• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eventually introducing a new bird to my U2?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you're going to be owned by a cockatoo you're going to have to learn to get knocked around a bit and grow a little bit thicker skin. I'm training you. :hug8:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Now I wish I had never asked my question. I tried so hard to express that I was unsure, completely unsure, I had hoped no one would become aggressive. I know you are just protecting dexter, but you didn't need to make me feel miserable in the process. Next time I will outright beg for less aggressive answers.
I wouldn't get another bird if I thought it would make Dexter struggle. I won't rehome Dex unless his happiness depended on it. I've never seen a cockatoo going through puberty with my own eyes, I'd like to have a plan should it overwhelm me. The sources seemed to be telling me it is nearly unmanageable.
They don't all get like that. :mykid: Some folks have a tendency to put the fear of the gods into the mix ... The sky is falling, chariots rumble across the heavens . All this exchange of opinions can be overwhelming at times. So far so good with Dexter don't read more into it than necessary. Someday when the time and resources are in alignment, you can reconsider your plans. My advice to you is stay in the moment enjoy your bird, don't go lookin for potential issues that may or may not arise. Sometimes just worrying about this stuff can make it happen. birds are very keen on picking up ambient energy. Don't put it out there ,focus on your time with him enjoy what you have with him. Stay in the moment .

:idea: P.S. you will grow together...ENJOY your journey !

Last edited:

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
If you're going to be owned by a cockatoo you're going to have to learn to get knocked around a bit and grow a little bit thicker skin. I'm training you. :hug8:
:hug8:I do need to toughen up! I wish there was a way to slowly build up to the kinds of bites Dexter gives. I can handle dull pain, but sharp pain gets me.
They don't all get like that. :mykid: Some folks have a tendency to put the fear of the gods into the mix ... The sky is falling, chariots rumble across the heavens . All this exchange of opinions can be overwhelming at times. So far so good with Dexter don't read more into it than necessary. Someday when the time and resources are in alignment, you can reconsider your plans. My advice to you is stay in the moment enjoy your bird, don't go lookin for potential issues that may or may not arise. Sometimes just worrying about this stuff can make it happen. birds are very keen on picking up ambient energy. Don't put it out there ,focus on your time with him enjoy what you have with him. Stay in the moment .

:idea: P.S. you will grow together...ENJOY your journey !
Im Sure I will enjoy the journey.

I was very sad this morning when I thought you guys were disappointed in me. I'm glad it didn't turn out that way at the end of the day =) animals are one of the most important things to me, and it is painful to think I may cause them harm. I search for anyway to make sure they are safe and happy, so I overthink things. I see a lot of people making assumptions about animals and causing them suffering (not here, but in my every day life) and I do my best to make as few assumptions as possible. So, when I comes to the way I take care of animals, I'm very sensitive about what people say. If I feel as though someone is saying I'm doing something reckless with my animals, it feels like I was kicked in the face. I interpret things as being aggressive/angry, I'd rather be called ugly than a bad bird mom. I know I make mistakes (getting a baby bird and hand feeding it, for example) but I strive for them to only happen once.

You guys are awesome.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
know I make mistakes (getting a baby bird and hand feeding it, for example) but I strive for them to only happen once.
It's not a mistake, it' a personal choice .don't feel ashamed of that. You have the potential to right a lot of the wrongs that were done from uninformed people who decided to get a bird on a whim, by taking a proactive approach as you're doing. Keep learning and reaching out to others who share there experiences.
Oh don' feel like your the odd one. I got All my birds as babies. Never hand fed though got them after they were weaned.

Last edited:

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
@HolliDaze
I'll admit something to you.
As much as I love Val my RB2, sometimes there's this awful feeling of regret for adopting such a young bird. ( his original owners had rehomed him after 2-3 months of ownership ) I wish I had waited sometimes for an older RB2 to come along because I'm afraid of hormones too.

But I know in the end, I love my boy too much.

We're going to interpret things wrong ( both with people and with our birds) , we'll fumble , and that's totally okay.

The fact that you started this thread shows you wanted to help Dexter. You aren't a bad bird mom.

Last edited:

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
@HolliDaze
I'll admit something to you.
As much as I love Val my RB2, sometimes there's this awful feeling of regret for adopting such a young bird. ( his original owners had rehomed him after 2-3 months of ownership ) I wish I had waited sometimes for an older RB2 to come along because I'm afraid of hormones too.

But I know in the end, I love my boy too much.

We're going to interpret things wrong ( both with people and with our birds) , we'll fumble , and that's totally okay.

The fact that you started this thread shows you wanted to help Dexter. You aren't a bad bird mom.
:sadhug2: