• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Disinfecting wood?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I wash the dirt and loose bits off with clean high pressure water, sun dry then I use straight vinegar and spray the branches till they are wet through with straight vinegar. Then I rinse off with boiling water and sun dry. I am not overly keen on using bleach very often but I have purchased some veterinary grade disinfectant that should be here this afternoon. I will give that a try and see what it is like. I tend to use vinegar and boiling water or the steamer (hand held cleaner thing) to disinfect most things as I can not stand the smell of bleach and I also worry about the effects of using it. I do have it but it gets used very rarely.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
tend to use vinegar and boiling water or the steamer (hand held cleaner thing) to disinfect most things as I can not stand the smell of bleach and I also worry about the effects of using it. I do have it but it gets used very rarely.
Vinegar is another option I don't care for the smell of vinegar. It's a personal choice.
When bleach (or any other source of chlorine is “used up” (or chemically, reduced) it ‘turns into’ salt. That is the positive Cl ion becomes a negative Cl, or chloride ion. That’s salt.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
have purchased some veterinary grade disinfectant that should be here this afternoon. I will give that a try and see what it is like.
I use F10 for disinfecting their cages and other nonporous surfaces, due to the large areas of tree branches its not cost effective. Most disinfecting solutions are formulated to work on nonporous surfaces.

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I use F10 for disinfecting their cages and other surfaces, due to the large areas of tree branches it is not cost effective. Most disinfecting solutions are formulated to work on nonporous surfaces.
Thanks for that. This is the first time I have purchased the F10 and yes it would certainly be expensive to use on large branches. Just had it delivered now and I will only be using it the way you said you use it.
Also, the bleach issue I am concerned about the most is my clothes and carpets being bleached, lol. I seem to be the only one in the house who does not get it splashed everywhere. The smell is something I really can not deal with but I do not mind the smell of vinegar. Funny how we are all so different with things like smells. Weird but I loved the smell of my ferrets but others found it offensive, hehehe.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Weird but I loved the smell of my ferrets but others found it offensive, hehehe.
I rescued a ferret years ago, he was running around in a parking lot. At the time I didn't even know what a ferret was. I thought it was a mink! LOL! I brought him home with me. I named him Muskey because of his smell. I would bathe him once a week . I eventually took him to our veterinarians . Veterinary assistant took him to her ranch,she could give him a better quality of life than what I could at the time provide. My husband said he smelled. I didn't think he smelled bad, just a deep musky smell .

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You are a gem for taking him home to care for him. Most people would not have. I bet he gave you hours of laughter with his crazy antics. They are the funniest little critters.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
You are a gem for taking him home to care for him. Most people would not have. I bet he gave you hours of laughter with his crazy antics. They are the funniest little critters.
He was so cute, he loved his baths, he would roll around and make the cutest chitter sounds. I wanted to keep him ,but my husband said he smelled bad :( I took him to vets to get examined and vet said neutering would help with smell. But then his assistant offered to give him a good home Instead of putting him through that. I think that was the best choice for Musky .

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Positively inspiring! I've decided if I can wait until after we move to buy Buzzard a larger cage, then I may as well buy an aviary; not much more $$ than a double macaw cage. But I've never thought of how to set it up. This. :yes1:This is how Buzzard's aviary will look, right down to the shade on the top. Beautifully done.

Max83

Walking the driveway
if I can suggest (hope no one has done before) other than natural branches inside the cage I attach them even on sides and top of it with cable ties (making sure they are tight enough so the birds can't get toes caught in there).

My cockatiels really enjoy having the outside play area expandend and taller without me having to put too much playstands around the room :) Branches set in this way even give to the cage a more "natural and wild" look I really like. Maybe would work even for you.

I disinfect soaking in pure vinegar or bleach and water and let them dry in natural sunlight