• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do I need glass jars for sprouting?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Perfect post... be forwarned, This is not a help, adding questions. Maybe ya'll can help me decide...

I've been wanting to try doing sprouting w/for Buddy. Right up until I read you can get salmonella poisoning from it. I know the nutrition for Buddy & I would be good. Very concerned about making us sick. After last fall & him having what the vet thought was salmonella in his mouth, I never want him to go thru it again.

Thoughts?

:bluhug: Rain

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Perfect post... be forwarned, This is not a help, adding questions. Maybe ya'll can help me decide...

I've been wanting to try doing sprouting w/for Buddy. Right up until I read you can get salmonella poisoning from it. I know the nutrition for Buddy & I would be good. Very concerned about making us sick. After last fall & him having what the vet thought was salmonella in his mouth, I never want him to go thru it again.

Thoughts?

:bluhug: Rain

If you change the water frequently every day (minimum of four or five with a rinse or two also) you will be fine. You can also add vinegar to the water if you like although I am not sure of how much or if you can taste it so that is something you may wish to either ask about or test yourself.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I tried a glass one with a SS screen and I just don't like it as much as the Easy Sprouters!

When it is hot out I rinse every 4 hours instead of every 8. I also make sure to swirl the sprouter a LOT and bang it on the side of the sink a few times after I am done rinsing to get as much water out as possible.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought about vinegar rinse. I actually use salt, vinegar, & lemon juice mixed with water in a spray bottle to clean almost all fruits & veggies. I figured it would remove pesticides & hopefully eradicate the toughest of bacteria.

I think he actually got that bacterial infection from that slime water that was in his dish for 4 days. Or I did it with a sponge. I no longer use sponges/sponge tools. I hate for any pet to ever suffer. The vet says his bloodwork is Great. Do I need to change something that isn't broke?

Fear is my greatest enemy these days I think. Thanks for all your input!

:gbh: Rain

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The only problem with vinegar is that it can stop the sprouts from sprouting, so should only be used on the final rinse.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I thought about vinegar rinse.
I do a final rinse with a splash of vinegar then right into the fridge. Our sprouts take right off even in the fridge. You can tell by taste and smell usually if they have gone off. I tend to throw them out before they need to be pitched also just in case. Radish sprouts do smell at least to me! I thought the first time I did those that they went bad right away so I tossed them out but they just have a bad smell to me so I keep those separate from the other types of sprouts.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I do a final rinse with a splash of vinegar then right into the fridge. Our sprouts take right off even in the fridge. You can tell by taste and smell usually if they have gone off. I tend to throw them out before they need to be pitched also just in case. Radish sprouts do smell at least to me! I thought the first time I did those that they went bad right away so I tossed them out but they just have a bad smell to me so I keep those separate from the other types of sprouts.
Post a picture of your bird!:)

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
You will need to sanitize the sprouter, after getting bad mix.

There are many different ways to sprout.
Personally I do not think most plastic sprouters do have good air flow.
And another issue I found was germinating very small seeds. As these seeds either block the drains or run straight through.

Glass is so much easier to sanitize, same as stainless.

First I would be checking where your sprout mix is any good. Has it became stale. Or you have been sold some bad seed.
Do you buy a mix or blend your own?

Sprout in the fridge. It does mean you will have to allow long period. Which could lead more issues.
But 80+F sounds like it is getting to warm to be safe, without GSE or vinegar, as a sanitizer.
Jason Crean's group. Or Parrot Station, in files, where I have updated my sprouting details.

I know my thread on all things sprouting has become very messy.
But if you look through it, you may come across others who had issues with bought sprouters.
Sad that most of the photos have been blocked.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thank you so much @clawnz. I buy my mixes and seeds from sprout people.