• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Elvis Update..

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It's been two weeks since Elvis arrived here for vacation...probably time to let you all know how everything is going...

Elvis is adjusting very well here...adjusting to a new schedule and to us. He loves to participate in "Morning Scream"...which is exactly what it says it is...everybirdie welcoming the new day. He also is very hungry in the morning...demanding breakfast be served to him immediately upon uncovering his cage...just like Buddy. He is learning patience...just like Buddy did. ;)

Speaking of Buddy, E seems to enjoy his company. Their cages sit beside each other during the day and they watch each other. On the other hand, E does not like Milton...at all. E will display and hiss at Milty when he ses him. Milty just ignores E... so I guess there'll be no grand 'too alliance in the future.

E likes scritches...as often as he can get them...no surprise there...after all, he is a 'too. He has learned that I only give scritches when he is sitting on my arm, not when he's sitting on my shoulder. (his favorite perching spot)..he's definitely a quick learner!

He also will poke his head into the bag of cashews, grab one, then fly back to his cage to eat his prize...again, very smart of him.

E naps naps regularly the afternoon...something none of our birds do...the nap is usually started after E says, 'GOODNIGHT ELVIS" ...his indication that he's tired.

E has a later bedtime than the rest of the flock...whose bedtime is 6:30. E stays up until 8 PM...and he has "quiet time", which starts at 7:30 or so. Quiet time is usually not very quiet, though, because E like to screech during that time, which is OK. As soon as we cover him, he settles down quickly.

Elvis seems to do well with about 10 hours of sleep a night...that doesn't include the nap time in the afternoon, which is about an hour or so.

Overall, Elvis is a marshmallow...albeit a very smart and curious one...we will miss him a lot when he goes home to Michelle and Howie...:)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks for updating the E and M watchers. I wonder if E knows he is going back to his home? Do you think he would understand that if you tell him a few times?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Elvis couldn't have a better vacation spot. :) Too bad about him and Milton. I really was expecting cockatoo world domination. LOL. I'm glad he's being good for you. He is a sweet boy. I really am wondering with his naps if he is older.... I know he's at least 25 but now I'm wondering if he's significantly older than that. I know as Sunny reached his older years he increased his afternoon napping. And Elvis's favorite nap spot at our house is smushed up against my face. LoL. I miss the little fluff ball. Sigh.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks for updating the E and M watchers. I wonder if E knows he is going back to his home? Do you think he would understand that if you tell him a few times?
Unfortunately, I don't think Elvis knows that. I definitely got the hurt 'too look when I left him at Bob's. Sadly, I think Elvis has had so many homes that he probably just thinks he was passed on to his next one. I almost went to visit Elvis this past weekend but I really wasn't sure if that would be more traumatic for him or not. I know he's doing well with Bob and Kathy and I hate to interfere with that.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Elvis couldn't have a better vacation spot. :) Too bad about him and Milton. I really was expecting cockatoo world domination. LOL. I'm glad he's being good for you. He is a sweet boy. I really am wondering with his naps if he is older.... I know he's at least 25 but now I'm wondering if he's significantly older than that. I know as Sunny reached his older years he increased his afternoon napping. And Elvis's favorite nap spot at our house is smushed up against my face. LoL. I miss the little fluff ball. Sigh.
:hug8:

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Bob, you are the greatest! :toyou: I love all of your updates on your flock - permanent and visiting alike!

Unfortunately, I don't think Elvis knows that. I definitely got the hurt 'too look when I left him at Bob's. Sadly, I think Elvis has had so many homes that he probably just thinks he was passed on to his next one. I almost went to visit Elvis this past weekend but I really wasn't sure if that would be more traumatic for him or not. I know he's doing well with Bob and Kathy and I hate to interfere with that.
OMG this breaks my heart :sad5: Big hug to you and Elvis, @sunnysmom :hug4:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Bob, you are the greatest! :toyou: I love all of your updates on your flock - permanent and visiting alike!

OMG this breaks my heart :sad5: Big hug to you and Elvis, @sunnysmom :hug4:
Thanks. I actually discussed with Bob whether I should visit Elvis or not- and he said he that it might be too stressful for me, not Elvis. LOL. Leaving the little bugger was definitely a tough thing to do even though I knew he would be well cared for.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Maybe we should start a guessing game...when do you think Elvis finish his vacation?

My guess...the first weekend in June...:)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Awww....I am going on vacation this summer to visit my fiance's son and grandchildren. My son may be going with us too unless they come here. It's not until August but I am already stressing over Freddy because I won't be able to bring him with us. My friend at the pet store told me he would gladly take Freddy while we were gone, and he could hang out with Jefferson U2, again. I will probably bring him there for a weekend or two so he knows when we go away that we are coming back. It will be a nice surprise for Elvis when you take him back home, I hope some of those habits will be broken. But wow, are they smart birds.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
"'tootosterone"...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Like I think I said before, Elvis is the more "typical' Cockatoo versus Milton. Milty is just one different kind of bird...;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
"'tootosterone"...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Like I think I said before, Elvis is the more "typical' Cockatoo versus Milton. Milty is just one different kind of bird...;)
Milton is definitely more "chill" than Elvis. :) Although I was hoping that they would be friends.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton is definitely more "chill" than Elvis. :)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's entirely true...like I said...a different kind of "bird" all together!

When Milton gets rolling...look out...he's a "force of nature"...:hehe::hehe:

Elvis is more high energy than Milty...and much more "'tooish"...which isn't a bad thing by any means...;)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Freddy seems to be very low key. My friend says he's not a troublesome bird, and never was that way. That I was glad to hear, but this is the first home atmosphere he's had so we'll see.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Elvis most be getting more comfortable here. He got into a screaming match with Milton this morning (they were safely in separate rooms) and he kept beating up on his toys until just a few minutes ago.
He screamed, displayed, and raised he cute little crest at me...then I said, "Well, you're just full of it, aren't you?" (or words to that effect) E turned around, looked straight at me...and NODDED! :jawdrop1:

I few minutes later, he flew over to me and tried to cuddle against my neck...I convinced him to accept some scritches.

I like E's feisty side...;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have some ideas why, but not seeing the situation going on, it's just that... speculation on my part. @sunnysmom could enlighten you on the situation...
I still have my original thinking. Bob, feel free to comment. I think it was a combination of things. Starting with Elvis wanting attention and Howie not paying attention. Then hormones hit. And the nibbles became bites because Howie reacted to them. So in Elvis's mind the bites were working- he had Howie's attention. Then it became a game to Elvis. And then I think as Howie got more frustrated with Elvis, Elvis sensed that and got frustrated with Howie. My guess at least. Undoing it all is the problem. And sadly, Howie just doesn't trust Elvis anymore.