• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog "rescue" rant

GCChris

Walking the driveway
So we've been looking into adopting another dog. I wanted to do right by homeless pets and adopt a "rescue dog" and have been looking on petfinder.com, and found a few pups that would have been perfect for us. But I'm starting to realize many "rescuers" and "fosters" are more like people who just bought a dog from the shelter to re-sell. Or they already have given the dog a perfect home, and find any possible reason to deny adopting it to someone. The MOST FRUSTRATING issue for me is the "must have fenced yard" rule. No matter that I explain I want a dog to go for long walks, hikes and play time. No matter that I already have a VERY high energy dog who we keep satisfied. No matter that many people with yards just open the door a couple times a day to let the dog there to pee, or leave it out there all the time. No they don't care, they just want to know if you have a fence, and if not, well its "non-negotiable". Sorry but that's ^*@(! stupid. If these dogs truly need "rescuing" they shouldn't be so damn picky and especially ignore all the good things you are saying and focus on that one stupid fact. I know many people with huge fenced yards who are crap dog owners, cause guess what...the dog spends all its time in that fenced yard, never goes for walks or gets to see the world. I think we are going to skip the "rescue" part and just find a dog on kijiji the owners are rehoming themselves before it gets into the hands of these hoard...ahem, rescuers. I'm sure most rescue groups truly just have the best interest of the dogs in mind. It just frustrates me all these people who are "fostering" a dog, in that the dog is totally happy and has all its needs met with them, but they got it with the intention of "rehoming" it...to me, that's called being an animal flipper. I just wish people wouldn't be so quick to label a dog a "rescue dog" when it doesn't actually need "rescuing" from anything, except the person who would like a new dog from the shelter to play with as soon as possible, to then re-sell. Ugh. I also don't see how pulling a dog from a shelter into your "rescue group"...which consists of several dogs crated in their living room, getting way less time, attention, and socialization than they would have at the shelter, is a good thing. I've just become really disenchanted with the whole situation.

one more rant; there's also sexism involved. I went to look at one rescue pup, beagle, the female owner, sorry "rescue martyr" was VERY suspicious of me and hostile. I was trying to call Joseph to ask him to come down to see him, she says "so just why does your buddy need to see your dog too?" in a very sarcastic way. When I explained I'm gay an he's my partner, her whole attitude changed and she then seemed to be trying to make up for being rude. But why? Why the hostility when she thought I was a straight guy? Hmmmm....

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'm sorry you are going through such a hassle to adopt a pup. Even sorrier about the snarky attitude you got. If I were adopting anything I'd like my SO to meet or at least see what I was adopting. Way, way back in the late 70's my ex and I adopted a Lab mix puppy from a shelter in White Plains, NY - we lived in a one bedroom ground floor garden apartment as they called them in NY. Go figure.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I'm surprised the rescues aren't more negotiable. There are ways to ensure safety without a fence, though a fence is preferable. Leash, supervision etc. And you're quite active, so he/she would get exercise often. I agree on rescues/shelters being overly picky, though it's for the dogs sake, it can really work against them sometimes. :( Hope you find the right pup! Try CL if all else fails, rehomings pop up often.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I have friends that are involved with a rescue. They often foster and when they can't, they at least do home checks. The rescue does have a fenced in yard rule, but they are flexible once they meet people and can really tell that you are true to your word. My friend does roll her eyes at some of the volunteers who seem inflexible about things and some of the 'paperworky' stuff makes her nuts. They tend to be slow in getting back to people, or not looking at each application as an individual family. She had a foster beagle that was advertised as having separation anxiety and needing someone who was home all day, but the dog is actually fine as long as there is another dog for her to hang out with. It took weeks to get that cleared up on the dog's biography, and as soon as the change went out, a great family came along.

I'm on a couple of 'missing dog' sites on FB, and I am always struck by how many are dogs that were just brought home from a rescue situation and have bolted. I think the rescues do really want the best. Many people are volunteers who have real jobs in addition to the work they do with the rescue, and having clear rules probably makes things easier. Remember, they don't know you from Adam. I think your best bet is to develop a relationship with a specific rescue and a specific person. Once you aren't a complete stranger, they can perhaps bend their rules.

I feel the same way about parrot rescues. We called the local rescue - the one that was featured in that PBS special, and the restrictions they had were out of control in my opinion. They wanted someone who didn't have dogs or cats and had someone who either worked at home or didn't work. Never mind that we already had happy, well-adjusted birds. Oh well, we got 3 second-hand birds without going through a rescue.....

Chihuahua

i pulled two dogs from a high kill shelter and i found one a home for significantly less than the adoption price at the county shelter that i got her from 6 months after i got her and transferred the other to a safe rescue... you call that flipping. really?

GCChris

Walking the driveway
Sorry I should have made an mention about high-kill shelters. We don't seem to have many of those around here (or at least they don't admit it). My beef is with people claiming they "rescued" a dog when in reality it was just fine. If the dog is about to be euthanized, then yes, you rescued it. If it was at a no-kill shelter, with caring staff, training and socialization programs, etc.. then it bothers me when someone adopts it, calls it a "rescue" and sells it themselves while giving themselves a pat on the back. Misuse of the term 'rescue' I guess. It seems to have become a trendy term, that people are too quick to use in order to make them seem saintly. I don't believe getting a dog of CL, kijiji, or from a (no-kill, caring) shelter makes it a 'rescue dog' unless you truly saved it from a life-threatening or neglectful situation (or the shelter did before you got it).

Last edited:

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
My Jack was picked up by a high kill shelter while he was living on the streets. A rescue pulled him out of the shelter and posted him on their site via petfinder, which covered the whole east coast instead of just the Shreveport, LA area of the shelter. I adopted him through the rescue, not the shelter. I consider him a rescue. Brodie's litter was fostered by a rescue volunteer and posted on the rescue site. I also consider him a rescue. I didn't pull him out of a high-kill shelter, but I pretty much consider getting a dog out of a shelter/kennel environment with minimal human interaction, walks, toys, etc as a rescue.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Look at the amount of greys that are put down each year, in the millions. Greys are rescued or fostered but it cant be done fast enough, there are too many dogs and not enough fosters, why dont you foster a dog till it can be put with a family?

GCChris

Walking the driveway
I guess I've just had bad luck. I've tried for two dogs at two different rescue groups. The first one was the one I mentioned. After lengthy email correspondence she gave me the address to her "rescue facility". Which was her dilapidated house in a crappy neighbourhood. In her living room were 7 dogs, in crates. The city by-law limits at 2 dogs and in no way was this a "facility" she was just a severely disillusioned hoarder with an apparent chip on her shoulder about men. The second one wouldn't negotiate the no-fence-rule, also for a beagle mix. Its just really discouraging. But what bothers me most, is the online-presence these ladies project makes them out to be selfless, heroic people out saving puppies from the evils of society, and everyone buys it, sending them virtual accolades and praying for them, not realizing the truth behind it all.

GCChris

Walking the driveway
I dunno, I wouldn't feel good about fostering. Its great people do it when necessary. But the dog doesn't know its being fostered. To the dog, doesn't it just seem like they've been abandoned by another family? That's how I would feel. You can't explain to the dog "youre here temporarily and I'm doing you a favour". Sorry I know many people do it and are great about it and its really a good thing but I don't think I could have a dog live with me without considering it 'mine' y'know?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My youngest son's BF's family adopted a greyhound - very quiet and very much a couch potato. The thing they discovered was that, because they aren't raised in a house, their dog was clueless about steps, stairs and the things that we take for granted with our four legged critters. Whenever I've seen a greyhound being walked and stopped to talk to the owners, the dogs would just lie down and (literally) take a nap. But my understanding is also that if they see something like a squirrel running in front of them they can take off light a lightning bolt.

As greys4u said, would you consider a greyhound?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry I should have made an mention about high-kill shelters. We don't seem to have many of those around here (or at least they don't admit it). My beef is with people claiming they "rescued" a dog when in reality it was just fine. If the dog is about to be euthanized, then yes, you rescued it. If it was at a no-kill shelter, with caring staff, training and socialization programs, etc.. then it bothers me when someone adopts it, calls it a "rescue" and sells it themselves while giving themselves a pat on the back. Misuse of the term 'rescue' I guess. It seems to have become a trendy term, that people are too quick to use in order to make them seem saintly. I don't believe getting a dog of CL, kijiji, or from a (no-kill, caring) shelter makes it a 'rescue dog' unless you truly saved it from a life-threatening or neglectful situation (or the shelter did before you got it).
You'll find not everyone believes as you do...nor has all the same caveats for the use of a word...and it's alright. <breathe> :)

I've always been of the mindset that it really makes no never mind what label or word a person uses to describe something. It's a personal choice. My birds are rescues; I don't owe anyone an explanation as to why they're rescues, nor do I worry if my choice to use that word lives up to anothers standards.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Exactly.

The problem that has been created with all the people throwing the 'rescue' word around is these AR people use it against us which gives them more ammunition to get their laws passed and to take away our right to own our birds or any animal.

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
I myself also have had a negative experience with dog rescues. I know they are trying to find the best homes possible, but the guidelines are sometimes over kill to me. They want someone home 24/7, perfectly clean house 24/7, no other pets, etc. Just seems if they could be a little more negotiable, they would be able to find home easier.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I would like to add what @sandrak said. A grey never had a puppyhood, they are culled and the ones that make it are 18 mos old when they are trained for the track.
We had a rescue grey that was so funny, she was crossed eyed and loved for me to take pictures of her. One day I got her one of those things that girls put in their hair, they have ribbons, tule, etc That night she was on the sofa and when she saw me she sat straight up. I put the hair ornament on her head and started taking pictures. It was so funny, if I can find the pic I'll post it.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I know someone who fosters dogs once in a while. One time when she was fostering, she found a perspective loving home for a pitull puppy she was taking care of.

When she told the owner of the rescue she thinks she found a good home, the owner of the rescue said she didn't want the dog going to that home because the people were not married.

I thought that was crazy

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
it takes all kinds........

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I myself also have had a negative experience with dog rescues. I know they are trying to find the best homes possible, but the guidelines are sometimes over kill to me. They want someone home 24/7, perfectly clean house 24/7, no other pets, etc. Just seems if they could be a little more negotiable, they would be able to find home easier.
I would disagree with the comment that all of them are trying to find the best homes. I've personally volunteered at some shelters where staff could have cared less about the animals, no matter how they tried to make it seem. I'll never adopt from there again, but in the end it's still the animals that lose.

@GCChris I hope you find another great dog regardless of your struggles. I also find the fence requirement a bit ridiculous, as there are plenty of viable options.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Here are 2 ridiculous adoption rules my local shelter has
1) if you work you will be denied adoption.
2) if the dog is over 15 lbs your not allowed to have kids as the dog *may* knock them over on accident.
I do absolutely nothing to support this shelter because if they truly wanted homes for their animals they wouldn't make these stupid rules. I do however support the shelter in the next County over.