• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Emergency vet or avian vet in am

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
so I went in to the bird room at 11 and Weeble had gotten out of her cage through the damn feeder door -I hate these things! - and had gotten on beepers cage and got the end of her toe bitten off. It was not bleeding and she was acting totally fine which shocked me. I don't know what time it happened as I had been out. Anyway, I have given her meloxicam and antibiotics and cleaned and treated the wound so I could assess it immediately. I have tried to wrap it several times with no luck so I finally stopped to give us both a rest. It isn't bleeding right now but I'm worried about her messing with it. So my dilemma is should I take her to the emergency vet to have them wrap it or just wait and take her in to the avian vet first thing? I just don't know what to do. It's 2 am here now and I feel like I should either let her rest for a bit or just go in now. The only thing is it is 30 minutes down the mountain to the e vet so if I take her there we either wait for a few hours and drive another 45 minutes to the avian vet or drive the half hour back home and turn around and go an hour 15 to the avian vet. Obviously I am not thinking clearly. Someone talk me through this.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Anyone out there?

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
So sorry she got out and that happened. Had it been bleeding before you got home? If there was minimal blood loss and she was still acting normal, I would think it would be fine to wait until morning for an Avian vet. But definitely take her first thing in the morning.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
If it's not bleeding and she seems calm and is eating and drinking fine, maybe let her sleep and take her first thing in the morning?

Have you got some locks for those feeder doors?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Just seeing this. How is Weeble doing now? In this situation since she wasn't bleeding and was acting normally I'd probably wait till the morning and take her to the regular vet.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
So sorry she got out and that happened. Had it been bleeding before you got home? If there was minimal blood loss and she was still acting normal, I would think it would be fine to wait until morning for an Avian vet. But definitely take her first thing in the morning.
Agreed.....lost of blood is the biggie and if she isn't bleeding I should think she will be ok to wait. I so feel for you-so very sorry this happened.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thinking of Weeble and hoping all goes well at the vet this morning.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Poor Weeble! With kids or animals, it always happens late, doesn't it? Hope the vet visit went okay.

:hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How is Weeble doing?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Poor Weeble...no blood and on metacam, I would wait until the morning especially if she doesn't appear to be picking at it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just saw your post. How is Weeble doing? Did you take her to the vet? Hope all is well w/ her.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I hope she is ok :hug8:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Well I a, trying to get her in now. The vet is in surgery all day but isn't in yet and lives in the same area as me so I am hoping I can meet her there and get weeble seen before the vet starts surgery. I am waiting for a call back about what time I can come.

Ok never mind they just called back. I can take her in for a brief assessment before surgery at 11 or a normal appt at 1. Going for the 1 pm appt since it's not bleeding, she's leaving it alone, and she's already gotten started on the meds. I am so thankful. My only other option was to go 2.5 hours to a vet that I already saw and was not happy with or go to a CAV that works at a dog/cat clinic that I don't know anything about.

I just can't believe how normal she is acting considering the circumstances. She lost about 1/3 of that toe. I a just sick to my stomach over this and she's sitting there alert and not acting too off. I'm sure she is exhausted. Neither of us got much sleep. I camped out on the couch with her in her hospital cage right beside me so I could check her. I was so worried I'd fall asleep and she'd mess with it and bleed to death I barely got 3 hours in. I just feel so awful. I don't know how she got out the feeder door unless it got unlocked while covering ou uncovering her. I had them stay in the bird room in their large kings aluminum travel cages because I am in the process of redoing their big cages and never use those feeder doors for anything. I think I am going to take dowels and attach hardware to it so I can screw it on the outside to keep the doors from ever opening. I can't think of any way to lock them.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
One time I had to take a small conure in about a toe. The vet was an old country vet and the only one around. IN my case he was now in town but the only bird vet available for emergency. My bird had a brake of her leg and was easily splinted and healed fine. I do remember him telling me to go watch pigeons where there is a large gathering. You will always see some without of toe, foot or partial leg. He says they do remarkably well. Weeble will do fine. If there is a grip issue use rope perches which they grip better. But, I think she will do fine....not sure how you will be though!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I just feel so awful that my baby is hurt. So much guilt. I wish I had a magic solution to keep them from wanting to kill each other. Or could understand their relationship better. For example - I separated them last night and kept weeble with me in the living room and they still called for each other until I covered them both. So I don't know if having taken beeper in was a good thing for weeble or not. She genuinely seems happier overall to have a flock member, but I think they'd kill each other if they had half a chance.

Ok I am going to try and calm down a bit while I wait and maybe even eat. I was going to make some mash for Weebs, but am now thinking I maybe shouldn't in case she has to get knocked out. Maybe I will just take some with me for after...

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
One time I had to take a small conure in about a toe. The vet was an old country vet and the only one around. IN my case he was now in town but the only bird vet available for emergency. My bird had a brake of her leg and was easily splinted and healed fine. I do remember him telling me to go watch pigeons where there is a large gathering. You will always see some without of toe, foot or partial leg. He says they do remarkably well. Weeble will do fine. If there is a grip issue use rope perches which they grip better. But, I think she will do fine....not sure how you will be though!
I know she will be fine. I may have lasting mental and emotional damage though, geez. I can't stop wondering where the toe is. Has to be in the room somewhere :( I just feel so responsible and guilty and my child, my whole heart, is missing a body part now.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I know she will be fine. I may have lasting mental and emotional damage though, geez. I can't stop wondering where the toe is. Has to be in the room somewhere :( I just feel so responsible and guilty and my child, my whole heart, is missing a body part now.

she remains beautiful. That body part is all dried and shriveled up never to be seen again. You treated her right. She will continue to be loved. :hug8: