoo. It will pay off. I can't say I'm a cockatoo expert, I'm just a bird nut who got a RB2 last year after making the jump from a conure to a 'too. I'm sure people here can help you prep for puberty. Like we said , and you said, rehoming isn't the answer.

I'd also recommend searching some terms in AA's search bar , and look at old threads. You might find some really good advice. I've found a gold mine here of advice and info.

Is there a rescue nearby you could volunteer at? I volunteer at a parrot sanctuary and i'm around a lot of mature cockatoos & a good lot with behavioral problems and it's helped me learn what to expect from mine- and the worst I could get.

What sources tell you it is unmanageable ? Just curious .

I'm sorry you feel attacked, I really do. I apologize.
It wasn't you who made me feel attacked. It was an anti-handfeeding article that said that, once a hand fed parrot hits puberty (especially the 'toos) they become very aggressive towards their hand feeder whenever around a potential mate. I read it about a week ago, I'll try to find it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It wasn't you who made me feel attacked. It was an anti-handfeeding article that said that, once a hand fed parrot hits puberty (especially the 'toos) they become very aggressive towards their hand feeder whenever around a potential mate. I read it about a week ago, I'll try to find it.

The problem is that many birds are handfed, imprinted on humans, and see the main caretaker as parent. Since instinct tells them to not mate with their parent, they rebel to find a new roost. Well, in our homes they are stuck. They can't evade the parent, (and often our body language seems like we want to mate, like petting and cuddling), they feel these urges, and it's very frustrating and confusing for them.

I went through this with my quaker Jingo, and he's the reason I'll never buy a baby again. It was about 8 months before I could get near him, and after a few years we have finally reached our new normal. That's after being dive bombed, 8 hour a day screaming, biting, etc. Work on target training, or at the least, how to "go home" to the cage without needing to be held. Work on stepping up onto a perch, too. Develop behaviors now for later use and keep practicing.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
The problem is that many birds are handfed, imprinted on humans, and see the main caretaker as parent. Since instinct tells them to not mate with their parent, they rebel to find a new roost. Well, in our homes they are stuck. They can't evade the parent, (and often our body language seems like we want to mate, like petting and cuddling), they feel these urges, and it's very frustrating and confusing for them.

I went through this with my quaker Jingo, and he's the reason I'll never buy a baby again. It was about 8 months before I could get near him, and after a few years we have finally reached our new normal. That's after being dive bombed, 8 hour a day screaming, biting, etc. Work on target training, or at the least, how to "go home" to the cage without needing to be held. Work on stepping up onto a perch, too. Develop behaviors now for later use and keep practicing.
That's why I'm never buying a a baby again. I loved the experience, but it isn't worth it. My original post was me trying to find a compromise that didn't involve rehoming him.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's why I'm never buying a a baby again. I loved the experience, but it isn't worth it. My original post was me trying to find a compromise that didn't involve rehoming him.

Thats why I gave you the advice I did.. the things you can do now to help later.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
Going off on what @Mizzely was mentioning with training ..

I don't know how to properly link but AA has a whole bunch of threads on clicker training

Clicker Training Classroom | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I highly recommend clicker training. I've had great luck with it. So much so I'm going to go and retrain my beast of a GCC with it after the success I've had with it and my RB2

EDIT: hey! I linked it right! :)

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Going off on what @Mizzely was mentioning with training ..

I don't know how to properly link but AA has a whole bunch of threads on clicker training

Clicker Training Classroom | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I highly recommend clicker training. I've had great luck with it. So much so I'm going to go and retrain my beast of a GCC with it after the success I've had with it and my RB2

EDIT: hey! I linked it right! :)
As of now, Dex only gets really excited over baby food.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Now I wish I had never asked my question. I tried so hard to express that I was unsure, completely unsure, I had hoped no one would become aggressive.
Please my dear. If I come off as aggressive I'm sorry. I am not. I just hate typing so I get right to the point. I type the way I speak.

You just need to take a deep breath and relax. You are very early in this journey. All this doubt and fear is because of the unknown. As you and Dexter grow together over the years you and he will have a pretty deep understanding of each other and know each other pretty well. By the time hormones become factor in his behaviour you'll have a pretty good handle on it. How you should handle it and what you should do. Especially because you're here now. There is no shortcut. You must make the journey like the rest of us.

Do not be your birds' cuddle buddy, lover, mate or parent. Be it's teacher, guide, mentor. Teach it to be independent. Give it flight. Earn its trust but teach it respect. When the time comes it may just choose you.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
The way I deal with the hormonal fit is fly, fly, fly! like hormonal teenagers, they need to exert themselves in a healthy way...it always works for Elvis...and then, a nice shower...;)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
The way I deal with the hormonal fit is fly, fly, fly! like hormonal teenagers, they need to exert themselves in a healthy way...it always works for Elvis...and then, a nice shower...;)
Reminds me of my teenager. She comes home from school and literally walks around our yard making laps for 30-60 minutes!:laugh:

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Please my dear. If I come off as aggressive I'm sorry. I am not. I just hate typing so I get right to the point. I type the way I speak.

You just need to take a deep breath and relax. You are very early in this journey. All this doubt and fear is because of the unknown. As you and Dexter grow together over the years you and he will have a pretty deep understanding of each other and know each other pretty well. By the time hormones become factor in his behaviour you'll have a pretty good handle on it. How you should handle it and what you should do. Especially because you're here now. There is no shortcut. You must make the journey like the rest of us.

Do not be your birds' cuddle buddy, lover, mate or parent. Be it's teacher, guide, mentor. Teach it to be independent. Give it flight. Earn its trust but teach it respect. When the time comes it may just choose you.
Okay. I do plan on letting him fly his heart out once I have my own home (most of my family are assuming he'll poop everywhere, I have to put a diaper on him just to leave my room), hopefully he'll have his own room, if not an aviary. I tend to worry about the future alot, especially with those dependent on me. Dexter is my world, I want nothing more than his happiness. If that means never getting a second bird, so be it. I'd love to rescue a bird (not purchase one like I did dexter) but Dex is already here, he needs me first. You are probably right. Once Dexter is that age, ill Most likely know him well enough. The thought of him being unhappy because of me (or at all) is upsetting for me. If getting a second cockatoo meant he could be happy, I'd do it in a heartbeat.