• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog "rescue" rant

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Seeing all the people there at the shelter are working there, THEY should not have any dogs in the facility and should shut down with that philosophy
Just because you work there doesn't mean you can adopt there. Why do you think the shelter is always full. They deny applications from people who actually work I know a few people denied and the reason being the dog would be left alone for more than 2 hours

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I get very weary of people painting ANY group with a broad brush.

I'll just add this: there are nutters in every single walk of life. There are rescue nutters and breeder nutters and CL rehome nutters and shelter nutters and.....you get the point. No community or group is immune from having some real craptastically crazy people in their midst. You're going to run into them and sometimes they are going to get in your way, but the best thing to do is just move on. Chalk up their annoying interference to their own peculiar brand of personal crazy and go and find the non-nutter version that you can actually work with.

ClementinesMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Liz Goodman
I had to draw a little picture to help show how knitpicky the rescue was with me. This is not to scale, and I am certainly not an artist. I wanted to rescue a dog, and I have a fenced in backyard. I personally do think a fenced in yard is important, but certainly shouldn't be a dealbreaker, especially not for an experienced owner. So anyway, we have a fenced in backyard. Because our yard has been leveled and other neighborhood yards aren't, we have a raised flower bed with a retaining wall around it. It's the brown shape. We also have a backyard pool, and a picket fence around that. Now, technically, the picket fence only went as far as the retaining wall, so a dog could jump up into the flower bed, scramble through the bushes, and get into the pool area. The rescue determined that this was a drowning risk for a dog, and wouldn't let us rescue a dog (for a $200 rescue fee) without fixing it. I had really fallen in love with this dog, so I spent over $400 having four more feet of fence installed. It shouldn't have been a lot, but it was a somewhat steep hill, and they had to install cement footers and all that. The hilarious part is that the dog is terrified of the pool and refuses to go ANYWHERE near it... but on the rare occasions that she wants to get in, she can squeeze through the spot where the main fence and the pool fence meet (the red x).

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
I have a fenced back yard but they said it was a 5 foot chain link fence and they only allow wood fences as dog can climb. I have have some hedges and flower beds and was told the brink edging around the flower beds are dangerous as could cause a broken leg. I told them my daughter's dog never had a problem. My daughter, for a Christmas present, has decided I can keep her 4 year old mini aussie, who has lived here most all her life.

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I think you don't really need a fence so long as the owners are careful and willing to supervise the dog while its out. I had a neighbor who had a pit mix that jumped a 7 foot wood fence to get to my yard to attack my chickens in the middle of the night. She broke the small chicken door and grabbed one of my hens. Luckily the hen was only tossed around and lost a feather or two. No serious injuries. That's proof that a fence doesn't mean anything.

As of adopting. I recommend a greyhound as well. Do you have any ex racer rescue organizations near you? I think they are more lenient. At last the ones in my area are. Greys are wonderful dogs. I had one growing up. Not an ex racer but a well taken care of hunting dog. She was wonderful.