• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anybody bring their bird to work?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Lol I haven't brought mine yet, I'm planning to if the boss approves, but I have brought him to various places with me when I run errands. He hasn't embarrassed me per se buy he is a stubborn monkey when he gets on my shoulder.

One time in the Petco I was trying to get him off my shoulder and back into his carrier and he kept running back and forth avoiding my hands and barking at me. I ended up corralling a worker to help me get him down, quite unsuccessfully, lol. I ended getting him down myself by "potatoing" him (picking him up like a potato.) I always tell him, "Roy, if you don't step up I'm gonna have to potato you" (which he hates)

@Hotpockets - I'm dying to know what / how you pick up a potato, or Roy, if he needs it! You mean just grabbing him one handed?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oops, something went wrong with my post, @Hotpockets I was asking how you pick up a potato... you mean like one-handed? LOL on Roy!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I could bring my birds, but I don't.... I have brought one bird before... but that was back when she wasn't feeling well and I was keeping a close eye on her. Brought my cat once as well, when she wasn't doing well. I don't remember the situation of why she was there, other than she was really drugged up... had brought my dog on several occasions as well just to get him out of the house more... unfortunately, all have since passed on.

My coworkers and boss *loved* my dog - in fact, my bosses (and the daughter) wish my dog could have been there's, or even wish one of their dogs was like mine. Only one person, being one of my bosses, met my cat... and she (boss) loved her (the cat) as well. A couple of coworkers and at least one of my bosses also 'met' the bird I had brought in... thought she was interesting and cute. Overall though, they were mostly interested in my dog!

Of the ones I have now, a wild caught african ringneck would *not* be happy about getting moved frequently... Then there's Casey, who'd probably freak out about being away from the rest of the flock and would probably have a fit being kept caged. (crappy warehouse.... tall ceilings, lots of stuff high up , plus some windows...) Or Charlie... who would enjoy it if he could be on me 24/7, and if he wasn't, would be screaming his head off.

There's really no place to set up a *proper* bird cage, the warehouse is kept at 50° at night, although warmed up when someone is there... and in the summer, it gets extremely hot! There's no AC in the warehouse I work in... just fans we place around the warehouse to try and keep it cool... there's also no barrier between the warehouse door and the outside world, so if I did have a bird out, that would be an issue. I do keep the door locked, but I still have coworkers and my bosses that may come and go and have their own keys to get in. Don't exactly feel comfortable bringing them in.