• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Elvis Update..

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I still have my original thinking. Bob, feel free to comment. I think it was a combination of things. Starting with Elvis wanting attention and Howie not paying attention. Then hormones hit. And the nibbles became bites because Howie reacted to them. So in Elvis's mind the bites were working- he had Howie's attention. Then it became a game to Elvis. And then I think as Howie got more frustrated with Elvis, Elvis sensed that and got frustrated with Howie. My guess at least. Undoing it all is the problem. And sadly, Howie just doesn't trust Elvis anymore.
Omg! Freddy sometimes nibbles at the hairs on Joe's arm. Sometimes he gets rough and Joe puts him on his cage top when that happens. So I guess no interactions is the best way to handle that?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I still have my original thinking. Bob, feel free to comment. I think it was a combination of things. Starting with Elvis wanting attention and Howie not paying attention. Then hormones hit. And the nibbles became bites because Howie reacted to them. So in Elvis's mind the bites were working- he had Howie's attention. Then it became a game to Elvis. And then I think as Howie got more frustrated with Elvis, Elvis sensed that and got frustrated with Howie. My guess at least. Undoing it all is the problem. And sadly, Howie just doesn't trust Elvis anymore.
I believe you are correct in your entire thought.

Hopefully Howie can take this time now to, like I say, "Tie a knot in the rope and begin climbing from there" in his relationship with Elvis...Elvis is a good bird, and I know Howie can do it...:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Omg! Freddy sometimes nibbles at the hairs on Joe's arm. Sometimes he gets rough and Joe puts him on his cage top when that happens. So I guess no interactions is the best way to handle that?
@cassiesdad is probably better at answering this than me. If he's just playing and Joe doesn't want him to play like that than he shouldn't let him nibble at all. I don't think birds always understand nuances. So not at all is better than it's okay when it's not too hard. And distracting him with something else may be a good way to divert him from doing it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Does he want E to trust him again? E is so smart he may already know the answer!
I think it's the other way around. Howie not trusting Elvis. Elvis is unphased by Howie. He actually likes Howie, as weird as that sounds with the biting. Elvis was with me when Howie was in the hospital, and I had to keep taking Elvis upstairs to show him that Howie wasn't there. Elvis kept looking for him and calling for him.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Time out -which is what you're describing- is how I deal with naughtiness from our birds...it's also important not to make a big scene about the roughness...and not to use time out as a regular way to correct minor transgressions...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Milton is definitely more "chill" than Elvis. :) Although I was hoping that they would be friends.

Given enough time they would become friends. It takes them an entire season (1 year) to become completely familiar with their new friend to gain the same level of trust as it takes with us.

You nailed it. It was a quickly learned game/behaviour.

It takes very little time/effort to create real problems. Takes a long time to uncreate. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Given enough time they would become friends. It takes them an entire season (1 year) to become completely familiar with their new friend to gain the same level of trust as it takes with us.
I totally agree...their differing energy levels (Elvis is high level, Milton. lower level) would actually work together...two same level birds might have a bit more difficulty finding their "comfortable place".
It takes very little time/effort to create real problems. Takes a long time to uncreate. :)
Knowing Howie, I think he'll be able to work with Elvis to make their relationship a good one...I really do...;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I totally agree...their differing energy levels (Elvis is high level, Milton. lower level) would actually work together...two same level birds might have a bit more difficulty finding their "comfortable place".

Knowing Howie, I think he'll be able to work with Elvis to make their relationship a good one...I really do...;)
I think their only difficulty would be is that they both want to be the center of attention. LOL Perhaps, they would learn how to share the spotlight eventually. But they both have mischievous personalities and I can see the two of them wrecking complete havoc if they teamed up. LOL.

I hope Howie and Elvis work things out. The past few months have definitely been stressful. I'm hoping that once Howie is feeling better that he might be more willing to work on his relationship with Elvis.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Time out -which is what you're describing- is how I deal with naughtiness from our birds...it's also important not to make a big scene about the roughness...and not to use time out as a regular way to correct minor transgressions...
Ok...we never make a big deal out of it, but we say NO BITE, and put him on his cage top. Sometimes he goes right back to Joe and he will say NO FRED, YOU NEED A REST. We don't act like it's a punishment, just tell him he needs a rest.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...awl rwight...all da pigz in da bag....we got beeks an kno how to uze dem...

Milton da Too :umbrella2:...with guest 'too, Elvis :goffin:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Elvis took a nap on my shoulder yesterday...a first for me...and yes, he has a very cute little snore! I don't know if it was him, or maybe him breathing through his feathers...;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I was truly surprised that Elvis would nap on me. He's a very active bird...he's always doing something...just like right now...he's doing figure-eights around the room...expertly dodging the hanging "bug" inflatable...;)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
He's just trying to distract you while Milton seasons da pigz. :angelic: