• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Ernie Update

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Ernie has been with us 4 days now. He is staying with us while his owners work through some difficulties they have encountered.
He is 13 years old and his current owner has had him 6 years. She got him from a nail salon that had him on display in the store. He was pretty naked from stress plucking. Ernie is fully feathered except for his wings now. He steps up very well, but has no balance since he barbers his wings. I have to get used to going a little slower with him because of this. He goes straight to the floor if he gets unbalanced. Flaps those poor wings for all it is worth on the way down though!
I have put him into a larger cage I had when I first got Rhoma. His prior cage was a small parakeet sized cage and it was pretty old and worn. The larger cage will go home with him when they are ready for him. We are trying to get him on pellet and chop and taking things slow. He will taste chop if it is on my finger, but not from the bowl. Safflower Gold seed is mixed with Roudybush crumbles. He has been digging around for the fruit and veggie pieces a little. I put some fresh veggies in his cage yesterday, but it was untouched.
This morning was his most animated antics so far. He was whistling and talking and dancing to his own whistles! I got a "Hey Ernie" and I think I got a "Whatcha doing?" out of him. He did some soda sounds (his mom says it is what he does if someone opens a soda). He ate banana last night, apple, pecan and liked chewing on a piece of ice from Hubs water glass. Seemed interested in the water running in the sink, but didn't go in it.
This is a little of the personality I got this morning. I m so excited to see him coming out of his shell with us!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
He's so cute!so vocal!

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
He's so cute!so vocal!
It was exciting to watch him be so vocal this morning! Hubs is smitten with this guy. I may end up shopping to adopt another feathered friend for Hubs after Ernie goes home.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
It was exciting to watch him be so vocal this morning! Hubs is smitten with this guy. I may end up shopping to adopt another feathered friend for Hubs after Ernie goes home.
Pois are so unique!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you will wind up with a Poi in the near future.
He's a great whistler and seems to be very outgoing.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
So I took Ernie into the shower with me a bit ago. He wasn't too sure about it, but did dunk his head into the spray a few times and I held my hands so the water could spray up on him just a little. OMG! His colors are so much brighter and fluffier after his bath! He is absolutely stunningly bright now!

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
What a little sweetie :swoon:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
So I took Ernie into the shower with me a bit ago. He wasn't too sure about it, but did dunk his head into the spray a few times and I held my hands so the water could spray up on him just a little. OMG! His colors are so much brighter and fluffier after his bath! He is absolutely stunningly bright now!
WELL, update us with a brighter fluffier picture of him;):roflmao:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:omg:Nail salaon///lucky he's alive. Those are the worst fumes & the chemicals...

:heart::heart::heart::heart:
What a doll:heart:
He sounds & acts like a cockatiel.

Oh, its going to be hard giving him back...be careful.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
WELL, update us with a brighter fluffier picture of him;):roflmao:
I am cleaning and shopping and getting ready for guests. Maybe this evening. He was a little grumpy this morning, so I have let him just do as he pleases with the cage door open. He finally ate something besides junk food today! Actually ate a couple nutriberries, and seemed to enjoy them! I put a kale leaf in his cage and he tore a little apart, but not sure if he actually ate any. At least it is a step in the right direction!

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
:omg:Nail salaon///lucky he's alive. Those are the worst fumes & the chemicals...

What a doll:heart:
He sounds & acts like a cockatiel.

Oh, its going to be hard giving him back...be careful.
Hubs is already smitten. I have a feeling we will be shopping to adopt a third bird when this guy goes home!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
His green V is looking deeper now....hmmmm...maybe Ernie could be Earnestine?

What a good looking bird. Seems he/she is really soaking in all the attention.

On hubbies shoulder!!!! wow he looks mighty comfy. Don't think he's going to want to go home!

Maybe these people with problems will let Ernie stay where he can get the attention he needs?

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
How can you tell male from female? I just took their word that he was a he?
He likes sitting with Hubs. Hubs plays sennie youtube videos for him. Ernie will walk down his arm and sit on his hand to watch them. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most reliable way is with DNA sexing. However their may be some visual difference between male and female such as deepness of the "V", head shape and size and color of coverts under the tail. Posted this in another thread today but here you go: How to Determine the Sex of a Senegal Parrot | Cuteness.com

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Need a profile. Males heads tend to be larger & sort of flatter on top where as F are more rounded. Guess I wouldn;t want to be turning him over to look at his/her privates...

:rofl:

Don;t know where he picked up that whistle & heart wings...its a male cockatiel trait

Last edited:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Ernie has been here a month. He is really acclimating to our house and letting a little more of his personality out every day. He is such a character and we are loving having him here! I am even getting used to cleaning up the monster Sennie poos. I let him in the kitchen with me today while I made Harvest Bread. He was on my shoulder and kept leaning over with such interest in what I was doing. I was afraid he was going to fall head first into the batter! He talks and beeps and makes funny siren noises. Today he danced!
His owners have been given a mobile home that is about an hour from here and moved in last weekend. I know this from her FB page. When I first brought him home, she was always checking in on him and saying how much she missed him. I have not heard from her in 2 weeks. I gave her my personal phone number and my address so she could come visit anytime she wanted. I failed to get her phone number as I thought she would send it to me. I asked her to text it to me when I gave her my info. She has not called, texted or come by once. I can understand not coming by or calling since I try to keep updates on FB.

I have kept him quarantined and will continue to do so since he has not been vetted in a few years. Today was the first time he has been out of the back half of the house. It was straight to the kitchen and straight back when it was time to put the bread in the oven.

I want to get his lower beak filed down and a vet check up, but do not want to over step my bounds with someone else's fid. I can do the beak filing without much expense or worry. I think he would be much more comfortable if I had it done. She stated he had never had it done before and it was never a problem, but it seems to have grown quite a bit since he got here. Hubs and I have discussed and if she does not claim him by New Year, he will be thoroughly checked by the vet. What do y'all think?

Oh, and here is another video I took of him today. He doesn't fly since he barbers his wings, but if you are walking with him, he likes to act like he is. It is so funny! Lowers his head and flaps away like he is really going somewhere. LoL!