• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Early First Molt?

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
TD will be four months old on October 1st. Is it possible that TD has begun his/her first molt already? I've been finding more feathers, a lot more feathers, in the bottom of the cage the last two days.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Macawnutz is the feather expert, but I can tell you this much. You should look at the root end of the feathers and see if they are dry or if they look like they have some blood or fleshy material on them. If they are not dry, he may be plucking. Try to take some pictures of the molted feathers and post them.

Not to scare the wits out of you, but a new member just posted that she has a baby Timmeh that has PBFD. Be aware and read up on PBFD. Urgent - PBFD? HELP!!! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Every picture I take of a feather or feathers won't upload. I don't understand. I've posted many pics of the whole bird so why can't I post one of a feather?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Take a look at the size of the picture. I'm pretty sure there is a size limitation. Put the camera on 640 x 3?? pixels and I know it will be small enough.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
A cockatiels first molt can be anywhere from 6-12 months, but five months isn't uncommon. I would imagine four months isn't unheard of either, since it all depends on the bird. Molts usually start with some small, downy feathers, and sometimes there can be so many, you wonder how they have any left! The bigger feathers molt last, and are done symmetrically. Also, not all feathers will be molted out in a single molt. It could also be the time of year, because Fall is a common time for a mot. I hope you can figure out the pictures, so experienced members can look to see if the feathers look normal!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
From my experience breeding cockatiels I have found that they can begin moulting from 4 months old but usually start around 6 on average. I wouldn't be too alarmed!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hooray - you did it. Now there is not excuse for not posting lots of pictures.
Yeah, those look like normally molted feathers. Be sure to save them, you'll love having them around.

I traveled with my birds in my RV for 6 months of the years for about 9 years. They loved it and loved when we were driving down the road. I loved it too and just wish I hadn't gotten so darned old.

Hank on the cage (no Jasper in the picture) with the RV parked in my driveway. Before I remodeled the inside.

IMG_0687.JPG

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Those are molting, not many birds pluck large feathers. ;)

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Be sure to save them, you'll love having them around.
I've saved every feather from TD and from Miyetti last year. I saw a diy toy you can make from your bird's feathers I might try.
I traveled with my birds in my RV for 6 months of the years for about 9 years
Thank you @Hankmacaw . I have been feeling like I am not giving TD a good home bcuz of our traveling lifestyle. I've heard so much about the stress on a bird that traveling can cause. I've even considered if it would be better for TD to be with someone else... but I love TD so much. I can barely stand the thought of being without him/her. And TD is such a happy, good natured creature. He/she is always whistling, talking, laughing. Of course, I wouldn't hesitate to do what was best for TD, if I believed it to be best. It's good to know that other birds have happily traveled with their slaves!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Molting. And such pretty feathers. :) I know a couple of people that will paint bird portraits on the larger feathers. I keep meaning to have it done with one of the ones I kept from Sunny.