• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus Roll Call!

artgeek09

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
Wow! Scarlett is one BEAUTIFUL gal!

birdman78

Real Name
John
Wow! Scarlett is one BEAUTIFUL gal!
Thank you. Those were before her showers too. I guess she came from a smokers house and her feathers were all stiff and nasty. She has had 2 showers and they are silky smooth. Now that I am changing her diet, I hope will get her rest of the way beautiful.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Welcome Keith. Your ekkies are gorgeous! Please post an intro in Welcome Lane and tell us a little about yourself and them. :D

Welcome Lane

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Welcome!! :)
Are they vos? (hard to tell if there's a blue ring around the eye of the red head or not). I swear they seem familiar to me. :huh: :shrug:

ETA: NM, I *think* I figured it out, I think maybe there's a different pair with the same name, and if that's the case, then I want to guess your guys are SI, but I kinda stink at guessing, I'll look forward to the right answer. :rolleyes: :o:

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Juliet, you are a stunning redhead! :swoon:

snackies

Real Name
Rebecca
gorgeous birds! I looove ekkies, they are so beautiful. I was thinking about getting one before I decided on my sun conure! I remember seeing a wild pair of ekkies on a school trip once, the boy was very friendly and clowning around/showing off, but the girl just sat in a tree looking very suspicious of us, spending most of her time making sure she looked pretty, hehe.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Juliet is beautiful!

Matt

annie1

Walking the driveway
Real Name
manuela
1123110917.jpg Hi this is Annie ,we found her through craigslist .
her story is that someone had her for 3 years got fed up i guess or did not want to bother anymore took her back to an petstore where she sat for a long time untill that couple i got her from picked her up thinking it be fun to have one i guess. So they took her home thought they get a bird that is very tame from the start and does what a parrot susposed to do lol well she did not of course .Both are working all day and have been gone for hours so here was annie sitting in her cage again all day poor baby ,she started eating her feet and i mean literaly eating them with no skin on them arghhhhh .So they put her up for sale to comlicated for them i got her with cage :D tried everything i could find on the web nothing worked she would not quit so we went to the vet and put her in a collor .After 2 month in it her feet look good and i started to take it off during the daytime where i can keep an eye on her and put it back on in the night since thats the time when she did it .I hope that with time she will not do it again she finaly started talking and wistles and imitate smy dogs barking hahahah ....just thought i share her story .....:)

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Thank you for rescuing Annie! She is beautiful!

annie1

Walking the driveway
Real Name
manuela
thank you and after 2 month she is doing awesome and started to play with her toys and clinbes around now on her cage.:dance4:

stephwin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephanie
I’ve already posted quite a bit in this forum but I guess I never realized this thread was up here! :) Whoops. Anyway, this is Slimer, an approximately 10 year old SI (we think). My husband and I adopted him back in December from a local bird rescue who’s had him since summer 2011.

He came from a bad home situation with quite a few other birds, including 7 other Eclectus. He was in the good shape compared to the other birds and was one of the sweeter ones. It is believed he was the former owner’s personal pet, while the other birds were used for breeding and were housed in deplorable conditions. Even though the birds were all on a bad diet, they were once probably fed a really good diet because they switched over to fresh food very easily and Slimer is definitely a little piggy.

I have some doubts that he was fledged properly or at all since he hasn’t attempted to fly at all during the 4 months he has been with us, or the 6 months or so he was at the rescue. His wings are clipped at the moment and at this point we are planning on letting them grow out. Our previous bird didn’t know how to fly either and never attempted it in the 15 years we had him, so we’re used to it. :) I also have to wonder how he was treated in general because he constantly begs, even when we aren’t in the room. Sometimes I can see his reflection in our study door and he’ll just beg and beg even if he can’t see us. I’m not sure if he was weaned too early or if his previous owner just had him on her all the time, but sometimes he just seems to be lacking confidence.

He is a bit of perch potato at the moment, but we are trying to get him more active. My husband made a climbing net for him, but he mostly uses it to clean his face after eating! We also made lots of toys, but he just uses those as an excuse to avoid whatever perch they are nearby. But overall he’s made a lot of progress since we’ve gotten him and I can tell he really likes our company and just hanging out with us.

Here are some of my favorite pictures, most of which are Slimer and my husband. I’m usually the photographer. :)
Copy of P1210033.JPG

Copy of PC180183.JPG

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Adorable pics! I love how ekkies look you right in the eye. They are so expressive. Keep up all the great TLC. It does wonders and please be sure not to get lulled into a false sense of security thinking he can't fly. He may surprise you one day. :D Keep him safe outdoors.

stephwin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephanie
Yes, their faces and eyes are so expressive! We will definitely never take him outside if he's not in his travel cage. There are far too many hawks and other animals where we live. I did take him out a few weeks ago when it was warm in his travel cage and he just looked at me like "why are you doing this to me?!" So I'm not sure how much he enjoyed our trip to the backyard. :) Our long term goal is to harness train him, but he really doesn't enjoy being petted or touched so that may not be realistic.

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
Welp, I just saw this thread for the first time since I posted a couple of years ago. Those links are broken, so here are some new pics of my Ekkie babies:

Cah'ya cold chillin' (this photo went in this month's photo contest):
CahyaChillin.jpg

And Bayu, pigging out on his favorite treat, pomegranate:

IMG_0264.jpg

I love my babies so much! :heart::heart::heart: