• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

English Budgie?

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
I really need to stop considering parrots as pets... bare with me as I try to resist these sweet faces (it'll probably stop soon enough, but I'm still riding the wave of my obsession with birbs). Anyway, I only recently found out that English budgies have a short lifespan of around "7-9 years" due to inbreeding. (I know there are some that have lived longer, so I'm considering it around 10 years.) Honestly, I really like their overall personality. They aren't as flighty as standard budgies, their voices aren't as high pitched, more docile, etc. There's one guy on hoobly who has 5-year-old English Budgies for sale. That might be able to work because I'm planning to go to college in 6 years. I don't want to bring a parrot to college because that would stress both the bird and me. Any thoughts? (I promise I won't get one if you guys disagree.)

EDIT: I made pros/cons lists for all the birbs I've been considering and the English Budgie is the only hookbill I'm considering. Sadly, linnies are off the runway for now because of how hard it is to find an old one. I could continue to look into them after college, but I'm putting them off for now. Other than that, I'm thinking about pigeons which might be ok for college since they're non-destructive, quiet and overall just a lot easier to care for than a parrot.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
, I only recently found out that English budgies have a short lifespan of around "7-9 years" due to inbreeding. (I know there are some that have lived longer, so I'm considering it around 10 years.)
There's one guy on hoobly who has 5-year-old English Budgies for sale. That might be able to work because I'm planning to go to college in 6 years. I don't want to bring a parrot to college because that would stress both the bird and me. Any thoughts?

Yea, I think that´s grim.
I suppose you are being a realist but planning the birds life and death before bringing him/her home? I don´t know.
I couldn´t... but then, we are all different :)
Good luck on you search ❤

@Lady Jane may be able to help answer your EB questions

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Yea, I think that´s grim.
I suppose you are being a realist but planning the birds life and death before bringing him/her home? I don´t know.

I know it is but I don't know what else to do...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have had only EB for many years. Now i have a young pair (2.5 yers) because i am not young. My vet told me with good nutrition and exercise they may live to 8. Parrots are not pets, rather companions. Budgies have a strong flock instinct and live happier with a cage mate. How much of your time can you give them? Do you have a vet savings for medical expenses?
If you get a 5 year old EB now there is no way to tell how long it will live. Why is this person giving up the bird? Its very rare for EB to be in multiple homes.

One gets a bird because they love birds and want the companionship the bring to your life. There are just too many variables to fit a bird in a specific number of years. Option 2?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Have you thought about fostering birds/animals?
I don´t know if that is an option for you, but it would be the best fit. To foster for a year or a few months at a time.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
I have had only EB for many years. Now i have a young pair (2.5 yers) because i am not young. My vet told me with good nutrition and exercise they may live to 8. Parrots are not pets, rather companions. Budgies have a strong flock instinct and live happier with a cage mate. How much of your time can you give them? Do you have a vet savings for medical expenses?
If you get a 5 year old EB now there is no way to tell how long it will live. Why is this person giving up the bird? Its very rare for EB to be in multiple homes.

One gets a bird because they love birds and want the companionship the bring to your life. There are just too many variables to fit a bird in a specific number of years. Option 2?
I agree with everything you just said. As far as I know, my family is financially stable enough to afford medical expenses. I can give them 2-3 hours of one on one interaction, I also want to be able to socialize him/her with the rest of my family if possible. After getting to know the bird, I'd be able to let it outside of it's cage for the hours I am home: about 5-7 hours (and more on weekends). From the pictures, it looks like the guy has several bird cages and might be some type of hobbyist breeder (or a hoarder for all I know). He has many birds from just weaned to 5 years old. I think I’m leaning towards pigeons at this point but...
Have you thought about fostering birds/animals?
I don´t know if that is an option for you, but it would be the best fit. To foster for a year or a few months at a time.
I’ve also considered fostering birds and I’m still looking into avian rescues. The ones near me are all for wild birds so they’re more of a rehabilitation center. I’d absolutely love to volunteer at one, but I’m too young. Not quite giving up yet though. I’m sure birds in need are out there somewhere.
EDIT: Many rescues need you to be there to volunteer for a while before you can fill out the fostering form.

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Being that you are planning for end of life for a bird you may get you may want to give thought to how expensive the end of life vet bills will be?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think a budgie sounds perfect for you. I got my first pair a few months ago and they are great.

If the bird is 5 and you see multiple cages, I suspect this is a breeder who is retiring him from the breeding program. So my question is: Is it a tame budgie? And if not, are you willing to put in the time to tame an older bird?

It might be easier, given your age, to get a younger bird that is tame.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This English budgie had a fatty tumour most of her adult life. "Whitey" lived to be 16 years old. 6B57AF37-EA17-41C9-94E2-49C95854144D.jpeg

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
This English budgie had a fatty tumour most of her adult life. "Whitey" lived to be 16 years old. View attachment 309782
Awwwww she’s so beautiful! I understand that English budgies lifespans can vary dramatically because of the way their ancestors were breed. If things don’t turn out the way I expect them to, I can always turn toward my grandparents (who are supportive of getting a bird).
I think a budgie sounds perfect for you. I got my first pair a few months ago and they are great.

If the bird is 5 and you see multiple cages, I suspect this is a breeder who is retiring him from the breeding program. So my question is: Is it a tame budgie? And if not, are you willing to put in the time to tame an older bird?

It might be easier, given your age, to get a younger bird that is tame.

There are 2 five year olds. One is green with a yellow head and the other is gray with a white head. Both are males and semi-tame. He told me the gray was more tame than the green. Yes, I’m willing to put time and effort into taming the bird even more.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Check out doves too. They are very pretty. @Birdbabe has a beautiful all white one.
Yea, I was looking into them before but I found out about “pigeon pants” (they’re like harnesses/diapers for pigeons and it doesn’t take them as long to get used to it as parrots). Apparently doves are too fragile to wear pigeon pants so I’m sticking to pigeons.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Please consider taking the two of them. Males can be and usually are good buddies.
That may be a good idea as well. If I were to get both, should I keep them in separate cages and slowly move them towards each other during the process of taming them?

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
That may be a good idea as well. If I were to get both, should I keep them in separate cages and slowly move them towards each other during the process of taming them?
I’m assuming they’re in separate cages now as you said the breeder has multiple cages? If so, yes... they’ll have enough change to deal with going to a new home so you at least want to let them have some aspect of their lives the same. If they have their own cage now I’d definitely keep it that way- at least in the beginning. Males are usually social with each other though, so after they get settled and you see how they get on you *may* be able to keep them together (they might prefer it!)
Again though, it’ll depend on the birds.
Good luck to you, I know you’ve been searching for a while. I really hope you find the right fit for you and your future companion, no matter what type of birb they may be ;)

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
I’m assuming they’re in separate cages now as you said the breeder has multiple cages? If so, yes... they’ll have enough change to deal with going to a new home so you at least want to let them have some aspect of their lives the same. If they have their own cage now I’d definitely keep it that way- at least in the beginning. Males are usually social with each other though, so after they get settled and you see how they get on you *may* be able to keep them together (they might prefer it!)
Again though, it’ll depend on the birds.
Good luck to you, I know you’ve been searching for a while. I really hope you find the right fit for you and your future companion, no matter what type of birb they may be ;)

Not exactly sure if they were in separate cages in the first place but I’m worried about quarantining them. Should I get one first and tame it then introduce the second? Thank you so much for your words of encouragement!! :hug8:

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Now that I think of it, getting one or two EB might be too risky because of the entire lifespan thing and college. I think pigeons are they best birbs for me as of right now. I might get a parrot later on in life but I’m gonna look at pigeon rescues right now.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Now that I think of it, getting one or two EB might be too risky because of the entire lifespan thing and college. I think pigeons are they best birbs for me as of right now. I might get a parrot later on in life but I’m gonna look at pigeon rescues right now.
Wise decision