• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you have full flight birds

Whats your bird(s) flight status?

• yes, my bird(s) are full-flight

Votes: 548 66.0%
  • No, my bird(s) are clipped

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Some of my birds are clipped and some arent

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • Im considering full-flight but my bird(s) are currently clipped

Votes: 80 9.6%

• Total voters

lowstorm

Meeting neighbors
Mine are flighted! It is kinda scary when my GCC decides to fly when the cats are awake, and my Bengal likes to hang out anywhere high, which is where Bug likes to go. Bug came to me clipped (I hated it!!!) and just recently got his flight skills down. Recall training is next!

Buddy, my B&G came to me fully flighted, but he can't fly. What I was TOLD was that a long time ago he broke a wing, so they never bothered to clip him after that. What I THINK is that he could fly, but he's too fat from a seed diet and being cage-bound. And I don't want to push it, as the one time he freaked out and tried to fly, he went about 3 ft to the ground. It wasn't graceful in the least. (It was over a new perch, and now its his favorite sitting/chilling spot!)

Brianjaykay

Meeting neighbors
I love having mine flighted. I know that a lot of people think its good to have the bird have their wings clipped. I don't really believe in clipping my birds wings though, I got them because I wanted pets that could fly, if not I would've gotten a dog or a hamster :cool1:

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
All 6 of my birds are flighted, 5 have previously been clipped. I prefer my birds have their freedom of flight. Birds have wings for a reason, they fly, they are meant to fly. The only problem I'm concerned about is my cockatiel, Skye, had a broken wing and it healed wrong. So once the bird room is finished, he'll have an area where he can be without getting hurt. There are other reasons to clip wings, but I don't have any other issues. So my birdies can fly. ^w^

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Everyone except willow is flighted here! Willow is in the process of growing her flights so hopefully she'll be flying around soon enough

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Magpie came to me wings intact and the difference in confidence between her and poor old Titus, when he came to me as a clipped baby, is amazing.

She loves flying and its a joy to see. She loves to fly between my housemate and I. Titus, though fully flighted now is still more inclined to walk places and only really flies when startled.

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
I have the same issue with Eros. He walks places instead of flying, unless he's spooked. The only bird I have that is a confidant flying out of cage is Snowball. She'd fly room to room looking for me or my mom to perch on. When she wanted back in her cage, she'd go on her own, right back in. Since I moved in with my husband she can't do that because of the dog and cat. But that's why we are going to make a bird room in our new home.

Is a bird with clipped wings meant to fly?

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
ooooohhhh....This subject, IMO, needs to be discussed :yapyap: ...Yay!
Ok, this got a bit long, but I hope it can help.

:sennie: The Story of How Ki got his Wings :

Ki was clipped as a baby when I first got him...(and I knew nothing)
I thought he was safe that way, that's what they had told me.
:devil:.......

For 1/2 of Ki's first year : He would go outside with me, on my shoulder every day to get the mail- down the drive & back, then sit in the Valencia tree, and then back inside. He was pretty timid, afraid to jump or step too far. :shrug:
One day- a crow overhead spooked him, :rvn1: and he took off!!!! Flying! about 10' off the ground- he was a block away in the blink of an eye!!:heelp: ( :( insert a horrible 3 hours here ) ...
A neighbor helped me search...he was silent- and the noise of other birds and cars etc seemed deafening as I anxiously tried to call to him and listen for him. We finally spotted him...he had flown a good two blocks away, under some sheltering trees next to a house, and had landed on a phone wire going into the house...about 6' off the ground. He sat there, silent and still, as I went up to him and
:hangin: he stepped right onto my shoulder. Tears were falling, I was so relieved and thankful he was ok. I was shocked that happened and it made me wake up.
I quickly did a lot of research, and found out how terribly ignorant I was... :o: but I corrected my thinking, and behavior, that was the last time we went outside like that- when he was 6 mo. old.
Now when we go outside, he is in a carrier or the Port-a-Pet. He hates harnesses.

:pooryou: I could have lost my heart that day, I was so sadly uninformed, that it could have cost my baby his life! :sad13:

That's probably why I am so outspoken about this issue when it comes up. Ki is now 8 years old...he has been flighted ever since...and YES,
he did not know how,:learntofly: and was clumsy, :shocked5: and bumped into walls.. :banghead: and fell down :shocked4: and couldn't steer himself,:imok:and it was scary.
But- you know what? HE LEARNED!!! All of that, he learned. It took weeks for him, (once they had grown in) to be able to fly with his new wings...even just straight and then land on something .
But, let me tell you...on the sweet day that he flew:fly2: (yet again) towards the wall, and then turned and came back and landed on me :jawdrop1: ...I was so joyful and proud of him! :heart: :dancing: :heart:

That opened up a whole new world for him, :loveshower: and he practiced and practiced every day. Soon, he was making circles, and learning how to pull up and land on every kind of surface. I noticed that his demeanor was changing...still sweet as pie...but more confident, and happier. So much happier, :birdance: that his playfulness constantly made me laugh, he was becoming fearless, and every day he learned new things, and pushed his own limits (like hanging upside down and dropping onto a surface). Oh yeah- and he's gotten much stronger physically! :weights: I'm very impressed with how much he has learned about flight, and maneuvers. Because, he can turn in mid-air, in the space of about 12", he can fly straight up from the ground, he can also fly away from bedtime... :naughty: (lol) but I wouldn't have it any other way.
:feeldance: Because I have a bird in my life. :feeldance2:

Of course if your baby has never flown, he will bump into things. :shocked5: This is the hardest part ...you need to let them. :carryon: I mean, plan to make your home as safe as you can, and allow him to learn in a room where you can have landing places for him, and perhaps even some padding if you are worried. But that IS how they learn...:what:they have to figure it out, little by little. :bbundies:

It is SO WORTH IT!! to allow this to happen. To work a bit extra to make your home safe for flight- it is doable in any home. As they improve, and you introduce them to different places, you can train them where and how to fly better. Takes patience, and the will to let your kid skin his knee a few times. They can learn. So can you! There is much support and info out there to be able to do it safely...and much myth about how clipped wings keep them safer....it doesn't. It seems that way...in the short term. But- if you will become determined- to get through the awkward stages....and be there every step of the way- your bird will learn, and give them some credit to do so...soon they will self-navigate, and control it.
I know that there are some very very rare cases in which it is critical for the birds safety, recovery from injury etc...to clip. :besafe: However- This is my heart-felt plea: Please consider.... with Empathy...letting your babies have their wings.
:heart: -Celia

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe

Funny thing, I was just thinking about this last night as I was making Elvis's chop. He was flying to the kitchen counter, back to his cage for water, then to the couch, back to the kitchen counter...:rolleyes: & then it dawned on me..WOW!! before he could fly he probably felt like a handicaped person without a wheel chair, and not being able to speak.:(..this warm wonderful feeling came over me.:xflove:. gosh darn it, if he's thirsty he can choose to get water, if he's hungry, he can choose to eat at his leasure, if he feels like playing, he can do so by flying to his cage..and if he FEELS like being in my company...that too is his choice to make...doing what he was born to do...FLY!!:)...don't get me wrong....it's ALOT more work for me..but in the long run, the love I have for him always prevails..:joyful:

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
These stories make me happy. Birds are meant to fly.
When birds get scared or spooked the instinct is to fly. Whether their wings are clipped or not. I've been trying to teach Eros that he can fly. If he got spooked he'd just jump and fall on the floor or to the bottom of his cage, which can hurt them severely since they lack a diaphram.

I turn him upside down on my thumb while I'm laying down, hold him about 10 inches away from my chest and wait for him to jump. At first he hesitated a lot. Then he started to hold on with only one foot, he'd loosen his grip but then quickly grabbed on again. Eventually he started to drop and he seemed to enjoy it. After a while I held him just a bit higher and he'd fly just a little to land on the bed. I was so happy when he did this.

Now when he gets spooked, instead of dropping to the floor, he flies. He crashed a few times, just like ArtBird said, that's how they are going to learn. Just 2 days ago he was hopping around on the bed, got spooked by something and flew. He actually landed on the playsplay stand on top of his cage. I was so proud of him it was great!

Birds that can fly are meant to fly. Penguins swim, ducks float, chickens strut, emus run, parrots fly. ^w^

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Initially I bought Zazu as a clipped baby, but he's fully flighted now. I think he loves it. When he first realized he could fly higher, he seemed so excited and really took advantage of it. Now he does circles around the room, it's great exercise!

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
Funny thing, I was just thinking about this last night as I was making Elvis's chop. He was flying to the kitchen counter, back to his cage for water, then to the couch, back to the kitchen counter...:rolleyes: & then it dawned on me..WOW!! before he could fly he probably felt like a handicaped person without a wheel chair, and not being able to speak.:(..this warm wonderful feeling came over me.:xflove:. gosh darn it, if he's thirsty he can choose to get water, if he's hungry, he can choose to eat at his leasure, if he feels like playing, he can do so by flying to his cage..and if he FEELS like being in my company...that too is his choice to make...doing what he was born to do...FLY!!:)...don't get me wrong....it's ALOT more work for me..but in the long run, the love I have for him always prevails..:joyful:

My Snowball would do the same thing while I was living with my mom. Sadly she's not able to since the dog and cat seem to want to capture her. Can't wait to move and complete the bird room.

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe

My Snowball would do the same thing while I was living with my mom. Sadly she's not able to since the dog and cat seem to want to capture her. Can't wait to move and complete the bird room.
Thing is, I put Nubi (my cat) in my bedroom while Elvis is loose in the living room. As far as Nala (my dog) is concerned...well, she hides from Elvis:DI ALWAYS keep a vigilant eye...plus, I live alone.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia

There is evidence to suggest that clipping makes birds less able to escape from predators, so you are not making her ay safer by clipping. Just something to think about. But- even with flighted birds- I would never allow them in the same room as dogs or cats that are preying on them. Would you keep your cat or dog locked up in one room? Cat room? Dog room? Birds are social flock creatures, and do not do well being isolated. I hope you are taking this into account, and allow them a lot of time OUT of the "bird room" to interact with family.. You take on a harder life when you decide to own both predators and prey animals...please don't take short-cuts that make the birds pay.

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
There is evidence to suggest that clipping makes birds less able to escape from predators, so you are not making her ay safer by clipping. Just something to think about. But- even with flighted birds- I would never allow them in the same room as dogs or cats that are preying on them. Would you keep your cat or dog locked up in one room? Cat room? Dog room? Birds are social flock creatures, and do not do well being isolated. I hope you are taking this into account, and allow them a lot of time OUT of the "bird room" to interact with family.. You take on a harder life when you decide to own both predators and prey animals...please don't take short-cuts that make the birds pay.

None of my birds are clipped and never will be again. I do take Buddy, Eros & Snowball out and into the living room and kitchen with me from time to time. The dog and cat are taken care of by my mother-in-law. I live with her. The cat isn't really the issue. Eros has flown to her several times and she doesn't even pay attention to him. It's the dog who I'm worried about. I still would never leave my birds in a room alone with any other pets.

I keep the birds in my room, which is where I spend most of my time since I'm sick all the time. The bird room will be a room where they can fly around in. I don't want another dog or cat but my husband wants a dog. Bosco is getting old and he doesn't want to be without a dog. I have decided to make them their own room to keep them safe but can be free to fly as well. I spend plenty of time with my birds. I am a part of their flock. I don't work due to being disable so I'm with the birds almost 24/7. We will also have an outside aviary and I have a few other ideas. My birds are spoiled brats and I wouldn't have it any other way. Lol.

My friend was an ex zoo keeper and he had a bird room. He spent a lot of time there and I helped him with cleaning and socializing the flock. He wouldn't trust his own husband with his birds, but he trusted me. I know what I'm doing. Working with birds and being part of a flock is all I've ever wanted. I'm not going to deprive my husband of a dog. I love my birds, he loves his dog. We have plenty ideas which we are both excited to work on.

Hanging out with Buddy right now. We're watching a show and he's grinding his beak being a happy bird. I've had birds since I was about 10, I believe. My grandma got me my first bird, Wilkin the parakeet. Ever since then I've loved birds and read about them, done research, learn their language, study anatomy, and I'm still learning about different species. I am a part of their flock. I do whatever I can to keep my babies happy. As my name states I am "Owned By Birds!"

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
Well, it depends on the birdroom and the set-up, doesn't it? Don't look at it from a dog perspective because they have been domesicated for over 30,000 years and bred for hundreds of generations to be human-oriented, parrots are completely different. If you keep a number of birds cage-free in a room fitted to their needs, a birdroom is infinitely better than keeping a couple of birds in separate cages more than 20 hours a day in the middle of a human living area where you cannot give them the temperature, humidity, safety, solar schedule, exercise, etc that they would have in their own room.

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
Well, it depends on the birdroom and the set-up, doesn't it? Don't look at it from a dog perspective because they have been domesicated for over 30,000 years and bred for hundreds of generations to be human-oriented, parrots are completely different. If you keep a number of birds cage-free in a room fitted to their needs, a birdroom is infinitely better than keeping a couple of birds in separate cages more than 20 hours a day in the middle of a human living area where you cannot give them the temperature, humidity, safety, solar schedule, exercise, etc that they would have in their own room.[/quot]

Exactly. ^w^ I even plan on having a misting system. The room lighting will be scheduled and they will have as much sunlight come in as possible. The ideal temp for birds is higher than some people like. When we have birds they adjust to OUR ideal temperature. They will have many perches mounted on the wall, rope ladders and toys all over. Even some bird-safe plants and some bird sounds/music since they seem to love it. And the door system will be fitted for their safety. So they don't accidentally fly out of the room. I will be spending a lot of time in there. My husband will have to pry me out. XD jkjkjk

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
Damn everything I wrote just got erased.....
I was saying that I'll even have a misting system for them. They'll have perches mounted to the wall, rope ladders and toys all over. Birds ideal temp is higher than a lot of people's ideal temp. When birds live with us they adjust to our ideal temp. They will have a lighting system and as much sunlight in the room as possible. Some bird-safe plants and bird sounds because they seem to like it. And will also have a safety system for the door. So they don't accidentally fly out of the room.

ddy13

Walking the driveway
Two of my original love birds were not fully flayers, Now all eleven are fully flayers, the seven kids have never been clipped