• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent PBFD? HELP!!!

Michelle Yoo

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle Yoo
I'm brand new here but hoping someone can help. My 7 yr old son has a Timneh African Grey which he loves more than anything. He wanted one for a year, learned everything he could about them and we finally got him "Timmy" as a birthday present. He absolutely loves this bird, his entire world revolves around it. We just found out it has PBFD which we're told is fatal.

I'm looking for some clarification and desperately hoping there's some option I'm not aware of. We took him to UW-Madison Vet School, the vet there says he's severely anemic and has no white blood cells. He's got a few missing feathers and some green on the side of his beak. He's still eating and drinking but is chirping really quiet instead of talking.

The vet first told me it's fatal, but then said only about 90% and we could do antibiotics and pain meds and hope he pulls through. But then started talking about "buying time to say goodbye". Internet is confusing me too. Is there any chance of longterm survival/cure?

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My understanding is that it effects each bird somewhat differently and there are some, I assume rare, cases of birds that can go on and live a decent quality of the life with it. I'm afraid your case doesn't sound good. If you like and trust your vet I would relie on what your vet says. I'm very sorry I wish there was something more I could say. My best advice would be to trust your gut on when you think he no longer has a quality of life worth living. Again I'm very sorry :(

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh I forgot to mention that I'm afraid there is no cure for it. PBFD is a strange and sad disease. As far as I know no one is sure how is passed on from one bird to the next. It can crippled one bird and in a other can hardly show any signs. It's has baffled experts.

One tricky thing is last I've heard you need necropsy for to be diagnosed 100%. That might have change but I've heard of anything new. I know of one case were it was highly suspected of PBFD but after the necropsy it turn out to be something else. I'd be sure to get a necropsy just in case when/if you put him down.

I am very sorry for your situation. I'm no expert just talking from personal experience. But there are others here who can give you so good advice as well. Please keep us updated

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so very sorry your bird got this diagnosis.
:sadhug2:
I know others will chime in who know more about this disease.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I've been trying to find a good resource for information for you. Turns out I was wrong when it comes to necropsy. You can detect the virus in some tests. Thou in some acute form of the disease a necropsy is required. There is a lot of information out there but of it is rather confusing. Anyway the best most detailed article I could find was this.
Psittacine Beak & Feather Disease It's long and older but I hope it helps you.

What's most concerning to me about your case is how young your Timmy is. Unfortunately younger birds don't fare well with the disease. From the article "The virus prefers dividing cells, and as such will attack tissues of young birds, and those tissues that are growing rapidly or are replaced frequently." That and fact his immune system hasn't completely developed will make this an uphill battle.

I hate that it seems so negative. I do wish you all the best though.
:sadhug2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please do not bring any other birds in your home until everything has been cleaned with F10. This must be devastating to you and your son. Where did you get the bird from?

@Hankmacaw

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Terribly sorry to hear this :sad4: Some birds can live a relatively normal and carefree life showing no or little symptoms but the disease is known for being fatal with no cure. Hopefully you will get more advice from people who may have personally dealt with the disease themselves. Fingers and toes crossed for you and your son. Such a shame :sad11:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Do you remember the name of the vet you saw at the UW? I'm stunned that anyone would tell you to put the bird down unless he's really far gone. I have no first hand experience with PBFD but I do use the UW a lot! They have several special species vets there so I would ask to talk to a few of them and make sure that you are making the best decision possible. How is your bird acting? Does he seem uncomfortable or sick in any way? Can you share pictures with us. I'm so sorry that you find yourself in this position. It's a horrible disease to deal with and ultimately fatal but many birds live a long time with it before ultimately lose their battle with it. I know you have to have your pet's best interest at hand, but I would definitely talk to the vets more about what can be done and the quality of life that this little one has. As for taking another bird in, I'd also talk to the vets about what you have to do in order to get rid of PBFD in your house. That's a huge problem to undertake as the disease can live without a host for quite a while and is really hard to kill.