• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you have full flight birds

Whats your bird(s) flight status?

• yes, my bird(s) are full-flight

Votes: 548 66.0%
  • No, my bird(s) are clipped

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Some of my birds are clipped and some arent

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • Im considering full-flight but my bird(s) are currently clipped

Votes: 80 9.6%

• Total voters

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
My GCC is fully flighted and a fantastic flier! But we had to clip Gracie's wings as she was hurting herself and Smokie's wings are already clipped ): looking for them to grow out

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
It's a traumatic experience when a bird gets it's wings clipped. They are not meant to be clipped. But in certain situations it may be ok.

ddy13

Walking the driveway
My GCC is fully flighted and a fantastic flier! But we had to clip Gracie's wings as she was hurting herself and Smokie's wings are already clipped ): looking for them to grow out
Hopefully they will get used to the routine, if not clear curtains should help, also have a place for them to land helps. mine did learn.

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
I also don't like bands on the bird's leg. No, I HATE it. I can understand losing a bird and having the band number. I just don't like it. Wing clipping and leg bands are not things I'm fond of.

If I had wings I wouldn't want anyone to clip them. If your bird is constantly crashing into things while fully flighted, it can still get hurt and crash even worse when clipped.

Aequa

Real Name
Caity
How was she hurting herself?
She is from a pet shop where they did not know how to treat her, she is very jumpy and whenever she was spooked she would fly full force into the top of the cage and keep going for several minutes despite a variety of approaches to calm her down. The last straw was when we saw blood. Instead she now climbs up and down the furtherest side of her cage and is slowly growing braver and not as frightful. I do not regret clipping her to keep her safe. If humans put her in a cage and destroy her knowledge fo surviving in the wild, we need to teach her to handle the cage.
As for being traumatic, that is an opinion, there are many happy birds who are not flighted, as well as runner birds who can never fly due to their genes. One could say it's also a traumatic experience to be in a cage, a bird is meant to be in the sky :)

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
She is from a pet shop where they did not know how to treat her, she is very jumpy and whenever she was spooked she would fly full force into the top of the cage and keep going for several minutes despite a variety of approaches to calm her down. The last straw was when we saw blood. Instead she now climbs up and down the furtherest side of her cage and is slowly growing braver and not as frightful. I do not regret clipping her to keep her safe. If humans put her in a cage and destroy her knowledge fo surviving in the wild, we need to teach her to handle the cage.
As for being traumatic, that is an opinion, there are many happy birds who are not flighted, as well as runner birds who can never fly due to their genes. One could say it's also a traumatic experience to be in a cage, a bird is meant to be in the sky :)

THAT is one of the acceptable reasons for wing clipping. I'm glad she's getting better. Hopefully she'll be ok with her wings at some point. And yes, that is true about the cage. Though the birds we get most likely would not survive outside. I hate cages. This is why I'll be making a bird room and an aviary (or several) XD

Aequa

Real Name
Caity

THAT is one of the acceptable reasons for wing clipping. I'm glad she's getting better. Hopefully she'll be ok with her wings at some point. And yes, that is true about the cage. Though the birds we get most likely would not survive outside. I hate cages. This is why I'll be making a bird room and an aviary (or several) XD
I don't like clipping wings so I'm hoping to be able to just let her's grow out again. That's what I will be doing with our other princess. Unfortunately, even a house/room or aviary can be classed as a cage. We have the responsibility of helping each of our birds to adapt to the life we give to them. It isn't too bad, they get constant food and fresh water and live much longer - half the pet birds don't even desire to escape. My GCC's father flew away once, within a week and a half this aviary bird flew back to his keeper's shoulder and was gladly put away :)

ArtBird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Well, it depends on the birdroom and the set-up, doesn't it? Don't look at it from a dog perspective because they have been domesicated for over 30,000 years and bred for hundreds of generations to be human-oriented, parrots are completely different. If you keep a number of birds cage-free in a room fitted to their needs, a birdroom is infinitely better than keeping a couple of birds in separate cages more than 20 hours a day in the middle of a human living area where you cannot give them the temperature, humidity, safety, solar schedule, exercise, etc that they would have in their own room.
Yes, , that's assuming that birds are going to be kept in their cages for 20+ hours per day...
that is just sad and uncool imo. then why have them at all...just pretty things to look at?

My Ki is out almost 90% of the time, and even sleeps out on occasion, when I'm off work. He is a part of my life...and his needs actually usually come ahead of my own. (I guess that's what they mean by owned-by-birds)

I know a lot of people can't/won't set up their homes to accommodate their birds needs 100%...and, I'm not saying that a bird room is altogether a bad idea...but hopefully, people aren't thinking, Oh, I have a bird room now, I can let them stay in there 100% of the time.

I hope that people realize just how much social interaction a bird needs to be truly healthy and a happy little head-bobber. :)

Last edited:

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
I don't like clipping wings so I'm hoping to be able to just let her's grow out again. That's what I will be doing with our other princess. Unfortunately, even a house/room or aviary can be classed as a cage. We have the responsibility of helping each of our birds to adapt to the life we give to them. It isn't too bad, they get constant food and fresh water and live much longer - half the pet birds don't even desire to escape. My GCC's father flew away once, within a week and a half this aviary bird flew back to his keeper's shoulder and was gladly put away :)

If a house is a cage then I live in a cage. Yes, we do have that responsibility, I completely agree. And it isn't bad, like you said. Fresh food and water, heat, toys, etc. Not every bird escapes and returns. Whether you think they'll come back or not is irrelevant.

I'd rather keep my birds as safe as possible, with little chance to escape and as much room as possible. The room and aviaries I plan on building is probably not what you're imagining. These are big projects my husband and I will be working on. Once we move and finish it all I'll have to post pics and make a video.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I also don't like bands on the bird's leg. No, I HATE it. I can understand losing a bird and having the band number. I just don't like it. Wing clipping and leg bands are not things I'm fond of.

If I had wings I wouldn't want anyone to clip them. If your bird is constantly crashing into things while fully flighted, it can still get hurt and crash even worse when clipped.
My avian vet recommends removing the leg bands...they can be dangerous. There is NO NEED to keep them on once they are grown. It is for the breeders benefit not the birds. I'm sure, it's like a "receipt" you can keep it in an envelope in a drawer if you need it. o_O

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
My flock won't be confined to just that room. I call it the bird room because it will be set up as theirs only. As I said before, mounting perches on the wall, the bird safe plants, misting system, lighting system, etc. I will take them in any and every room, however, when the dog is around I do not want to take any chance of them being hurt. Thus, the aviaries. I will spend most of my time with them. We eat together, listen to music together, sleep together, wake up together. I am a part of their flock. ^w^

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
My flock won't be confined to just that room. I call it the bird room because it will be set up as theirs only. As I said before, mounting perches on the wall, the bird safe plants, misting system, lighting system, etc. I will take them in any and every room, however, when the dog is around I do not want to take any chance of them being hurt. Thus, the aviaries. I will spend most of my time with them. We eat together, listen to music together, sleep together, wake up together. I am a part of their flock. ^w^
That is cool... :)

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
Yes, , that's assuming that birds are going to be kept in their cages for 20+ hours per day... that is just sad and uncool imo. then why have them at all...just pretty things to look at?
How long do you think that people who work full time have their birds out during the week? Maybe 2 - 3 hours and those are the super-dedicated ones! If you get home at 6 pm you really do not have much time to spend with your bird (people cook, eat, watch TV, get their clothes ready for the next day, etc and that's when you have no children!).

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i have 5 parrots not one of them can safely interact with each other. i work 40+ hours a week, a retail schedule. on my worst day, a 10 to 7 shift, my flock is out 4+ hours. if i'm home, doors are open. a normal day they're out for 6 or 7 hrs, a day off? from morning til nite.
you can do it if you want to. having a pet (dog, cat, bird) requires lifestyle change. not wanting to do that is not a bad thing, but it means you shouldnt have a pet. just my opinion. doesnt mean my thoughts are right. doesnt mean they're wrong. it's just what i think.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I also don't like bands on the bird's leg. No, I HATE it. I can understand losing a bird and having the band number. I just don't like it.
Statistically, every parrot will have something like 7 homes in their lifetime. IMO that is reason enough for bands. I have 2 birds who came to me as adults without bands. They are from unknown breeders in unknown states and of unknown ages. In fact, I'm not entirely sure of their subspecies. Not that any of that matters too much of course. I have no idea if either of these birds is micro-chipped because I haven't had a vet check for a chip.

When I lived aboard a sailboat and we sailed on the Great Lakes, we entered into Canada with the birds enroute from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario. The bands on the birds allowed me to do this. It would have been much more difficult if they were not banded.

These are just a couple reasons I think banding may be useful.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Statistically, every parrot will have something like 7 homes in their lifetime. IMO that is reason enough for bands. I have 2 birds who came to me as adults without bands. They are from unknown breeders in unknown states and of unknown ages. In fact, I'm not entirely sure of their subspecies. Not that any of that matters too much of course. I have no idea if either of these birds is micro-chipped because I haven't had a vet check for a chip.

When I lived aboard a sailboat and we sailed on the Great Lakes, we entered into Canada with the birds enroute from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario. The bands on the birds allowed me to do this. It would have been much more difficult if they were not banded.

These are just a couple reasons I think banding may be useful.
While this info is indeed important, it does not need to be carried on the bird.
My Avian Vet has seen bands severely damage birds. IMO- its a better idea to remove them, and keep them safely somewhere perhaps in a file with the vet records. If they have to be re-homed they go with the bird. Just like dogs, cats, horses. Why don't we place bands on dogs and cats?? Because its not very humane. Nor is it on birds. My Ki sometimes bites his, and sometimes it seems to irritate him, I can tell he doesn't like it. We're having it removed like our vet suggested.