• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do betta fish need a heater?

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Finally getting lil Pip the tank he deserves and it came with a filter but no heater. Wondering if I need to grab one when I go out and get him more food.
His tank is 5.5 gallons so any recommendations on type/size/etc would be appreciated as well :)

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
They do best with a heater, and you'll see quite the difference in him with one.
They're tropical fish, so I'd recommend a temp. of 78-82 degrees. :)

As far as recommendations, I tried a "mini heater" for my late Betta once and the temp. always fluctuated quite a bit. Even dropped to high 60's one night, and I threw it out the next day.

So personally, I would stay away from them. Just not reliable, IMO.

This was the one, I believe: Aqueon Supplies 276883 Mini Heater - 10 Watt

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I would suggest spending a little extra and getting a nice heater with a built-in thermostat. The cheap immersible (hang-on) heaters typically have off-low-med-high settings, which make it harder to maintain certain temperatures, especially in a smaller tank. I'm partial to submersible heaters that have a temperature dial, like the Marineland Visi-terms and Precisions. They're what I've used in all of my tropical tanks.

As for size, you'll want something between 25 and 50watts, depending on how cool your house usually is. Typically the rule of thumb is 5 watts per gallon of water, but I'm wary of very small heaters (I've had a fair share malfunction) and typically go with a slightly larger heater with a thermostat.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I would suggest spending a little extra and getting a nice heater with a built-in thermostat. The cheap immersible (hang-on) heaters typically have off-low-med-high settings, which make it harder to maintain certain temperatures, especially in a smaller tank. I'm partial to submersible heaters that have a temperature dial, like the Marineland Visi-terms and Precisions. They're what I've used in all of my tropical tanks.

As for size, you'll want something between 25 and 50watts, depending on how cool your house usually is. Typically the rule of thumb is 5 watts per gallon of water, but I'm wary of very small heaters (I've had a fair share malfunction) and typically go with a slightly larger heater with a thermostat.

They do best with a heater, and you'll see quite the difference in him with one.
They're tropical fish, so I'd recommend a temp. of 78-82 degrees. :)

As far as recommendations, I tried a "mini heater" for my late Betta once and the temp. always fluctuated quite a bit. Even dropped to high 60's one night, and I threw it out the next day.

So personally, I would stay away from them. Just not reliable, IMO.

This was the one, I believe: Aqueon Supplies 276883 Mini Heater - 10 Watt

Thanks so much guys.
I got a tetra HT10 50W submersible heater. It keeps the water at 78+/-2 degrees. It's got a red light to indicate when it's on and a green when the water is the right temp. I wanted to get something nicer but don't really have the money right now. Hopefully this'll do the job for now and I can upgrade in the next couple of months :)
Thanks again! I'll post pictures when it's all up and running :D

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad you got a heater!

But... :needpics:

Reactions: Lo_

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry

Thanks so much guys.
I got a tetra HT10 50W submersible heater. It keeps the water at 78+/-2 degrees. It's got a red light to indicate when it's on and a green when the water is the right temp. I wanted to get something nicer but don't really have the money right now. Hopefully this'll do the job for now and I can upgrade in the next couple of months :)
Thanks again! I'll post pictures when it's all up and running :D
Those heaters are junk. Many cases of fatal overheating, even the heater exploding.

I would take it back and save the money until you can get something better. I like my Jager heater. Amazon.com : EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 50W : Pet Supplies

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
oooohhh no...hope you can take it back if its no good. Arrgh don't want to cook lil guy.

Reactions: Lo_

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yeah, now Pip can be toasty without being toast...:dance4:

Any pics of Pip in his new tank?

Impressive benz of heaters...says its made in Germany...goodness it could last you 20 years.

It's hard to find stuff like that these days with China junk lasting a few years if you are lucky & not cooking your fish..

EHEIM thermocontrol 25W

Now I wish I could find someone who knows quality recordable dvd's

Last edited:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Get an Eheim Jager.

BTW you should learn about proper filter maintenance and how mechanical, chemical, and bio filtration work. An improperly setup or maintained filter is next to worthless. You should also try to cycle his tank fast so he doesnt have to suffer ammonia burns. Get some cycled filter media from a local friend and get some Marineland Bio-Spira (if you are in the USA) or the seachem version if you are in Canada.

Also you need to be careful with the current for betas. They are VERY weak swimmers and cant tolerate strong or moderate current. At the same time you want there to be enough flow that there are no dead spots.

I suggest that you pick up the Hikari brand betta food as they do very well on it as well as some frozen bloodworms. Avoid the garbage brands of fish food such as Hagen/Nutrafin/Wardley/Tetra and stick to OSI, Hikari, New Life Spectrum, and other good stuff like that.

Once you've learned how to care for your betta properly a good second fish to move up to in a 10 gallon tank (ideally by itself) would be a paradise gourami

I have worked at an aquarium specialty store and have 20 years of fish keeping/breeding experience so if you have questions shoot me a private message.

Last edited: