• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does your Grey Sleep?

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
In our place, I just have one of those large mirrors that basically covers the wall from the edge of the countertop to the ceiling. Sif also seems disinclined to mess with her reflection either. I know she sees it occasionally but I’m not sure she trusts it. She was the only hatchling out of a clutch, so she really hasn’t “seen” other Greys per se and the only other bird she has seen in the last few months is a conure. For all I know she might think she’s a conure lol :huh::eek::joyful:
My grey must think he's a bat....always hanging upside down from something..usually his swing, and screaming..I'll ask.. "Hey greyson, what the heck you doing???" He mutters something under his breath. ...maybe that he thinks he's a bat, or that I'm incredibly funny looking upside down to him.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Does your Grey dream of electric sheep? How do they sleep? I don’t know if it is unusual or not but I’m beginning to think it is. Sif wants to sleep with me whether it’s a short nap or a long night. Her most favorite position is to lay against my neck and tuck as much of her body as possible under my chin. Almost like I’m her momma bird tucking my head and neck over her. Has anyone else experienced that and/or how do your fids sleep? :goodnight2:
Does my grey sleep? My terrorist African grey probably dreams of 72 virgins!
Lol!!!!! He actually sleeps where he wants. Sometimes in his hut in cage, sometimes on his large ring above his cage. Sometimes on back of couch by dog.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Sif wants to sleep with me whether it’s a short nap or a long night. Her most favorite position is to lay against my neck and tuck as much of her body as possible under my chin.
However my concern is making sure my fid has the best life possible.
No it is not! Your concern is only egoistic.
And this post just prove it:
Hahah it’s all good. I am only looking at posts that mean things to me. :heart:
So when I and Mary Lynn told you how dangerous this is:
I will just add that never allow your bird to sleep with you on the couch or in the bed. Not even for a small napkin.
Yes it's cute, but for their safety let them sleep in their cages or playstands.
So many birds have died because to many humans thought it was cute.
And imagine the pain when you woke up and find your bird dead, and the reason for that is you.
You are foolish not to listen to the people on this board who have witnessed many owners lose their bird to being squashed or smothered when sleeping with their bird. It makes you feel good, but it kills your bird - so you don't suffer any consequences.
You posted this:
You don’t like the thread then don’t post. Thanks much!!
My advice and post was going to save your bird for not being dead because you killed it, did not mean things to you?
What a bad and egoistic attitude..

This is a public forum and anyone can respond to your post. I don't really care whether you liked it or not - it's the birds that count when it comes between their safety and "courtesy".
Always! ♥♥♥
It is always the animals safety that comes first. If that can save a bird or two, people can think whatever they want of me.
I don't care about people with bad attitude that thinks that they give their bird "the best life possible" but at the same time don't appreciate when someone (read: Me) is wanted to spare them the feeling of having kill their bird in their sleep.
Courtesy counts
Yes it does! But not for you? All I can read is that you are rude again and again..
Just like you shouldn't say things that people will disagree with in a conversation if you don't want a debate, you shouldn't post on the forums if you aren't willing to find people who disagree with you. If you have a problem with people disagreeing, make your own forum.
Amen to that!

I will end this with:
I always are fast to give advice when it comes to animals safety. When I post things like this to other people their reactions are:
I didn't thought of that. Thank you for saving my baby!
I didn't know that, thanks for explaining that to me.
I had no idea that was so dangerous, thanks for telling me. e.t.c
Your answer:
Also, please, if you aren’t interested in posting on the OP topic feel free to skip it, block it or pm. Much appreciated!
I'm so sorry Sif, but I did try. :shakehead:

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco and are don't know each other well enough to start sleeping together, I'm not that kind of girl! LOL

I wouldn't sleep with any pet. I was terrified when my colicky daughter would only sleep if I patted her while trying to get her to sleep on my chest. I didn't sleep for the first 6 weeks.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Amen to that!

I will end this with:
I always are fast to give advice when it comes to animals safety. When I post things like this to other people their reactions are:
I didn't thought of that. Thank you for saving my baby!
I didn't know that, thanks for explaining that to me.
I had no idea that was so dangerous, thanks for telling me. e.t.c
Your answer:
My Husbands Granddaughter, smothered their Sun Conure , She fell asleep and had rolled over on the bird. The mother used to let her sleep with the bird.
:sad1:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I just can't imagine falling asleep with something has fragile as a bird. I would never be able to forgive myself, waking up to finding my companion dead because of me. I can't let my thoughts even go in that direction. It's just the way I feel.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I just can't imagine falling asleep with something has fragile as a bird. I would never be able to forgive myself, waking up to finding my companion dead because of me. I can't let my thoughts even go in that direction. It's just the way I feel.
Devastating to say the least. My birds don't snuggle on me to sleep , they doze off on the back of the recliner, I'm sitting in hanging-out , or they snooze on their Java Tree . If I start to nod-off while watching T.V. while they are out, I have them go back into the safety of their cage. Because even if they aren't snuggled with me they can still get into trouble or destroy things left unsupervised.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@Hankmacaw - again please skip, block or pm. Courtesy counts. You don’t like the thread then don’t post. Thanks much!!
@Kodigirl210
RESPECTFULY …
Everyone is entitled to their views/opinions. Trying to subjugate others to compliance is "not conducive for forum protocol" . Your topic is somewhat controversial, difference of opinion should be expected. If you want others to be in agreement with what you post , possibly in future posts' you could stipulate, only others in agreement with my topic reply., in order to avoid opposition .
:rolleyes:;)

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Avian Avenue Community Guidelines & Etiquette | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Please respect one another. At times discussions can evolve into "debates" and we simply ask that everyone respect others' opinions and beliefs. We are here first for the birds, their safety and well-being.

"unsafe" situations: Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions on bird care. We are here to educate and help each other do the best we can do for the birds' best interest. This may bring up discussions on topics such as birds & other pets. Over the years we have seen many of these situations become losses. As Avian Avenue is a close community of people we take thoselosses as our own. To educate and bring awareness of these potentially deadly opportunities we ask that you do not post photos of your birds indangerous situations.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Louise is a perch potato. She sleeps on a perch. Any perch, when she is tired or it is dark. I have a camera to watch occasionally while I am at work, despite all kinds of toys, she mostly sleeps. I have a playstand and travel cage in my room. She used to stay on her stand when I napped but now she flies to me. Too dangerous for everyone to have her in the bed, she charges the dogs, they run (one day one would prob stand their ground), she bites toes (mine) and poos in the bed. So while I am awake the dogs are elsewhere, she can be on her stand. If she wants to be in the bedroom under any other condition, it is in the travel cage. She seems just to like to be where I am so she is ok with the cage. She is also a no touch bird so she wouldn't sleep on my shoulder anymore.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Pat, where and what kind of camera do you use at work to watch her? Paco is a no touch bird, I hope that changes in time, however he is 19. I had an Amazon and two cats, I trained the cats to stay away and they did, for 7 years, and yes the Amazon was not afraid of them. I caught one cat on cage door (drawbridge type) and she was bobbing back and forth like a boxer with one cat. These guys are fearless!

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I use the nest camera. Nest Cam | Indoor and Outdoor Home Security Cameras | Nest
They typically offer good deals on father's day, Christmas, black friday.... It works really well. It saves the video for 24 hours for free or you can get a subscription that is pretty reasonably priced. I have been able to make clips easily of her talking. Nest was just bought out by google-I'm not thrilled by that...