• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anybody bring their bird to work?

Small farm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Braydon
Does anybody bring their bird to work with them? What feedback did you get? Did your bird ever embarrass you? Let's hear some stories!!!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I think @Fritzgerald16 used to bring her caique, but I'm not sure if she still does.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I would if I could! I work at an automotive shop and the fumes would definitely harm my babies

Hotpockets

Strolling the yard
Lol I haven't brought mine yet, I'm planning to if the boss approves, but I have brought him to various places with me when I run errands. He hasn't embarrassed me per se buy he is a stubborn monkey when he gets on my shoulder.

One time in the Petco I was trying to get him off my shoulder and back into his carrier and he kept running back and forth avoiding my hands and barking at me. I ended up corralling a worker to help me get him down, quite unsuccessfully, lol. I ended getting him down myself by "potatoing" him (picking him up like a potato.) I always tell him, "Roy, if you don't step up I'm gonna have to potato you" (which he hates) and depending on how much he's enjoying himself he'll sometimes listen. I:facepalm::hilarious:

It's also funny to see how grown up people react once they realize you've got a bird on you. This one guy was reduced to his ten year old self and kept repeating "That's so cool!" :lol:. He repeated it so often I didn't know what to say back after a while! LOL:dance4:

Small farm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Braydon
I work at a farm, garden, and pet store so hopefully when I get my baby harlequin I can bring her with me. Maybe set up a stand where she can play....... I will harness train her too (aviator) so she can go anywhere! Ah I love daydreaming..

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Where I work wouldn't be safe for him.
He traveled with me down from NJ when we moved to FL; he seemed pretty interested. He was pretty quiet in the motel that we stayed in, but that's how he is. When we went to see the vet, everyone was surprised by how calm (and quiet) he was. I'm sure he'd be happy to go more places but I have no idea where I'd take him.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Whitney my U2 use to go to work with me, I had two stores in Canada, she loved the customers. She was my marketing campaign to bring in repeat customers. :D She would run around a follow some of them because she liked them, they all enjoyed coming in a playing with her.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Our bird visits began many years ago when I brought Titan to work...a private school for special needs students. I didn't know what to expect, so my plan was just to bring Titan in the morning and have my wife take him home after a few hours.
He ended up staying all day, and visiting all the other classrooms at the facility. I took Titan out of the cage and took him around to the kids so they could get a good close up look at him. He actually sat on their shoulders.
The kids really loved the interaction with him...and he was a perfect gentlebirdie with them. Titan actually met all the teachers and administrators...even the founder of the school itself. Anyone who is familiar with Erie probably know who I'm talking about...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sort of? I work from home but none of the animals are allowed in my office for health reasons :)

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm a nurse at a hospital... So, no. But wouldn't that be fun.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am still in school, so no! But several teachers and students asked me if I was going to take my birds (one teacher even would have loved it if I took my ducks too!) to school on the evening of presentations, my project was about intelligence in parrots and I did Some tests with my fids too:D

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I work in a university and have a permit to bring my birds on campus but I only bring them if I go in to my office on a Saturday. They are a big hit and Cricket flirts with the female students - tilting his head and hanging upside down from his travel cage by one toe!

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I am still a student and don't have a job, however Grumbles often goes outside with me in his aviator harness.
Most people kinda do a double take, not expecting a bird to be on my shoulder.
Lots of children ask questions.
For example:
"Is that a bird?!" (Well no it is a dinosaur lol)
"Is it real?" (Nope it is a stuffed animal)
"Is it on a leash?!" (Close enough, but is a harness)

And my personal favorite:
"Is that a bird on a string?" :rofl:

I do get a lot of strange looks, but mostly people are just curious. I will often hold Grumbles on his back if they want to pet him, and they are amazed he does that lol.