• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Disinfecting wood?

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I have a magnolia tree that I want to cut some branches off of for Freddy's cage how do you disinfect this wood I thought I read somewhere to soak it in bleach and then set it in the sun to dry out? How long do you soak something in bleach and then let it sit in the Sun?

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
What a great question! I will be watching for the replies you get!

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I have a magnolia tree that I want to cut some branches off of for Freddy's cage how do you disinfect this wood I thought I read somewhere to soak it in bleach and then set it in the sun to dry out? How long do you soak something in bleach and then let it sit in the Sun?
First I hose off the wood to clean off any dirt and debris with a spray attachment to hose.Then I mix up a dilution of bleach and water in a spray bottle and saturate the wood branches, let dry in sun turning frequently to ensure all areas of branch are getting UV sunlight to kill any remaining bacteria and mold. To dry out in sunlight, also bleach self neutralizes once dry. Once bleached logs have dried, I give a second rinse and dry in sunlight.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Good,but what about a low baking in oven?

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Last edited:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Yes if it's a small branch, I haul in huge logs and branches won't fit in oven, ultraviolet light kills bacteria and mold.
@camelotshadow ...like this
View attachment 277681 View attachment 277680
These pictures are what's motivating me! Freddy would love branches like that in his cage. Of course I will have to put them somewhere in the room first so he's not afraid of it! Ugh! This poor bird. It's so much work to get him to just be a bird!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
These pictures are what's motivating me! Freddy would love branches like that in his cage. Of course I will have to put them somewhere in the room first so he's not afraid of it! Ugh! This poor bird. It's so much work to get him to just be a bird!
It also serves as enrichment, they enjoy ripping off the bark. And giving their feet therapeutic stretching on wide wood.After a couple days I bet Freddy will love it . :xflove: he will get to be a bird ,they look and act right at home on real tree branches!

Last edited:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@Nancy B ...if your handy ,and willing to put in some construction work you could haul a huge forked tree and set in cement in a planter . I was to lazy for that I just prop them up against the cage .
Yes I am working on a boing stand, a shepherds hook set in a large planter in cement and construction foam. It's a double one, the opposite side will have a rattan platform swing I made. Still waiting for him to approach it! I have to finish that but right now it's propped in a corner across from his cage.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@Just-passn-thru your birds are so beautiful in their aviary. Wow look at the trees they've got!
I lugged home eucalyptus trunks from our local veterans park, along the hiking trails there are huge fallen logs and branches, i asked the park maintenance people permission, they said it was ok to take.when I first set up their outdoor aviary I put some of my Black Bamboo I had potted up , but I removed them because they chewed them down . Now I just cut them some to chew they love the fresh clumps.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
You mean just the sun only and no bleach? Thx
I do both. To be extra safe.I was referring to the natural sunlight being free as opposed to using the oven, saves on cost of energy ,ultraviolet light is a natural disinfectant and kills mold spores. :)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I do both. To be extra safe.I was referring to the natural sunlight being free as opposed to using the oven, saves on cost of energy ,ultraviolet light is a natural disinfectant and kills mold spores. :)
Told @rocky'smom to put her cellulitis leg in the sun for say 15-20 min!!!