• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do I need glass jars for sprouting?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
All my sprouts went bad! Two were in 85 degrees so I can understand that but my sunflowers had no reason to start smelling. I have lots of easy sprouters made of plastic

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:(

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Maybe you can sprout them in the fridge immediately after soaking? That's what I've been doing ever since I read Poukiebear's thread about sprouting. My sprouts used to sprout too fast but this way slows it down considerably

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Maybe you can sprout them in the fridge immediately after soaking? That's what I've been doing ever since I read Poukiebear's thread about sprouting. My sprouts used to sprout too fast but this way slows it down considerably
I’ll track down her thread. Thanks

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I bleach my EZ sprouters every few times.
They have been designed for good airflow if you follow the directions.
Much better airflow than glass jars.
85 degrees sounds like bad conditions to sprout, but I think a refrig would slow it too much.
My kitchen is about 65 and the kitchen cupboard above the basement boiler gets to 70s, so I have it worked out.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I bleach my EZ sprouters every few times.
They have been designed for good airflow if you follow the directions.
Much better airflow than glass jars.
85 degrees sounds like bad conditions to sprout, but I think a refrig would slow it too much.
My kitchen is about 65 and the kitchen cupboard above the basement boiler gets to 70s, so I have it worked out.

I’ve never tried bleach. Put a teaspoon of bleach in a filled ez sprouter?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I know @Eloy uses plastic containers, but I'm not sure if she reuses them.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You can do them in any container that keeps them moist. I have some sprouting in a breakfast bowl because my sprout grower does not keep them moist enough in the warmer weather.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I’ve never tried bleach. Put a teaspoon of bleach in a filled ez sprouter?
yeah, I just fill it not quite full with water, put the slotted domed lid on as I use that too, plus a glug of bleach.
I like to slowly raise and lower couple times to get bleach moving in the bottom slots of the inner cup. and let it sit at least 15 min.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I use the plastic easy sprouter, too. I run it in the top shelf of the dishwasher between batches. I've never had a problem and have used it at least a decade.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I use Ball canning jars with a lid that has a mesh screen on it. I purchased from Amazon...... two of them so I always have one sprouting and one soaking. I soak for 12-24 hours and then into the fridge. They continue sprouting in the fridge but s-l-o-w-l-y, also.......I live in the Pacific Northwest and it is not warm and humid up here. I wash them in the dishwasher.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Also I have some soup bowls that are just the right diameter to lean the canning jars at about a 45 degree angle against the sides. So the water just drains out easy peezy and I rinse, clean and dry the bowl every time I rinse the sprouts........and I do rinse about three times a day. Maybe a little anal, but I want to make sure they are clean and not molding. I always smell before I feed, but have never had a bad batch (I'm knocking on wood).

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I don't really bother, tbh. My birds love throwing seeds in the flower pots. All I do is wash them off once they sprout.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I've tried those plastic three tier sprouting trays and glass jars. Personally I have more success with glass jars but that could just be me. I ordered two really cool sprouting lids for large mason jars. Makes straining so much easier.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I've tried those plastic three tier sprouting trays and glass jars. Personally I have more success with glass jars but that could just be me. I ordered two really cool sprouting lids for large mason jars. Makes straining so much easier.
Where did you get the lids? They sound great!

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Where did you get the lids? They sound great!
Amazon actually- here's the link.

Amazon.com: Masontops Bean Screen Plastic Mason Jar Sprouting Lids for Wide Mouth Mason Jars - Grow Bean Sprouts, Alfalfa, Salad Sprouts and More - 2 Pack: Kitchen & Dining

I like them a lot because they have a little inverted spout in the lid which prevents the sprouts from pancaking up at the top when straining. The drainage holse are small enough where you can sprout alfalfa and broccoli and radish seeds without losing any.

They only fit the large mason jars though. We bought these 32 oz jars: Amazon.com: Ball Quart Jar with Silver Lid, Wide Mouth, Set of 2: Kitchen & Dining

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I use these:
3A961FE4-5AE2-4ABC-A9D3-20EE0AE57A82.jpeg
Rinse twice a day and try to shake off excess water.
Sometimes I stack it like in the picture for extra ventilation.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The glass lids with the steel mesh are the best ones to use I think. My grandfather always had and used that type of sprouts grower and they were so much easier and better to use than the plastic tray ones. I have the plastic tray grower now but I do not always use them because they do not keep the sprouts wet enough before they sprout which is why I often have them start off in a big soup bowl.
Does anyone know how many days almonds should take to sprout? I have not done them before but have some in now and I am waiting for them to sprout.