• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does your Grey Sleep?

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Does your Grey dream of electric sheep? How do they sleep? I don’t know if it is unusual or not but I’m beginning to think it is. Sif wants to sleep with me whether it’s a short nap or a long night. Her most favorite position is to lay against my neck and tuck as much of her body as possible under my chin. Almost like I’m her momma bird tucking my head and neck over her. Has anyone else experienced that and/or how do your fids sleep? :goodnight2:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kamara for sure wouldn't fall asleep in the crook of my neck, but that's Aurélie's favourite spot to nap. :xflove: Taco squashes himself between my arm and side, and Kraz makes a cozy little nest in my hair and falls sound asleep on the top of my head. :lol:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Lol....they like to borrow next to you...like here in couch and it's snooze time for him!!! IMG_20190317_221245.jpg IMG_20190317_221206.jpg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I will just add that never allow your bird to sleep with you on the couch or in the bed. Not even for a small napkin.
Yes it's cute, but for their safety let them sleep in their cages or playstands.
So many birds have died because to many humans thought it was cute.
And imagine the pain when you woke up and find your bird dead, and the reason for that is you.

Both my girls and I take napkins, I'm on the couch, and they are on the backrest/backboard. That is cute and safe! :)
If they are on the cough with me I make sure that I am 100% awake.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I will just add that never allow your bird to sleep with you on the couch or in the bed. Not even for a small napkin.
Yes it's cute, but for their safety let them sleep in their cages or playstands.
So many birds have died because to many humans thought it was cute.
And imagine the pain when you woke up and find your bird dead, and the reason for that is you.

Both my girls and I take napkins, I'm on the couch, and they are on the backrest/backboard. That is cute and safe! :)
If they are on the cough with me I make sure that I am 100% awake.
Nicely said....mine sleep next to me on couch every night, cuddle between me and side of couch......I never sleep when they are by me, I'm watching the tube. They been doing it for years. My military macaw as would actually fall asleep on my chest, laying on its back and feet sticking up...was a funny guy... My buddy. Was just a couple weeks of turning 69 when he passed. My senny liked climbing inside my shirt and napping, but one time bit my boob.!! For a man, that still hurts like heck!!! Leary now of him doing that. My zon, sits on my shoulder and pressed her body against my face, then doses off. Twinkie our white budgie likes to bury herself in my wife's hair!! But, if I nap my birds go to their perches. My birds have cages, none of my birds are caged...their free to roam house. In a 3040 square foot house, they have their own 13 x14 bedroom as the main bird room. A screened porches with perches to view outside, a screened gazebo outside they can sit on perches, and enjoy the outdoors. In the house they have a perch in nearly every room of house. Including the bath room. Shower perch. Table top perch on kitchen island to watch us make their "yum yum" as my Zon calls it.
I've had people say things like, umm do think think you have enough perches " ...."obsessed with your birds much? " truth be told, yes I am..they deserve it!!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Does your Grey dream of electric sheep? How do they sleep? I don’t know if it is unusual or not but I’m beginning to think it is. Sif wants to sleep with me whether it’s a short nap or a long night. Her most favorite position is to lay against my neck and tuck as much of her body as possible under my chin. Almost like I’m her momma bird tucking my head and neck over her. Has anyone else experienced that and/or how do your fids sleep? :goodnight2:
oh yea! Absolutely... Electric sheep? That's a first I've ever heard that one. My grey? I think he dreams of being surrounded by a 1000 female greys...or perhaps getting award for catching mouse...lol !!

Kodigirl210

I appreciate people have strong feelings about certain things & I can even understand the concern. However my concern is making sure my fid has the best life possible. So no offense given & none taken - I will continue to do what’s best for my family just as you do what’s best for yours.

Also, please, if you aren’t interested in posting on the OP topic feel free to skip it, block it or pm. Much appreciated! :D

Kodigirl210

ah to be honest I borrowed that from a Ray Bradbury short story. It’s about life in the future where AI’s are indistinguishable from humans - just as many of our fellow parronts don’t distinguish between their fids and kids ;)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Have you ever tried this.....in our bathroom we have this triple mirror above vanity, when you open the sides, it looks like a thousand identical parrots looking at your birds....the reaction...priceless!!

Kodigirl210

In our place, I just have one of those large mirrors that basically covers the wall from the edge of the countertop to the ceiling. Sif also seems disinclined to mess with her reflection either. I know she sees it occasionally but I’m not sure she trusts it. She was the only hatchling out of a clutch, so she really hasn’t “seen” other Greys per se and the only other bird she has seen in the last few months is a conure. For all I know she might think she’s a conure lol :huh::eek::joyful:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Tinker never settles down long enough when he is out to sit for long and sleep on my knee. He is not a cuddly bird.
It might have something to do with him only being just over 10 months old as well.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Kodigirl210 You are foolish not to listen to the people on this board who have witnessed many owners lose their bird to being squashed or smothered when sleeping with their bird. It makes you feel good, but it kills your bird - so you don't suffer any consequences.

"I have the heartbreaking results of the necropsy:

Zoe died from heart failure due to severe asthma. The most likely cause was pulmonary hypersensitivity from breathing African Grey dust. She was otherwise completely healthy.

I was warned repeatedly by people on this board that macaws and dusty birds do not mix, but I chose not to listen, and Zoe paid the price. Kevin, I remember your warning like it was yesterday ("how would you feel if..." ) Your words were prophecy. If nothing else comes from this, perhaps it will underline this important lesson for people in the bird-keeping community once and for all.

Obviously, this has deep implications for my other macaws (especially Elvis).

And, it turns out that I have not only lost Zoe, but Keene as well. Since I have no place to sequester her from the macs here, I must try to find her another suitable home. I hope that the AA community will lend their help and support during this difficult time. :sad1:"

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Kodigirl210 You are foolish not to listen to the people on this board who have witnessed many owners lose their bird to being squashed or smothered when sleeping with their bird. It makes you feel good, but it kills your bird - so you don't suffer any consequences.

"I have the heartbreaking results of the necropsy:

Zoe died from heart failure due to severe asthma. The most likely cause was pulmonary hypersensitivity from breathing African Grey dust. She was otherwise completely healthy.

I was warned repeatedly by people on this board that macaws and dusty birds do not mix, but I chose not to listen, and Zoe paid the price. Kevin, I remember your warning like it was yesterday ("how would you feel if..." ) Your words were prophecy. If nothing else comes from this, perhaps it will underline this important lesson for people in the bird-keeping community once and for all.

Obviously, this has deep implications for my other macaws (especially Elvis).

And, it turns out that I have not only lost Zoe, but Keene as well. Since I have no place to sequester her from the macs here, I must try to find her another suitable home. I hope that the AA community will lend their help and support during this difficult time. :sad1:"
Hey hank sorry for zoe and keene, it's never an easy thing to go thru.
I never fall asleep with my birds on me or around me....I'm always aware of their where abouts, and yes they will cuddle up next to me on sofa during tv time...cuddling between pillow and my rump...but always alert to them, and it's usually just a short while....
I have always stressed the ultimate importance of air purification throughout house. Grey's and cockatoo's are known dusty birds. Having more than one purifier in house is a must have! I have 5. Especially one large one in main bird room. It's no joke that breathing problems tops the list of health problems for birds.
I hope people take your advice because, it's the true fact!!! Pulmonary hypersensitivity is no joke people....affects more birds than you know.

Kodigirl210

@BertAllen - or maybe it’s because he’s a boy lol! Sif is only 6-months and she is like velcro lol. Recall training has been pretty easy because she wants to be with me. It’s a little harder training her to stay on the perch than off lol :smuggrin:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Hankmacaw - again please skip, block or pm. Courtesy counts. You don’t like the thread then don’t post. Thanks much!!

Sorry it doesn't work that way. This is a public forum and anyone can respond to your post. I don't really care whether you liked it or not - it's the birds that count when it comes between their safety and "courtesy".

PS -I have to laugh at you for trying to tell me and @Eloy what and how to say anything. That's not so rude as it is just plain old arrogant and egotistical.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
@Hankmacaw - again please skip, block or pm. Courtesy counts. You don’t like the thread then don’t post. Thanks much!!
This is a forum. Hank can post where ever he wants. I f you don't like his comment, don't respond. Just like you shouldn't say things that people will disagree with in a conversation if you don't want a debate, you shouldn't post on the forums if you aren't willing to find people who disagree with you. If you have a problem with people disagreeing, make your own forum.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
This is a forum. Hank can post where ever he wants. I f you don't like his comment, don't respond. Just like you shouldn't say things that people will disagree with in a conversation if you don't want a debate, you shouldn't post on the forums if you aren't willing to find people who disagree with you. If you have a problem with people disagreeing, make your own forum.

No, but you should be able to gently steer the topic back on track when you see it about ready to fly off the rails.

Lets not act like the hawk who has to tag another one to jump in.

Last edited:

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
No, but you should be able to gently steer the topic back on track when you see it about ready to fly off the rails.

Lets not act like the hawk who has to tag another one to jump in.

Good point.

I've lost pets (not birds, but a mouse I was handfeeding ( waking up every two hours round the clock is exhausting)) to falling asleep while holding them. There's been a few times where I've nodded off (on accident) in Dexter's room. I have bad insomnia, so it's not uncommon for me to stay up for 48 hours, only to find myself falling asleep for 20minutes to four hours during the day. He's taken to jumping on my head and nibbling on my ears when he sees me shut my eyes. And trust me, He's definitely big enough to scare me awake lol.

ever since Dexter was old enough to sleep in his cage, I've seen him sleep once. There's been a few times where I've needed to get into his room at 2 am, and he looks at me like he's been awake this whole time, not like he was asleep at all. Eyes wide, watching me, no matter how gently or slowly I open that door or what time I did it. My bird friends and i have a running joke that he doesn't sleep at all